5000 mile L67 go kaboom - pics

White93z34

alright this is a sad sight here, afte a mere 3000 miles my buddys L67 blew the headgaskets after we had redone them, so he started to tear it down, and metal shaveings were all through the top of the heads, and so were these:

8.jpg

what they are, i don't know. valve seals????

and the severly cooked MLS gaskets

7.jpg

and the heads:

2.jpg

now, i'm prety sure there should not be oil in the intake....

3.jpg

and the engine after the first days work, tommrow it should be out

6.jpg

4.jpg

so he is quite sick about his 5000 mile engine gernadeing, and i don't want to know how much he had invested into that build, oh well, to the junkyard tommrow for a new L67.

i'll ask him tommrow, but heres a partial list of things

.10 or .20 over

diamond pistons

intense stage 1 cam

ballance shaft delete

MLS headgaskts

double roller timing chain

ARP headstuds

9:5:1 compression

total it has 5000 miles on it, but 3000 since we redid headgaskets, we initally had a problem with the MLS gaskets sealing properly and leaking externially. its real depressing since everywhere we turn theres more metal flakes to be found.

but now, its time to demod the car (to an extent), and just get it relyable.

no idea, he may sell it, or might keep it as a spare, the new engine is coming with a blower, so we are just gona use it.

every L67 ive seen where the SC has been ripped off has a little bit of oil in the manifold. one ive even seen a puddle. From what i was told, a little bit is normal.

but that sucks

I've seen lowmilage engines let go a few times ...

Usually what it ends up being is whoever did the block machining did it wrong and didn't level the deck surface properly ... Might be somethin' to look into - most machine shops will help make up for mistakes like that (maybe not tons of free stuff, but some free machine work down the road type deal)

--Dave.

no, a local machine shop did the work, and the more we tear into it, the more it seems that the bottom end is perfect, i'm thinking something in the heads let go.

then today we just pulled it out, and are about to start getting the new engine ready. pics will follow later tonight.

i'll ask him tommrow, but heres a partial list of things

.10 or .20 over

diamond pistons

intense stage 1 cam

ballance shaft delete

MLS headgaskts

double roller timing chain

ARP headstuds

9:5:1 compression

total it has 5000 miles on it, but 3000 since we redid headgaskets, we initally had a problem with the MLS gaskets sealing properly and leaking externially. its real depressing since everywhere we turn theres more metal flakes to be found.

but now, its time to demod the car (to an extent), and just get it relyable.

I dont see an IC in his mod list. What size blower pulley was he running? Even with a stage I cam I would be surprised if he could get away with a 3.4 pulley with that much compression.

I'd measure the deck height on all the cylinders - I'd be willing to bet - even with everything assembeled properly, that one issue is what caused the problem.

I saw a supercharged 302 mustang go through headgaskets because of a bad cut on the deck with a difference of just .012" from the front to the rear - meaning the front cylinders had a comp ratio of 9.2:1 and the rears were at 8.9:1 (huge difference!)

that's the only reason I recomed checking the deck height.

--Dave.

no intercooler, we were talking tonight, he was saying that in hindsight doing that high compression with no IC was probably hurting him.

he was running a 3.4 pulley, which will probably make it over to the new engine.

as for why he removed the ballance shaft, i have no idea

essentially after looking over the old engine today it could be reused with no problem, but at this point we are sick of fighting with it and just want the car relyable and to stay that way, so going to a low mile stock block is the best way we see to do it.

more pictures, as promised.

9.JPG

its out!

10.JPG

the old engine tore down and cleaned up.

11.JPG

old engine, new engine, and bill.

12.JPG

why i feel it s a BAD idea to use the drilled flexplate, the metal was getting awful thin and beat up between those 2 holes, and this was only after 5000 miles. a new one is being ordered.

13.JPG

and the new engine is about ready to go in.

A lot of people remove the balance shaft because it takes a bit of power to turn that. IIRC it's about 15hp. If you remove it the engine won't be as smooth, but many of the people who remove them don't really care about the added vibrations.

so since you mentioned the flexplate (sorry to hijack) i noticed the 96 is solid, and the 94 has a few holes and such. would it be worth the work to swap it? or just leave the solid one for strength purposes?

edit: nevermind, I think I bent the 94 one on the engine crate anyways :bash:

Wow, you guys must have some killer junk yards. I don't even think we have a car newer than a '94 in the ones around here that will actually let you get stuff from them, none the less a 3800 SC II in 2-days