Lumina A/C Compressor Question

Tracey12

Went to Goodyear, first mistake, due to noise coming fron A/C compressor clutch. Found that its possible to replace clutch and not compressor, but Goodyear guys said "OH NO! $1200.00 USD please and we will fix it".

That seems rather insanely expensive, so I looked at O'Reilly's online and found that the compressor, new DELPHI is 371.00 and a rebuilt is 219.00 both has same warranty.

But, O'Reillys does not stock, nor can they order just the clutch.

I'm pretty handy with tools and have done A/C work in the past. So, has anyone replaced the clutch on this kind of compressor and can give me an idea of what I'm looking at? The pics I've seen of the clutch assm. appear to show only a few bolts to remove, but someone said I might need a special tool. I suspect that a dealer can give me the clutch. Any ideas on the price of the clutch assm.?

Thanks much for your help! I hate it when I know Goodyear is trying to shaft me.

No, I was so shocked that I didnt know what to think.

I'm an unemployed person. Just can't find anything anywhere for months. But, thats my problem, so I will have to repair my lumina using my own hands since it appears to be rather expensive. Oreilly's has a rebuilt compressor with the same warranty as a new one but for half the price. It looks like its not hard to do, but thats why I'm here. I would like the opinions of others on that issue before I launch.

I'm assuming you are replacing your AC because you use it during the summer, correct?

If you just want to save a ton of money, and all the hassle, pick up the AC Delete pulley. Like $35 shipped from GM, bolts right up, and your all set.

Really? $35 bucks? WOW! That would save my bacon big time. Yes, its just the clutch or pulley that is making noise due to bearing wear. Do I need any special tools to take off the part from the compressor? Just remove the belt and unscrew the bolts?

Thanks!

I had to replace the clutch on my AC compressor. The whole unit from GM dealer in town was $800.00 CDN, and that's not even installed... And just the clutch cost $70 CDN at the GM dealership. I ended up getting a used clutch off of a 3.1 Lumina, and not a 3100. I rented a tool from Canadian Tire for $25, and had to put down a $160 deposit for it. My warped clutch came off in no time with the tool, and I put on the 3.1 Lumina clutch on there. The grinding noise was gone, however the clutch won't engage when I turn it on... That could be due to the weather being very cold at the time. I'm waiting for spring to figure out a better solution. I'll either get a whole new AC assembly to be sure, or I might try putting on a 3100 AC clutch. There could be a difference, although I doubt it...

if you have a 2.8,3.1,or 3x00 (i think). you can just get a shorter belt and bypass it till you got the money to fix it. you do not need a delete pulley.

Well, heres the thing, I've got to have the AC running for the spring. So, I need to fix this soon. The bearings in the clutch are whinning as I drive along even with the system off. I priced them just now at various places on the web. Like the person said above, the clutch is only about 35.00 bucks. And, I think I can replace it myself. Thats such a good price, I'm thinking I'll go ahead and do it as long as that will stop the noise the clutch is making.

Tracey12

The clutch is separate from the pulley part of the compressor.

If the noise goes away when the AC is turned on it is probably just the clutch.

If the noise does not go away you probably have a bad pulley bearing. You can confirm this by removing the drive belt and spinning the AC pulley.

If you have a bad bearing it is probably time for a new compressor.

Tracey12

The clutch is separate from the pulley part of the compressor.

If the noise goes away when the AC is turned on it is probably just the clutch.

If the noise does not go away you probably have a bad pulley bearing. You can confirm this by removing the drive belt and spinning the AC pulley.

If you have a bad bearing it is probably time for a new compressor.

:werd: You can pick up a compressor from a j/y for > $20

What I meant by $35 was an AC Delete pulley. Going this route, you will not have AC.

So if I replace the pulley, I won't have AC? I think I'm lost. I thouht that replacing the pulley or the clutch sa they are calling it online at the part houses would stop the noise and the AC system would work just like it does now minus the noise. Am I missing something here?

This pulley I speak of is an AC Delete pulley. Basically, you pull your compressor out, it bolts up where the compressor did, and you use your stock belt. Meaning, no more AC.

But, it sounds like you do want AC. I'd hit up a JY locally to see how much they want for one.

AC Delete Pulley, is basicaly a free spinning pulley, that's not attached to the AC compressor, so you won't have AC in the summer or spring. The AC Delete pulley is there just so the belt can fit on as usual, but you won't have AC.

Now, you need a AC clutch plate, or a new pulley. Pulley is more expensive, and I never took mine off. I took of the clutch plate with that rented tool, and then there is a little retainer/spring in there, you have to get off with a set of pliers or something like that. It's just a little flexible ring around the shaft.

When you have the clutch off of the AC compressor, try spinning the pulley, and see if it makes any kind of noise, or if it feels loose, or shakey. Mine seemed alright to me, so left it alone, never even took it off. I put the little retainer ring on there, and put the $2 clutch plate I got from a J/Y, and tightened it up. The clutch has to be anywhere between 0.016 to 0.020 inches away from the pulley. Just don't forget the little retainer ring like I did, I had to take the clutch off again for that. :bash: I'm not sure why my AC doesn't work now, either too cold, or something else went wrong with the compressor at the same time, but the grinding noise is gone, and I can wait until it warms up to fix it up. I might just get a used compressor, with 4 months warranty from a local J/Y, and put that on.

Oh ok, wow, I was lost. Now I see what you two are talking about. I had no idea what the delete pulley was. Now I get it. Yes, I would die from heat stroke without AC in Houston's hot summers so I've got to fix it before the bearings seize up, if thats what is making the noise.

I can turn off the AC and the clutch still makes noise, but the sound changes and is less intense.....I hope that doesn't mean the compressor bearing is dying.

I will find a JY to see how much a compressor is complete. But, can those compressors be clean enough to use??? Any bit of dirt in the system will slam it shut.

Well so will putting it on your car if you don't remove it somewhere first. Practice at the J/Y on a shitty one, and then do the one you want. By the time you get home, you'll be pro. :lol: