Paint codes

slick

What's the paint code for the black used on the Lumina's?

More specifically, my 1993 Lumina Z34?

I've gotten my trunk lid completely prepped for primer and paint, and my buddy thats doing it for me wants to know the code, so he can pick it up. I told him to go ahead and pick up some extra materials, that way this summer i can get my spoiler and rear bumper redone as well.

Thanks.

I didn't look up my paint code as C-bad explained in that sticky.

I took the number at the bottom of the RPO sticker: U8554 (on the sticky pic.)

Looked that up in the duplicolor book at Autozone, and ended in the same result.

The last line of the spid sticker contains the paint code from what I have seen, I've never seen it done with the "40U" code, etc.....

If it all ends the same, then I guess I can't complain.

I'm a detailer at a GM dealership, so they all have #U, and we have GM touchup paints that will have that paint name, code (which ends with the U on the RPO) and the long paint code. The "40U" is the primary color. "U8554" is the color with clearcoat and stuff (I think, not sure). But going by the "U" number is always easiest...

http://duplicolor.anthonythomas.com/match2/match_maker.cgi

Didn't quite work for me. There is no code ending in the letter U on my RPO, and the Match Maker on Duplicolor only go's back to 1994. Also, when I clicked 1994 and General Motors, there was no code given for the Black, as they did above(for the white, it was 40, etc...).

Anyone else know?

What you might want to try to do, since you have the color code, is to go to a paint shop, or a place that mixes paint. Tell them your paint code, year, model, car etc etc, and they can give you a couple samples or shades of black that GM used that year, I know for my car there was like 6 different shades. Then go match up what one is closest, and they can mix you that exact color. Thats what I had to do when painting my lip spoiler.

I'm pretty sure that a black Lumina is gonna be the same as a black Sunfire, Grand AM, etc etc. of any year (unless it's got some sort of fancy paint). I'll find the black touchup stick at work tomorrow and let you know what the paint code is for it.

Unless you have a pic of your RPO, there has got to be something on there.

Using my method it looks like U8555, which you can look up in the Duplicolor book at Autozone. The book I looked at went back to 1993.

EDIT: According to my research, the U8555 code is also called "41U" Which is listed on your RPO code, so that's your color. :cool:

And yes, that duplicolor site is kinda messed... sometimes codes aren't listed but simply choose a different year and it will all be the same. :cool:

Doing the #U is easiest to remember when you got all sorts of cars to touch up. 43U is yellow like on Aztek, 40U white, 81U bright red, 74U is an ever BRIGHTER red (on some pickups, and similar to the red on the Solstice I think)... etc etc.. If it's a number that ends in an L (like 41L or whatever) that's the secondary color, such as on a 2 tone car.[br]Posted on: April 10, 2006, 12:25:36 AM_________________________________________________

I think thats the standard black GM has been using for MANY years...

yeah, the only different black that I can recall was on a Vibe that had little metallic "flakes" in it..

The black I've used on all sorts of cars from Sunfires to Grand Prixs.. all the same.

Alright, sweet. I figured it was a GM universal black that they were using, but I figured it would better to be safe to ask.

Guess maybe within the next few weeks I'll go ahead and pick up all the necessary stuff, and have her painted. Then hopefully this summer sometime when I have absolutely nothing to do, I'll go ahead and have the spoiler and rear bumper done.