'99 GP - Oil Change Basics

DPDISXR4Ti

I hate to post such a newbie-ish question, but couldn't find the answer by searching. I'm helping the son of a friend do his first oil change, and told him I'd pick up the oil & filter. Will 10W-30 do the trick? How many qts?

Anything unusual or difficult about accessing the filter on this car? I have a full compliment of tools, so I'm not terribly concerned, but you never know. I recall it took me 15 minutes to FIND the oil filter the first time I changed it on my Alfa several years ago! :eek:

Thanks...

The car takes 10w-30, should take 4.5 quarts.

The filter is located, above the A-arm. If you turn the wheel all the way to the right, you should have no problem getting to it through the wheel well.

Best way to do it IMO.

OHH, use either a AC Delco filter, or something like WIX. FRAM sucks!

Use 5W30 if it's a 3100 motor, 10W30 if it's the 3800 motor. When in doubt, use whatever the oil is specified on the oil fill cap.

The filter on the 3100 is on the front side of the motor and can be easily accessed by reaching up between the radiator and engine block. Take 5speedz34's advice on getting to the filter if it's a 3800...

Great, thanks for the feedback. I seem to recall seeing a "3800" insignia on the body somewhere, but not sure. Is the filter the same for either the 3.1 or 3.8?

Yea, I agree, Fram sucks - I stopped using them years ago.

Great, thanks for the feedback. I seem to recall seeing a "3800" insignia on the body somewhere, but not sure. Is the filter the same for either the 3.1 or 3.8?

Yea, I agree, Fram sucks - I stopped using them years ago.

Yes, in that year the filter should be the same 3800 or 3100

Have fun getting the filter off. :lol:

Are you kidding?! That was the easiest, no-mess filter I've ever removed! Next time I'm at the junkyard I may have to look at removing that assembly for use in another vehicle!

Thanks for the help everyone - that was a lay-up and the kid can tell everyone at school he changes his own oil now. :cool:

Is the filter the same for either the 3.1 or 3.8?
Yep. Most FWD GM's use the same filter (Delco PF-45, Purolator L10111, Fram PH3387A) be they 4 or 6 cylinder engines...

Is the filter the same for either the 3.1 or 3.8?
Yep. Most FWD GM's use the same filter (Delco PF-45, Purolator L10111, Fram PH3387A) be they 4 or 6 cylinder engines...

Aren't there two differnt ones?? Interchangable, but one filter is longer then the other??

Delco PF52 Filter 3.21 from Advanced, 5 Qt Jug from walmart 21.99 I believe.....just bought it today. Jack car up, turn wheel to right.