Bear big brakes from GM parts direct.

z34_nut

And I assume it would be a difficult task to update the front brakes to late gen w's? If it just involves a couple of minor changes, then I might consider the task. After all...the yards around here a rust free, and there are some 2nd gen cars waiting to be parted.

I wounder this mostly because even with the factory big brake upgrade, slotted rotors and ceramic pads, that my brakes still suck...

I wounder this mostly because even with the factory big brake upgrade, slotted rotors and ceramic pads, that my brakes still suck...

You should try a set of carbon metallic pads. They have quite a bit more "bite" than the ceramic pads do. When I switched from ceramic to carbon metallic on my old Lumina, I definitely noticed increased stopping power. The only downside is that they dust up like a mofo...

And I assume it would be a difficult task to update the front brakes to late gen w's? If it just involves a couple of minor changes, then I might consider the task.

Sure, if you're ready to break out the welder and the plasma cutter, and then hope everything is aligned perfectly when you install them.

• 5 months later...

bumping up the dead but.....

i was looking into upgrading the brakes.. and baer is willing to make 13" front rotors with dual piston calapiers and 12" rears with single pistion i believe.

they wont make me just a "one off" set but said if like 10+ people were intrested the kit would be $2000 or less

bumping up the dead but.....

i was looking into upgrading the brakes.. and baer is willing to make 13" front rotors with dual piston calapiers and 12" rears with single pistion i believe.

they wont make me just a "one off" set but said if like 10+ people were intrested the kit would be $2000 or less

I'd pay anything under $1000 for a front and rear set.

FYI, if you swap to the 94+ style, youll get dual piston calipers up front, and a single piston caliper out back and itll stop plently for you with the right pads and rotors... $2000 seems wayy too much unless your going to be racing it everyday.

First off... 12+13" kits will destroy our SHITTY brakes... even my 94+ brakes suck ass.

2k is kinda steep... but when its for saftey...

Also... Good luck getting 10+... most of the mebers here are broke.

First, nobody on this board is going to pay 2 grand for brakes, save kuntzie. Most of us wouldn't be driving w-bodies if we could afford that.

Second, all W front brakes are dual piston and all rears are single, stock.

Despite what everyone thinks, just imho, the '96+ front and '94+ rear stock upgrades are not great upgrades. They're just better than what we had. They just move it up the scale from "suck" to "adequate." My car HATES to stop. It's just too heavy for the brake sizes and pressures. If I didn't feel slightly safer with the gripper feeling with my PM3 in my TSTE, I would've quit W's long ago.

Most of our cars aren't even worth $2K :lol:

Second, all W front brakes are dual piston and all rears are single, stock.

Actually, the 2G's have a single-piston caliper setup up front, but I'm sure you meant all 1G's have dual-piston calipers...

Check out the GMPD site now. it doesnt show any of the Baer upgrades as being available anymore!!

Oh well, i woulda never done that upgrade anyway. But im still pissed that the Koni Coilovers were discontinued. :evil:

Yeah, if these were cars worth putting $2000 into a brake kit, there would be a nice aftermarket.

Kuntzie, if you want some nice brakes, I'd suggest raping a corvette, fabbing up brackets, and going to town.

Actually, the 2G's have a single-piston caliper setup up front, but I'm sure you meant all 1G's have dual-piston calipers...

yea, sorry, meant first gens.

Most of our cars aren't even worth $2K :lol:

ain't that the truth.

Yeah, if these were cars worth putting $2000 into a brake kit, there would be a nice aftermarket.

Kuntzie, if you want some nice brakes, I'd suggest raping a corvette, fabbing up brackets, and going to town.

ive been trying to figure ouwhat year vette to use, i know some will work though

uhh, out bolt paterns are 115 right? Thats 4.5in. Some older cars (some chevys, fords and mopars) have the 4.5in brakes, with bigger rotors too. Maby those could be adapted to our cars.

food for thought,

88regal limited