going to look at a crate motor friday!

sonyman87

well i could save myself about a $1000 easy if i pick up this crate motor friday. 0 miles never installed!

only problem the guy dosnt have a clue what year it is or what the difference in 3.4L motors. SOO. any tips or things to look for in a crate motor to tell differences or problems?

he wants $800obo. I will offer $500 if its the motor to my car simply b/c he will NEVER sell it other wise.. maybe thats a good thing about having a motor nobody wants. rofl.

i think coil location might be the easiest way to tell just at a glance. Down on the block = 94 or earlier, by the ps pump, 96-97. although i dont know the difference between the pre 94's and the 94-95's, so someone else will chime in im sure

edit: the pre 94 engines said "Twin Dual Cam V6", while 94+ said "Dual Overhead Cam V6". So that's assuming this one has a cover

Assuming this isn't in a vehicle, here's a few things:

the 91-95's don't have a seperate intake arm(the throttle body is built into the upper plenum)

The 95+'s have a cam sensor on the front valve cover, the 91-94's dont

And the fuel injector cover is different as well.

Assuming this isn't in a vehicle, here's a few things:

the 91-95's don't have a seperate intake arm(the throttle body is built into the upper plenum)

The 95+'s have a cam sensor on the front valve cover, the 91-94's dont

And the fuel injector cover is different as well.

Yep, good calls. I don't think crate engine come with the black fuel injector plate.

"Crate" DOHC's do not come with intakes and all. Look for the cam sensor on the front valve cover as Chris suggested though, and the cam cogs will tell you whether or not it's a 91-93 or 94+ motor.