Yet another person with alternator issues

TylerW

My '94 Cutlass seems to be developing alternator problems...

With no load to speak of, it runs about 13v on the gauge. As you begin to load it, with AC, lights etc...the gauge runs lower and lower...at idle it's went down to about 10v.

With just the AC on, it will run *almost* down into the red hashmarks..give it gas and you can see the coilpacks draining it a bit, let off and the needle comes up.

It isnt whining, and hasnt killed the battery yet....I guess it's just time to have it freshened up hmm?

yup. sounds like u need a new alternator, sonner than later. i would replace it right away before u get stranded somewhere and kill the battery too.

if u go to autozone or whatever they can always test it for u for free, on or off the car.

make sure u get one with a lifetime warranty cause many of these go out fast.

Take it apart, and swap the voltage regulator. Thats probably all it needs, unless its making noise, or showing periodic flickering.

If you are even slightly handy with soldering, the CS-130 is remarkably easy to repair if you have the replacement parts handy.

Make sure all of your battery cable connections are snug before you write-off the alternator. Especially check the nut on the auxillary positive terminal located on the driver's side underhood fusebox...