92 olds CS driver door handle

Lissa

Has anybody ever run into this before? I have a 92 olds cutlass supreme S Sedan. Sometimes, when I go to open to the driver door, it won't open. It seems as though the door is locked, even though it's not. I'll either have to open it from the inside, or unlock it with the key in order to get it to open. Is this a security feature? Or do I need to replace the door handle? Anybody know where I can go online to order body parts for this car at a good price? Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

Lissa

lol...I know I'll probably sound like a total ditz, but...lockrods? is that greek? :willynilly: would there be info about that in my Haynes manual? or should I look it up online?

Thanks,

Lissa

I'm in Colorado Springs, CO. And I have little to no mechanical aptitude, lol. If I have VERY explicit instructions, I can get it done. otherwise, I take it to my dad, or to the shop, lol. Course, now I need a new shop, cause the last one I took it to had NO clue(those following my thread in powertrain know what i'm talking about). I'll do a google search and see what I can find. Dad might be able to do something. Only problem there is that, if it's not a ford, mercury, or lincoln, he thinks it's foreign, and he doesn't do foreign cars, lol. Time to bust out the ol' "puppy dog face"!

Thanks for the responses, guys!

Lissa

Well, I can try to explain it. Take off the door panel. Remove all of the screws you can find... ( dont miss the ones at the top where the seatbelt goes in, behind the interior door handle and under the power window/lock plate...some of them can be tricky )...If it doesn't want to pry off fairly easily, you missed a screw. After you got it off, you will see two "rods" going from the interior door handle, to the latch as well as two from the exterior door handle, to the latch. One controls the lock, and the other does the opening and closing. You need to find the one that is attached to the exterior handle, and adjust it.

Basically, the rod "snaps" into the door handle. You need to first unsnap it. Then, turn the threaded-on portion of the rod, so as to make it LONGER. You'll see what I mean when you go to do it. This way will the rod will move farther, and actuate the latch better. Make sure you only move it small amounts at a time. Moving it too far one way or the other could make it not open at all. :wink: It's sounds worse than it really is...

I'm in Colorado Springs, CO. And I have little to no mechanical aptitude, lol. If I have VERY explicit instructions, I can get it done. otherwise, I take it to my dad, or to the shop, lol. Course, now I need a new shop, cause the last one I took it to had NO clue(those following my thread in powertrain know what i'm talking about). I'll do a google search and see what I can find. Dad might be able to do something. Only problem there is that, if it's not a ford, mercury, or lincoln, he thinks it's foreign, and he doesn't do foreign cars, lol. Time to bust out the ol' "puppy dog face"!

Thanks for the responses, guys!

Lissa

As mentioned on that other thread, I can take a look at it if you want when I come out there for my vacation..