Thinking about putting a PANASONIC CQ-C8403U cd player in my Intrigue

IRONDOG442

What do you guys think? I have always prided myself in my Intrigues sound system and using the Stock Oldsmobile head unit. (this almost gaurantee that it's not going to be stolen)

I changed my 4 1/4" and my rear 6x9 speakers to Infinity gold Series

and the horn tweeters I have are 1.75" MTX units

I have a set of 12" Infinity Subs and a 1200 Watt Sony Xplod Amp

But because I am using the stock Oldsmobile radio I have to run a converter and I am tired of it.

I am considering a PANASONIC CQ-C8403U 16752911_640.jpg

Opinions????? Its either that or a KENWOOD DPX-301 IN-DASH DOUBLE DIN 1140720021439_dpx301box.jpg but wondering if a double DIN radio will fit in my dash.

Din 2 should fit with no issue.. Id actually go that route.. Danyelle has a Kenwood in her Achieva and it sounds real nice.. Mom has one in here Geo, and even on blown 4" speakers, it still sounds pretty nice.. (I have a Pioneer I spent $20US on from a member here, but that's another story..)

THe last Panasonic I used was in my 87 6k, and I wasn't a fan of how it sounded..

Plus, DIN 2 looks way fuckin cool, and I think it gives you a tape deck :razz:

you also need the brain that goes witht that though, thats the route i was gonna go, but found out it involved much more than i wanted to get into

Not that particular model, it just needs the antenna which is $60-ish on Ebay.

Actually most GM navigation units are fully self-contained, they just need the antenna. The INR and TNR models used in most GM's have the Class 2 VIN-based Theftlock though.

But I couldnt stand looking at a double din deck all day.

Wow, that's nuts. I've lusted after double DIN decks ever since I discovered they exist.

Dude go with the Kenwood. Kenwood is soooo much better than Panacrap...All I've had was Kenwood and I've always been satisfied.

===== Biggest Fanboy Ever.

Panasonic has a very good name in electronics. If all you've ever had is Kenwood than how do you know Panasonic is so bad?

I have a Panasonic Ghost headunit in my 'vert and it's teh balls. Reliability is a little poor apparently because of the full touchscreen display but at least I dont have to look at an utterly godawful looking Kenwood deck all day.

Kenwood Fanboys = Skeet Skeet Skeet.

==== Biggest Fanboy Ever.

Panasonic has a very good name in electronics. If all you've ever had is Kenwood than how do you know Panasonic is so bad?

I have a Panasonic Ghost headunit in my 'vert and it's teh balls. Reliability is a little poor apparently because of the full touchscreen display but at least I dont have to look at an utterly godawful looking Kenwood deck all day.

Kenwood Fanboys = Skeet Skeet Skeet.

I don't have to own a Panacrap to know that they suck. I've had friends that have owned those and they break within a year. I had the Kenwood in my car for 2 1/2 years and it still worked fine. Plus, Kenwoods get a better rating than Crapsonic

There's a better one than that!

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-HV8PGsyqTFR/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?search=ddx6019&i=113DDX6019

I had a Panasonic Ghost Face stereo for a bit... never installed it, but seemed like a real nice stereo. Wife didn't appreciate it's itty bitty clock display is the only reason I didn't install it.

At one point I had over half a dozen Panasonic appliances in my house. A 70's HiFi with a copper front plate and level meters, a vacuum, a VHS rewinder, a TV from 1982, a VCR, and I think my alarm clock (I liked them all). So I bought a panasonic deck. It looked cool, but sound was mediocre. I haven't tried the newer decks lately but I also never see any retail stores selling them. I assumed Panasonic quit car audio!

There's a better one than that!

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-HV8PGsyqTFR/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?search=ddx6019&i=113DDX6019

I had a Panasonic Ghost Face stereo for a bit... never installed it, but seemed like a real nice stereo. Wife didn't appreciate it's itty bitty clock display is the only reason I didn't install it.

I know there are better models, I was just giving him one example :wink:

Panasonic doesn't have a very strong car audio division anymore. The ghost decks I am talking about are already years old. Gnat, I FINALLY figured out how to set my clock (instruction manuals are for suckers in a hurry) and to be honest, I can barely see it half the time. The ghost decks are PLAGUED by the fact that they are IMPOSSIBLE to see in a 'vert with the top down and the sun behind you.

Girls (18-25) LOVE it tho...

As for sound quality...do panasonic headunits get points for "just doing the job"? I'm not a car audiophile, I got a sub but I would rather keep my expensive audio confined to the BigShynePo compound.

That Kenwood doubledin is crazy :)

Panasonic doesn't have a very strong car audio division anymore. The ghost decks I am talking about are already years old. Gnat, I FINALLY figured out how to set my clock (instruction manuals are for suckers in a hurry) and to be honest, I can barely see it half the time. The ghost decks are PLAGUED by the fact that they are IMPOSSIBLE to see in a 'vert with the top down and the sun behind you.

Yeah, difficulty seeing the display was another reason I didn't keep the Panasonic.

As far as visibility goes, I love the Pioneer OEL displays. Plus, Pioneers have an "Entertainment Clock" which is a big digital clock - perfect for GM's where the only clock is the radio. That is what we ended up going with, and my wife loves it. She loves those little animated touches Pioneer has too.

As much technology as they like to put into the display, nothing is more visible than those old-school early 90's LCDs that had black text on a lit background.

:werd: but, like your wife, I'm a sucker for flashy animations too :leaving:

Oh oh but the best innovation IMHO that has been lost is the O.G. front loader without the flip down face. I HATE flipping things down to put in CDs. I always like the old Alpine rotary knob on their frontloaders.

I actually don't mind the flipdown faces, the motorized ones look really cool. I used MP3 CD's that hold 10+ albums anyway, so I never swapped CD's that often. Anyhow, I just recently got with the times using an iPod controlled by the HU. It's like having a 1000+ CD changer in the car, but not taking up nearly as much space!