Which Engine to use?

timdjohn

In my 92 GP I have the stock 3.1 it runs fine for now but I know I will want more performance and plan for this winter project to swap out the 3.1 for another engine. I would like to start know to be on the look out for a good core but I have not decided on which engine to use.

would it be easiest to swap in a 3.4 DOHC, or the 3800 Supercharged? i know the 3800 is much more performance but is it going to be a bigger hassle? I am just assuming that if I was to use the 3.4 I could use all my stock wiring and just maybe an ECM change, but I know with the 3800 I have to get a whole new wiring harness and computer too.

In reality is the 3800 going to be more of a botherthen if I just settled on a 3.4?

Thanks for any advice

I'm a 3.4 DOHC fan all the way - but honestly, I'd say rebuild the 3.1 and turbocharge it.

--Dave.

I had briefly thought of turbo charging the 3.1 but to much of a hassle and I have never been a fan of tubo engine anyhow. I would fully rebuild whatever engine I was to use so I would rather get simalar power numbers with the 3.4 and no added heat wear etc of a turbo.

I second Jeremy with the L36, you can get a 1st gen Regal wiring harness. and it'll go right on the L36. Then just get the Regal 3800 mounts. and you're all set. :)

Also, you can build a NA L36 to be faster than the LQ1. IIRC there's NA L36's running 13's. :)

I'm a 3.4 DOHC fan all the way - but honestly, I'd say rebuild the 3.1 and turbocharge it.

--Dave.

I had briefly thought of turbo charging the 3.1 but to much of a hassle and I have never been a fan of tubo engine anyhow. I would fully rebuild whatever engine I was to use so I would rather get simalar power numbers with the 3.4 and no added heat wear etc of a turbo.

Well then, I say go for the 3.4DOHC - you'll get the most N/A power outta one of those if it's built right.

--Dave.

most of the 3.4 stuff is all custom, usually cam timing, internal mods (rods, pistons) and things of that nature.

--Dave.

Thanks, one more question, I can use mu cradle and wiring harness from the 3.1 that is in the car right?