tick tick tick (its dead) =( check out the uber videos on page 3

john99gtp

oh this is soooo not cool

drove out to ohio, things running great, cars smooth, getting some major MPG (DIC said 31.7, so thats around 27.5)

pulled off the ohio turnpike at the norwalk exit, pull up to the booth, and i hear this awful ticking noise. i was like, hrm. so i rev'd a bit and it increased, so its going with revs

pulled into the hotel, checked in, started up, couldnt hear it. went for a drive, couldnt hear it at first, got back to the hotel, can hear it now. i havent checked this morning, but i bet if i drive for a bit, it will start again.

I have no idea what it is, or where its coming from. I am going to make a quick vid with the camera, and post it (yes, my uber cool camera does sound (haha dan)).

Any preliminary ideas??

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• john99gtp

• 5speedz34

• terryk2003

• SigEpCutlass

sorry, its on the gtp

and dont say that :cry:

I'm not a 90* V6 expert by any means. However, the 60* V6 may tick when cold, but it goes away whem they warm up. I don't know if the 90* V6 has a similar condition with lifter tick that the 60* V6's have, but it doesn't seem good to me that it's going it when warm/hot.

could be a lifter that is my guess as of now it would be nice to know a little more otherwise :dunno:

that was my first thought. had an oil change recently? maybe try some thicker/thinner oil?

shit......:( dont say that

i talked to sean (GSRegal) and he said its either a bearing or something valvetrain related (rocker/pushrods/lifter)

it was hard for him to tell though, since he was on the phone

:cry:

damn...that sucks major..don't you have some other GP guys @ the hotel that can listen to it and help ya out?...

they will be here later on today

we leave a day early so we can work on our cars and not have to rush

and there will be a lot of poeple around, hopefully its not bad. if i dont race, i dont care, i just want to make it home.[br]Posted on: April 28, 2006, 02:21:00 PM_________________________________________________

could be a lifter that is my guess as of now it would be nice to know a little more otherwise :dunno:

that was my first thought. had an oil change recently? maybe try some thicker/thinner oil?

i didnt see tihs at first, but yes, my oil was changed on wednesday.

My buddy's '75 Mercury Montego (don't ask, lol) was doing the same thing. He was gone for the weekend and he asked me to check it out. I asked him if the oil was full and he said it was. Turns out it was 3qts low. I doubt thats your problem. Im thinking lifter.

hahahahahahaha my 3.1 has been doing that for sooo long... it sounds real nice when it first starts up, after it warms up i get that ticking. checked my oil, was a little low but not bad... filled it and it didn't help... when i changed it next a friend shoved a bottle of lucas at me and it stopped it.... since then its started again but not bad like it was... junk motor anyways tho so im not all that worried.

if you call drinking a bit and hanging out, then yes

but no, ed morad looked, doesnt think its a bearing, but i gotta ask a couple more folks.....if i dont get a chance to, ill rip into it tomorrow.

john...just curious...what kinda rockers are you running?...i remember hearing a while back about the intense rockers being made of some kind of plastic material and coming apart...i'm just wondering if that could be your problem!...

Harland Sharp 1.9 with LS6 springs.

im going to pull the plugs ina little bit, and if i dont see anything fishy, the valve covers coming off.

it really sounds like its coming from up there.

good thing matt's here, hes got skinny arms, looks like hes gonna be the bitch :razz:

a coworkers 91 GP 3.1 had that same sound......bottom end knock was HORRIBLE.....he drove w/ it like that for 20K miles...but it was seriously sooo loud, you could almost feel it knocking

It sounded like it was up top, but it was definatly bottom end......

....just thought i'd chime in.

john...i'll be there in a few hrs to help ya out...picked up your S/C gasket too!...lets hope its something top end so we can get it back together so you can race tomarrow...if its more serious...well, there's always Ed Morad...

its dead

me, terry, and matt worked on the rockers, went for a test drive, didnt hear the tick to bad, pulled back into the hotel, and holy shit, its way worse now. now its a knock and not a tick, and sounds like its coming from down low

:cry:

RIP

you gave me 40k+ miles in the <2 years ive owned you.

:goes to look at the 2 door GTP down the street: