Small pinout request..Cutty DIC VS Regency DIC

ToroToro

I found a LOADED '89 Regency today at the junkyard with a DIC, ECC, SWCs, and the digital gauge cluster. Anyways, I decided to pull the DIC, even though I have heard of the GM service manual saying they wont work in Ws. It was only 10 bucks anyways.

dicandbadges002.jpg

dicandbadges003.jpg

Anyways, I would appreciate if someone here could provide me with the CS pinouts, so I can determine if they are wired the same. And yes, I did search.

If you want to save me some more time, I'd be even more grateful if someone had the Regency pinouts. :wink:

And a side question... does anyone know for sure if the Regency ECC is the same? Sure as hell looks identical.

Thank you!

$10 bucks! I woulda just pocketed it.

Meh...I stole a bunch of other shit already. I wasn't about to leave after being there for an hour and a half without buying anything. They would think something was fishy, and not let me pull my own parts anymore. I've seen them do that to other people there.

Thanks StockGP. You're the man!

Pinouts are the same, I have a Regency DIC in the '94. Mounting is the same too. Only difference is the firmware.

The ECC looks and works similar, but is very, very different. It has a edge-card connector instead of plugs, and the signals are very different. Not to mention the box behind the face is very different and would be pretty difficult to fit in a Cutlass. The only thing similar is the faceplate.

i'll get o it tonight. i need to find a bunch more stuff for ken anyways :roll:

:lol:

hey! I'm working on write ups! I swear! I just can;t do jack without driving to a place were I can tap into a friends powere outlet to run a soldering iron.

YES. I have driven to indianpolis, from cleveland, just to solder something in my car.

But I did stop at my favorite j/y and got me TWO Huds on that trip/ :P

what does the difference between the two types of DIS/dic affect?

should I say can each be made to work in the other car?

Well, since Shawn said he's using one in his car, I'm assuming they are perfectly compatable. I dunno what firmware is though... :lol:

And they do mount in perfectly with the factory holes. I got it in, and made a little plate out of copper to cover up the hole on the side, then painted it with black rubber undercoating for texture. Hopefully an HUD dimmer will be sitting in that spot very soon though.

dicandbadges010.jpg

Naw, this should be good for now. Just a couple more quick questions if you know...

It has two wires that are labeled ground to UB3...so I would hook those up to the E/M output on the cluster correct? And do you know off hand the location/color of that wire on your adapter? And the fuel level and speed inputs as well if you could. And I assume the other two ground wires on the DIC are just grounded all the time right?

Sorry for another bunch of questions, but I have found that a 94 repair manual is utterly useless when half the parts on your car are from 93 and down. :lol:

oh whoops. i forgot to include the second part of the diagram.

oh well. it says i the second part that all 4 grounds tie in together.

i would guess that you either have to connect one or the other to the english metric switch for your ub3. i would try both and see which one works.

the e/m switch output is one of the labeled loose wires on your adapter. if you took the label off it will come out of pin d9 and it will most likely be light blue.

fuel level is pin d13 and it will be purple.

speedo is dark green and it is in pin d15

excellent! that has me covered to I hope :D

heres a lay out, cross referencing the DIS on my desk with the chart above.

this is a 1990 DIS, from a car with base digi guages NO UB3.

C1, 4 pin Black connector

A ORN serial data input

B GRN Vehicle speed input

C PNK fuel level feed (car wire harness wire changes to PNK)

D BLK (base cluster ground only)

C2, 8 pin Blue connector

A ORN constant hot, fed from 20 amp fuse #16 (memory, ELEC fuse?)

B PNK/BLK switched hot, fed from 20 amp fuse #11 (CLST?)

C YEL parking/headlights on

D GRY interior lights dimming (backlighting)

E BLK ground

F BLK UB3 ground only

G YEL not listed?????? Turns to LT BLU on body harness side of my 90 DIS

h BLK ground

Discrepancies that nee to be solved:

connector C2 G YEL is not listed. It turns to LT BLU on the body harness side of teh connector

the Fuse feed info for my 91 CS does not match the diagram!

Connector C2, A ORN is a constant hot, fed from 20 amp fuse #16, on the diagram, but in my 91 CS it is feed from fuse 2, a 15 amp fuse labeled 'ELEC', it's purpose is to serve the memory of the radio, trip odometer, clock and DIS memories.

Connector C2, B PNK/BLK is a switched hot, fed from 20 amp fuse #11 on the diagram, but in my 91 CS it is feed from fuse 10, a 10 amp fuse labeled 'CLST', it's purpose is to feed the cluster, HVAC controls, cruise control, and DIS.

hope this cross check helps!!!

Here's what I have on my connectors...

C1 ( black )

PIN A- serial data ( orange )

PIN B- speed input ( green )

PIN C- fuel level input ( pink )

PIN D- ground ( I think to UB3 E/M ) ( black )

C2 ( blue )

PIN A- hot all times ( orange )

PIN B- hot in run ( pink/black )

PIN C- lights on input ( brown )

PIN D- dimming input ( grey )

PIN E- ground ( to chassis I believe ) ( black )

PIN F- empty

PIN G- empty

PIN H- ground ( to chassis again I think ) ( black )

Similar, except I am missing F and G...

And this Regency did have the UB3 digi cluster with tach, and ECC if that matters.

I'm going to pop it in right now, we'll see how it goes.

dicandbadges013.jpg

Everything works fine, with the exception of the fuel data ( 94 ECM not compatable ), and I couldn't get the cluster E/M switch to change the DIC, even after trying to reverse all the grounds in question. :?

I'm not too worried about that, considering I never use the metric system anyways.

I think the DIC is kinda messed up too because it wemt in and out of diagnosti mode ( no, it didn't have the "c" on the end :lol: ) once while I was driving. Oh well...I'll find another one eventually.

Thanks for all the help. 8)

this dicrepancy:

connector C2 G YEL is not listed. It's a yeelow wire on the DIS itself. It turns to LT BLU on the body harness side of the connector

also see if the CS version may be clearer on the ground wires and which wire would feed from the e/m switch in the cluster.