Variable-effort steering

timdjohn

I have a 1992 GP SE, I have noticed that they put Variable-effort steering on the 1995 and newer GTP and GT cars. My question is what make it Variable-effort steering? is it jus the power steering pump or is it the entire rack and pump set-up? would be nice to add this while I am doing and engine swap. :razz:

it's mostly just a variable-assist pump, and there's an additional sensor on the base of the steering column. The rack is the same. My Cutty already is pre-wired for it as are most '94-96 GP's.

it's mostly just a variable-assist pump, and there's an additional sensor on the base of the steering column. The rack is the same. My Cutty already is pre-wired for it as are most '94-96 GP's.

Really?! I didn't know they where pre-wired! So all you would need is the rack and the ps pump since it has the sensors.

All it does it help steering in low speed situations such as parking lots, and merging on the highway type stuff.

It has full power assist in low speed, and reduced power assist at highway speeds.

I read a few reviews in the past and the reviewer didn't really care for it.

My '95 has awesome steering feel. The guy who drove my car when I was having it appraised complimented me on that. I've always loved how it feels, I don't know that I'd want to change it.

Really?! I didn't know they where pre-wired! So all you would need is the rack and the ps pump since it has the sensors.

All it does it help steering in low speed situations such as parking lots, and merging on the highway type stuff.

Why need the rack? There's a sensor on the steering column, and the p/s pump. THats all.

My Bonneville has a similiar system in it. except it just uses vehicle speed to determine assist. Not that it really matters since the pump is shot in the car. lol

My Regal has the magnasteer system in it. I LOVE IT! The feel is good on the highway and it's very easy to turn in parking lots. Almost too easy. lol

Why need the rack? There's a sensor on the steering column, and the p/s pump. THats all.

So I am guessing that you can not retrofit this sensor on a 1992 steering column which is the year my car is.

I really dont like the Magnasteer. It's WAY too light in parking lots, and a bit under-assisted at freeway speeds. JMO though.

I think the steering feels just about perfect in my '94...

So I am guessing that you can not retrofit this sensor on a 1992 steering column which is the year my car is.

No, since the columns changed in 94.

I liked the steering on my 88 better than my 95 for some reason, but I'm pretty sure most of the stuff is the same (FE3), I think it's just the steering wheel placement and seats are slightly different or something.

I'd maybe be interested in adding variable effort to my car... would be kinda cool on the highway. hmmm..

My steering makes a nice clunk on left turns. The guy at the garage said its good for at least 10k more miles and he damn well wasn't gonna replace it for me until then :lol:

My steering makes a nice clunk on left turns. The guy at the garage said its good for at least 10k more miles and he damn well wasn't gonna replace it for me until then :lol:

you might want to check your subframe bolts and suspension in the front.....

If possible if nyone could snap a quick pic of this sensor on the steering column woud be great. I am just cazy enough to try and adapt the sensor onto my pre 94 column. I have two other extra columns anyhow so if I screw one up no big deal. :idea:

I really don't like the magnasteer on my mom's '97 Grand Prix very much...plus it makes a lot of noise (always has).

If you have a 1st gen and your steering is too light (especially us FE1 guys), just bolt on some 245's LOL, mine is nice and firm now, not to mention that the car handles unbeliveably well now.

I always liked the feel on the pre-air bag cars better...probably because of the smaller steering wheel. And of course, when it comes to stopping & steering, i especially like liberal use of the KISS principle.

I really don't like the magnasteer on my mom's '97 Grand Prix very much...plus it makes a lot of noise (always has).

If you have a 1st gen and your steering is too light (especially us FE1 guys), just bolt on some 245's LOL, mine is nice and firm now, not to mention that the car handles unbeliveably well now.

I always liked the feel on the pre-air bag cars better...probably because of the smaller steering wheel. And of course, when it comes to stopping & steering, i especially like liberal use of the KISS principle.

At first I was a bit bit bummed when my 92 did not have an air bag. I had figured most domestics had air bags by then (my 91 T-bird did) but now I am glad it does not, I just bought a nice Momo Wheel for the car. So dated radio control on steering wheel System soon to be on Ebay. :smile: