Needing quick suggestions

LuminaASG

Alright here's what going on, dropped the motor back into the Lumina today got it up and running and all of a sudden to no surprise (something new always happens) I've got an overheating problem.

Fan turns on

Seems to have plenty of coolant - spits out of reservoir when running, I think it has a little too much.

Tried a 2nd thermostat I had laying around, might be bad though.

Got most of the air out of the system

Water pumps new, and I didn't have this problem prior to having to pulling the motor about a month ago (you don't wanna know!)

No leaking or anything, but I did notice the heats not hot, it could be the heater core.

I'm going to get a new thermostat tomorrow and see if it's what ailes it but if not any suggestions??

Well if I put the new thermostat in the car overheats, with it removed the car keeps it's temperature fine. I can run without a thermostat for now but there's more to this story.

The problem is when I accelerate while driving the fluid shoots off the top of the reservoir and shoots fluid out. I tried a different radiator cap with no different results. Anyone know if it could be my radiator for some reason going bad?? I did patch the outer plastic part with JB weld.

Alright this whole overheating and coolant coming out of the reservoir just isn't making sense anymore.. Shawn advised me that it is more than likely just air, and hopefully he's right but I keep bleeding it and keep finding more and more air..

I open up the bleeder and sometimes it bleeds straight air for like 2 minutes..

How much air can a system hold.. It wasn't like it has bleed out that much air once, it has done it many times. I mean I get coolant now but still spurts of air. To top it off it makes the car almost get up to overheating before the temperature falls, and if you give it any gas in gear the reservoir fills with coolant and spits coolant everywhere.. I tried a different radiator cap but no luck.

Anyone have any suggestions?? I'm going to flush the whole system tommorrow and if that doesn't work off to the boneyard I go for a new radiator.. The thing is I patched mine and it doesn't leak but maybe I messed something up, who knows?

Something else you might try, is when you fill the radiator with coolant, do it with all bleeders open.

I just filled the coolant on the TGP yesterday with the bleeders open, and as I poured, I could hear a "whoosh" of air coming out of the bleeder on the t-stat housing.

A lot of air gets trapped in the cooling system of these cars for some reason.

Well this'll be my last post on this problem, thanks for the ideas but it just didn't happen to be air in the system it turns out it's a head gasket that for some reason didn't seat correctly and is now forcing air into the system.. So that's why I'm getting air into the reservoir... Fun huh I mean they were torqued correctly and in the right sequence, so who knows...

Considering the gaskets are all of maybe 2 weeks old..

Whatever I'll probably start yanking it apart later today.. I sure hope I can get the rear head off without taking the motor out. (very little clearance).

Yikes! Sorry to hear that. I've done head gaskets so I know how much shit has to come off to get to them. :gone2far:

It all makes sense though!

Isn't there some kind of O-ring at the bottom of the cylinder sleeve? Maybe new fatter ones are in order.

well the o-rings which were left out originally when the motor was built was just put in about 2-3 weeks ago.. There holding up just fine. If they go bad that's when the coolant mixes with the oil. (that really sucked) but that problem seems to be done with..

No big thing the heads are already off, took about 4 hours and I'll throw the new head gaskets tomorrow, hopefully I'll have it done by tomorrow night, if not Wednesday.