"suped up" 3.1?

EviLette

Gonna be pulling the insides out of my CS soon to put into the Prix... actually getting foundations to get the work done now... anyways, the guy that is doing it (my brother... i'll be helping cuz im not that awesome under the hood...) suggested I keep the original block and stuff, cuz the only part on it that is bad is the heads anyways... but i need the tranny and just pull the whole thing instead of swiping head off the CS motor... He builds performance shit to go play in the mud but he's amazing with vehicles... he suggested to stay with the 3.1 and just work with the original block.

The question is: What all is there that you can do to the 3.1 engines performance wise... stiffer springs, bigger cam, valves, stuff like that... or is it even worth it?

Well, the answer to this issue is kind of a mixed bag. While "suping up" a 3.1 takes an extensive amount of mostly custom work, it can be done to an extent. Unfortunately, the results are just as mixed as the work needed - The 3.1s are good solid motors, but outside of a turbo add-on, are not too responsive to many mods.

/IMO...feel free to contradict me people

why bother stripping 2 engines down to change heads when you need the tranny anyway, swap in the donor motor and tranny and never unbolt them.

x2. This will make it MUCH easier and faster. Also, probably cheaper, depending on what you need.

And as to what can be done to these, first off what year is thie engine from the CS?

Guest TurboSedan
he suggested to stay with the 3.1 and just work with the original block.

that's exactly what i did...still using the original short block just "added stuff". i think the only thing i would ever bother doing to the 3.1 MPFI engine is add TGP stuff. you could add a cam, custom headers, higher compression, porting blah blah but it would probably still be pretty slow compared to what a TGP setup would do at 12psi. the only problem is TGP stuff is kind of hard to find. if that isn't your thing i would just get rid of the 3.1 in favor of 3400. 3400s are everywhere, can be had cheap and are a much much better foundation to start with than a 3.1. the only thing the 3.1 has going for it in terms of getting decent power out of it is the fact that TGP turbo parts bolt right onto it.

If you need to do more than just the intake and heads.... well then do a 3x00 top end swap. Or TGP turbo setup.

If it's fucked internally then toss it and get something newer (ie 3400 or L67) along with a new(er) trans.

Stiffer springs?

valve springs. i think alot of people use LS1 valve springs as an upgrade.

Yes, but would that make a big enough difference?

Most use either LS1 or LS6. Basically if you put a "hotter" cam in your car, with the stock springs youll get valve float. These springs wont do that because of the spring rate. Because valve float is a very very bad thing

why bother stripping 2 engines down to change heads when you need the tranny anyway, swap in the donor motor and tranny and never unbolt them.

That is the plan. He wants me to keep the motor thats in my car now though and set it aside to rebuild it. The engine/tranny from the cutty are going directly into the GP as one unit.

-----

Stiffer springs, higher compression heads, better cam, bigger valves, shit like that was already mentioned in the improvement of the 3.1.... I told him I would rather go with at least a 3.4 or better in the car but itll take time to get him to see it my way... i want to do an l67 swap more than anything but it requires so much in the cab of the car as well, and i know i cant do everything in there, dont have the time, and I dont trust him. he insisted on putting my window back on track and broke plastic shit on my door... ive had the panels off on both sides thirty times at least from windows going off track and havent broken 'em yet...

Anyways, I figured scrapping the old 3.1 is the best option... but maybe the only option to keeping the motors strong in this car is to get a bigger one... cuz whats going in to it is going to be the 3rd... 160,000k

Unless you have a turbo, about the only thing the 3.1 is good for is reliability and longevity. It's not a powerhouse engine, even with modifications. Rather than continuing to put engines in this car, why not just look for a better car?

i want to do an l67 swap more than anything but it requires so much in the cab of the car as wel

There is little or no work that needs to be done inside the car. Switching to an OBD2 port is the only thing that comes to mind

:arrow: I'm betting on Fel-Pro performance head gaskets of course with a new top . . . crap I forgot the year. It's better to always know what year. Well I guess that doesn't matter at this time because the 60V6 store has everything you need. They even have crank scrapers. The newer the better. They stopped putting in 3100s in GPs a few years ago. And go grab some headers off a minivan. Otherwise the 3400/4T65E is better on gas than something bigger, new and more powerful. Didn't they stop making turbos years ago?

L67 was the swap i was gonna do once i get down to business for real with money issues... ie get my certifications n shit but i wanted to do a 3.4/5 speed to begin with.. didn't care too much about turbo but i drool over the thought of a tgp... who doesn't? I wanna keep the car mostly because i promised my mom i would... i think she would disown me if i got rid of it...

anyways my mechanic is bein a dick... he doesn't work on dohc and says the 3.4s are... i honestly can't remember. yeah, imrambling. :)

anyways my mechanic is bein a dick... he doesn't work on dohc and says the 3.4s are... i honestly can't remember. yeah, imrambling. :)

yep, the 3.4s are DOHC.....