Weird Steering Issues

CutlassSL91

For the whole time i have owned this car, the steering has been getting worse and worse slowly, well maybe weirder is the word. First of all, it feels like it has syrup in the steering, and I know its a Cutlass so its numb anyways, but i mean it has no steering feel AND it is rather stiff. Not like the '97 cutlass or '90 Buick I have driven. Idk, maybe this is just the way it is set up. I do NOT have the quick ratio steering. And is there a way to make the steeing lighter???

BUT anyways, thats not really the thing that bothers me the most. What does is the steering OCCASIONALLY pulls to one side. Its like it gets really light feeling when i turn it to the left, but its stiff when i turn it to the right. after a few turns, it evens back out. I have ot heard any clicking in the strut mount bearing in a long time. It seems to be fine. The poer steering fluid is properly filled, and the pump is not too noisy. I even put soem Seafoam Power steering cleaner in the pump.

I know this is an old '91, but I liek things to work righ tso when someone drives my car they don't think its junk lol

I remember my old 80 Skylark having a similar problem. On rare occasion, it would be really difficult to turn the wheel to the left, then suddenly something would "pop" and it would return to normal. Turned out the steering rack had self-distructed. After replacing the rack, all was right with the world again (well, with the steering anyway :lol: ) ...

Thats called morning sickness beleive it or not. The rack has pressure valves in it that can, and do, go bad. Only repair option is to replace it new or rebuilt.

Thats called morning sickness beleive it or not. The rack has pressure valves in it that can, and do, go bad. Only repair option is to replace it new or rebuilt.

I thought morning sickness was only when it was cold outside.... You get that "groning" noise from the rack.

But I also do agree the rack. Replace it, and or check the strut bearing plates.....

Mine did a similar thing. I drained the PS fluid and put Lucas Power Steering Fluid and stop leak in it and it seemed to straighten it out quite a bit.

Does it seem to get "lighter" when you hit a bump in a turn? If it does check your Tie rod ends.

The notorious GM "Morning Sickness" is a whole other thing. Metal shavings from the steering gear wearing out would clog up the passages inside the PS lines, causing the steering to be a tad bit stiff on cold mornings. It was nothing detrimental, just a minor inconvenience, and no need to rush out and replace the rack.

I've heard of a quick fix for those cars afflicted with "Morning Sickness." You disconnect the low-pressure return line from the PS pump reservoir, and run the line into an empty container. Start the car with the PS reservoir cap removed and add straight 30W oil into the reservoir as the level drops. Once you've cycled the whole bottle of oil through, turn off the engine and reconnect the hose. Top off with 30W oil. GM uses petroleum-based PS fluid, so using a thick motor oil won't harm the system any...