Woohoo, got my car back!

AM6_Cutlass

Picked up my car yesterday. Ended up bieng a few hundred cheaper than original estimate (always a good thing)

New head gaskets

new plugs

new oil and filter

new serpentine belt

coolant flush and fill (he filled it back up with the green stuff, I don't know if that's good or bad)

also, somehow my dash vents are working again (bonus)

strangely, my turn signals were even working yesterday when I drove it :shock:

Also, he mentined that when the car was up on the rack, the rear brakes were looking pretty thin and would need replaced soon. So, how hard/different from front brakes are the rear discs to do?

BTW: car is still unoffically for sale (haven't listed it anywhere), if interested make offer!

If your car came with the dex-cool(orange) coolant before, take it back and have him redo it. The factory put orange coolant in these cars for a reason. The green stuff causes corrosion of the aluminum(heads, radiator, various aluminum components). Now as far as the back brakes go they're relatively easy except for the fact that they have to be turned in instead of pushed in. :) :)

the rear brakes are really easy to do. takes less than 20 minutes. no special tools required. just buy good pads. you know how bad the brakes are on these things :)

The difference between the two types of coolants is corrosion additives. The green stuff is made up of phosphates, silicates, and borates. The Dex-cool although still ethylene glycol based, uses organic based anti-corrosion additives. Meaning less acidic when aged. :) :)

nothing wrong with using green coolant.

no but if the car came with dexcool then there could be some issues if it was not flushed properly. correct?

Monty

not really because they are both ehtylene glycol based, but they have two different additive packages. Nothing good ever came out of mixing dissimilar chemicals together. The outcome of mixing the two together isn't real bad though. The green stuff just is just more acidic when aged. :) :) :)

the rear brakes are really easy to do. takes less than 20 minutes. no special tools required. just buy good pads. you know how bad the brakes are on these things :)

i disagree, use the special tool, i used a screwdriver blade (FLAT HEAD), and it totally fucked up the caliper, had to have one replaced cause it was too ripped up, and i did it carefully.....

You can use a good pair of needle nose pliers to turn them in. I use those at work. I own the special tool, but its easier and faster to grab the needle nose pliers and turn them in. :) :)

Yes do it NOW. Dexcool isnt what it was hyped up to be, ask AM6. Should probably change it MAX 5 years/60k
Yup... mine was over 7 years old (shame on me) ...original to the car. I was just topping it off every thousand miles or so until the dam broke. I originally wanted to have the car switched over to the green stuff anyway, so I guess it's all good.

I personaly Hate Dex cool. with a passion.

it causes a rusty type substance in the Res and in the radiator. take a look at a 95 s 10 blazer....they look like shit on the inside.

I would say if you accutally use Dex change it every 50-75K or 2.5 years. which ever is sooner.

I worked for a Jiffy lube once and you should have seen all the nasty crap in the cars with dex......

I would say go with a High quality Green if you switch.

the other thing that may help with Dex is use Filtered or bottled water. that would be the only thing I could think of that would help prevent that Rusty type build up.

Heck I even buy bottled water for my car now with The Green. .87 a gal for a high quality bottled so its not a big thing for me. but for you it may.