Pimp My Cutlass

ns87

Well not really, but...

I really want to clean up my car's look. Here are some ideas. I don't have photoshop, nor do I know how to use it so use your imagination:

DSCF0003.jpg

1) Paint the mirrors body color (or is this just too much red)

2)Any way to lose the black pinstriping in here? I know how to remove pinstriping, but its in a somewhat deep groove on my car

3)All my poser chrome-black trim has the black broken and or missing everywhere. Any way besides a jy I can get all new trim for my car?

4) I really want to paint this valance body color to give it a lower look (like on the turbo GP sedans)

Opinions? nothing stupid, I know my car is old...but its rust free so I want to do some things to it

1. I wouldn't paint the mirrors red, instead I would tint the windows and the black mirrors will blend in and look cleaner.

2. Is that really pinstriping, or a black/chrome molding? Are you wanting to lose the chrome too? If it's in a groove, I think you'd have to fill it in.

3. Yeah, a dealer! But it costs, LOTS. That's if they even make it anymore.

4. Go for it. Shouldn't be a problem.

1-Leave the mirrors

2-I say sand it, fiberglass it as one piece, paint it body color, and it will look good..

3-Somehow sand it and paint it black or body color.. Body color would own..

4-Id get a BYP valence for it.. I know of a good shape one if you want it..

What grille do you have on that? If it aint the International sedan one, change it.. I also know of one of those as well :cool:

I dunno if your mirror is similar to that on GPs, but I think painting it the body color would be cool. Just don't do the whole mirror, only the outter part like on my GP ;)

side.jpg

For the trim/chrome pieces you want black, sand and paint satin black.

stevezasycho: I was really thinking about an international grill. I saw one on ebay pretty cheap in my color. What on earth is a BYP valance?

19cutlass94: What type of store is a keystone? If its local to you, I dont mind a drive up to your neck of the woods

C-BAD,jeremy,torotoro,19cutlass94,gnatgosplat,stevezasycho thanks a lot. I see one thing a lot of people agree on is a tint!

Tint laws for NY are: back window and back side windows, can be as dark as you like them to be. you can paint them black if you want. Front windows actually are illegal to tint, but cops dont pay attention to that. Mirror tint ( full window ) will get you a ticket every time you drive. Im hopfully going to get tint this summer. Im thinking 20% all the way around.

notsoslimshady76, Keystone is like an autobody shop that sells body parts and related things.

http://www.keystone-auto.com/default.asp

and there should be a keystone by you actually.....

ALBANY, NY 518-452-7730

BUFFALO, NY 716-894-6262

NEWBURGH, NY 845-566-0900

ROCHESTER, NY 585-328-4420

Alright kool thanks guys. This summer I've gotta do the brake upgrade since my rears are frozen. Also I need to POR this bad boy since I'm moving further upstate. I believe tints will be next :wink:

I dunno if your mirror is similar to that on GPs, but I think painting it the body color would be cool. Just don't do the whole mirror, only the outter part like on my GP ;)

side.jpg

agreed! :biggrin:

Alright kool thanks guys. This summer I've gotta do the brake upgrade since my rears are frozen. Also I need to POR this bad boy since I'm moving further upstate. I believe tints will be next :wink:

where upstate are you moving? Im roughly 2 hours ( depending on how fast you drive ) from Poughkeepsie Im hoping to get tint this summer for my car. Good Luck with the brakes!

Oh lol. I just mean I'm actually moving my car to Oneonta this year instead of relying on Public Transportation :willynilly:

The salt up here in insane, I'm deff undercoating and giving my car the waxing of its life

Salt?? Snow??? What is that stuff. I know what heat is but what is snow???? lol

yeah ok bud we get it :lol: :flipa: You should try moving up here and try dealing with it! lol

Seriously~! I've watched this one 97 Grand Prix with slightly rusted rockers at begining of winter. The rockers are almost all rust colored now and actually have holes in them! thats just one freakin winter. 19Cutlass94, you por-ed your car right? Did you do a coat of por and then a por undercoat? they have this kit...

http://www.por15direct.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.238/it.A/id.2054/.f

im really thinking about getting that

Honestly, Id get a quart of their Metal-Ready and a quart of POR15. If you just use Por15 alone, without this adesion, over the years, the POR15 wont be as strong, and youll get rust colored spots again. Trust me, youll want to do both.

That being said, I get like two of these kits:

http://www.por15direct.com/s.nl;jsessionid=ac112b1f1f435ea2c79c7b8345f8b3fbb3e552300cee.e3eTaxiNaN0Te34Mah8Pb3qNa390n6jAmljGr5XDqQLvpAe?sc=2&category=171

sorry I'm late to this topic...

4732s.jpg

Seriously though, undercoating works well if you do it right. I had a few overspray problems where it didn't turn out as cleanly as I would have liked. However, I have almost ZERO rust on my car's underside.

Well heres some pictures of when I did the under neath of my car with the POR15. I can guarentee that it doenst look this good right now. I believe I did this last year, and some spots are holding up great, but other spots are lacking. Ill prolly have to re-coat it sometime.

803598_45_full.jpg

803598_57_full.jpg

And since I had that subframe replaced, that will need to be done as well.

• 2 weeks later...

just an update!

Here's some photoshopped ideas

CarandBowlingAlley0125.jpg

just tint

CarandBowlingAlley01285.jpg

Shaved bottom badging plus tint

The latter probably isn't possible bc the paint is about an 80/100. Still original..can't see dropping money on new paint

excuse the poor photoshop, its my first one!

I would shave both the upper door ding moldings and the lower chrome moldings.

Can you even shave the lower moldings? Some cars have a channel for the molding to fit into.