89 Grand Prix stereo hell

89GP_SE

OK, so I got an 89 Grand prix, i finally found a dash kit for it. I got the wiring harness for it, i went to plug it in, and they didnt fit. So I figured that I got the wrong wiring harness. I went back and the installer guy told me there is a factory amp that the wiring harness plugs into. Where is it, he said thats where my antenna is too, he has an extention peice for it but I want to know is there any easier way to wire this deck up or am I gonna have a headache the day I install this. Where is this factory amp? If anyone has a website they can refer me to with pics or step by step thing that would be of great assistance.

I would have to see a pic of the factory wiring harness. I dont think the 89's came with a amp. It could be posible, I just dont see it, and have never seen it.

If he had the 2 peice head unit, you are correct. where the stereo is this little pod looking thing, with a seperation, and a tape deck. Arent those the ones that also have the tape holder caddy thing?

I don't think they had a seperate amp, but IIRC, the tuner was seperate from the HU

That's what they are referring to. The headunit(s) and the actual tuner/amplifier for the radio is under the dash. That's what you will need the extension cable for. If your car has the "Performance Sound" switch on the drivers door, then there is an axuiliary amplifier for those speakers, but you won't have to mess with that if you're just installing a new HU.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah My mistake its the tuner, not the amp. anyways I found it but i am having so much trouble with it. I plug the wiring harness in and I wire the deck to the wiring harness, and I get nothing. No power at all. I thought that maybe its the deck, well its not cause if I quickly hook it up to the batter it works. I even tries plugging the power wires to the fuse box but that isnt working either! On top of that, I dont think its grounding right. WTF!!! I really hate this car. why would anyone build a stereo in two seperate peices. ARG! :evil:

cuz they were retarded! I wish i had experience with that to help ya out, but I dont. My friend has a sunbird that i tried talking him into putting a cd player in it, but he doesnt really take care of it or want to put money into it

Since you are installing a aftermarket stereo, I cant help ya. I did figure out how to install a factory radio into the location without having to remove or rewire the 2nd peice of the stereo thats burried in the dash..

Did your factory radio work fine?

If it did, I would double check your wiring at the adapter harness. If worst comes to worst and your wiring is good, then you just might have to re-run new wires for the power, accessory and ground.

that is so weird... my boyfriend just installed a cd player into my 89 grand prix and it was hell for him... but it finally works... took him like 50 trys but still... im happy with my baby... my car that is... i learn everything from my boyfriend. he rocks at coming up with new things for my car.