Tire Suggestions

Regal_GS_1989

Well, come spring time, the regal is going to be decomissioned from street use for a while while it becomes my project car. That means that the cutlass is going to be my daily and i'm going to be needing tires soon. I have a few questions as to what i am going to put on it.

1. Any particular brand recomendations?

2. I have studded snow tires, so winter traction is not a concern to me. These will only be summer tires.

3. I currently have 225/60/16 on it right now. I wouldn't mind changing them to 245/50/16. Would this be worthwhile, or should i stay with the ones i have.

4. I know that a few people here have bought through tirerack.com Has anyone ever had any problems dealing through them?? There prices with shipping to a pacel shop near the border, and me driving down to pick them up is far less than what i could buy them here for.

245/50 won't fit on the stock wheels, but I do recommend 225/55r16 sizes.

I bought my tires from the tirerack, they had them shipped to my door in 1 business day! No probs at all.

Tirerack is a good place to do business with. Like BrianP said, shipping was very quick.

If your willing to pay a little extra money, Id go with michelins. They have great grip and get great gas mileage ( out of all the tires that Ive had )

I can give props to tire rack. I actually have been there a couple times, my company is installing their new phone system. (as seen on 24 :P ) I plan to go there to have my tires installed on site! they also have a neat test course so you can try out their tires.

Im currently looking at Eagle F1s. There is a $100 rebate on these right now. 235/45R17 in my case (17x7.5" Rims)

I'd looking at getting some Fuzion ZRi tires for my car. Stock tire size are around $125/bucks a tire (CAD$$). They've got good reviews and are W-rated (like 225km/h or something)..

Michelin...my mom has Michelin tires on her Acura and it handles very well. Her tires are pretty hard rubber, but yet they hook up nice to pavement and stick to the ground in the twisties.....but yeah you're gonna want to have those winter tires for winter....her tires are SHIT in snow and ice.

Great, at least i know where Im gonna get my tires from now. I guess i just have to look around and see what I want to get, and also how much I want to spend. As for the 245/50 not fitting, I have a set of 225/60/14 on my regal rims that originally came with 205/70/14, so there is always that chance. Although I will probably stay with 225/60/16

I've had nothing but a positive experience with my Bridgestone Turranzas. They are excellent all season H rated tires. I'd say for more performance look at some of the Potenzas or sportier tires all depending. Otherwise, I'd go with BFGoodrich. I had just an OK experience in the past with Michellin tires.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'm not wanting to spend an arm and a leg on tires, and I seem to have it narrowed down between. The Fuzion ZRi, the Kumho ECSTA ASX. They seem to be nice tires for the money. Like I said before, These are going to be used only in the summer, so winter traction is not an issue to me. I still cant get over how much I can save by going through Tire Rack. Even after the exchange rate, shipping to a little parcel shop across the border, and me driving the hour and 20 to pick them up, and im still saving 150$, if not more for a comparable set locally. :lol:

I have had experience with several different tires on boh vehicles I have owned, plus vehicles my family has bought. Here's what I have found:

Michelin - Fuel efficient, good tire grip, good longevity/quality, quiet. Rides nice but firm sidewall for those tight corners.

Sumitomo (2 sets) - Really fuel efficient, excellent tire grip, really quiet. Handles really nice and rides firm, all H or higher rated. Inexpensive. Grip on loose surfaces suck, so if it snows around there might want to reconsider.

Those are the only two worth considering. Avoid Goodyear Integrity at all costs, my dad got it on his car and the only thing it is good at is lasting longer and making a rumbling noise.

Never buy discount tire brands (i.e. Arizonian, etc) My Intrigue came with them and the sidewals are weak, treadwear is all uneven, and I literally lost a chunk down to the steel belt when I spun my wheel once. Unless you consider hydroplaning (even on roads the sprinklers wet) fun, then go for them.

I bought one of the Sumitomos from Tire Rack. Real bargain and I got all 4 2 days later. Bargain was a bit lost when I had to pay for installation, but it was still worth it. Shop around first to find a good deal on installing (I ended up saving by not going to their "recommended installer")

I'd keep your current size personally. When you put a different size it can affect your speedo, which means paying money at a dyno place to correct it. I'm about to buy tires for my car that are your size. I've deliberated and it came down to either Sumitomo H4s or Goodyear Assurance TripleTred. Jury is still out but after reading the reviews on Tirerack and Consumer Reports I'm leaning towards the Goodyears though they cost more. I'm going to see if Sams Club by me can get the H-speed rated ones. Would be a killer deal at $108/tire installed with free road hazard warranty.

eagle f1s for summer top all around performance (not much available to us for sporty tires in stock sizes), nitto 555's dot drags (straight line performance), fuzion zri's (bugdet friendly), yokohama avs es100's are pretty sporty and cheap too......ive looked around quite a bit to look for more selection for tires in 245/50/16 and didn't find much.....if you go to 17s or 18s x 245 you get a lot more selection

I have a set of Fuzion ZRI's I beat the hell out of them auto crossing, their not a bad tire at all and their pretty cheap so you keep them for like 2 years if your just driving on the street and then throw them away.

It appears as if everyone has different experiances with different tires. One set may last someone 100 000 Km, and the same set on another car may only last 40 000 km. I really think it all depends on the car, your driving and how you maintain the tires that will determine what kind tread life you will get out of them. As an indication, since June 2005, i have put just over 23 000 km on my cars. (20 000 on regal, 3000 on cutlass). I was sort of leaning toward the Fuzion ZRi. I have a friend that has the Fuzion ZRi on her car, and they look to be a fairly decent tire so far. Plus, the fact that I would not be using them in the winter means that they should last longer too.

Great, at least i know where Im gonna get my tires from now. I guess i just have to look around and see what I want to get, and also how much I want to spend. As for the 245/50 not fitting, I have a set of 225/60/14 on my regal rims that originally came with 205/70/14, so there is always that chance. Although I will probably stay with 225/60/16

understood, but if your factory 16's are 6.5" wide like they should be, then a 245-wide tire won't fit properly. I have 235's on my factory rims now and I think they're too wide, even though tire fitment guides say it's within range. The guides I read also say you'd need a minimum 7" wide rim for a 245, which I agree with.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd looking at getting some Fuzion ZRi tires for my car. Stock tire size are around $125/bucks a tire (CAD$$). They've got good reviews and are W-rated (like 225km/h or something)..

I've got Fuzion ZRi tires on my '01 GTP and they work great, just like the pricier Bridgestone Potenza RE730s that I had on it previously and you can't beat the low price.