2004 Grand Prix

Guest RedCutlassSL

Ha ha ha! Shawn, is there any GM design that suits your tastes? :D

For 03-04, I think the 04 GTO is pretty much it... and that's not even a GM North American design, it's a 5-yr old Holden!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GnatGoSplat

• Brian P

• 91GranSport

• Robby1870

Yeah, a lot of you guys need to get with the times!!!!

The times sucks! Screw the times!

Thank God this isn't Japan where they charge a hefty "old car" tax.

The cars that I don't like to see coming down the road that GM builds is as follows:

These are for the new ones....

1. Chevrolet Cavalier

2. Buick Rendevous(sp?)

3. Cadillac CTS

4. Chevrolet Monte Carlo

5. Chevrolet Tracker

6. Chevrolet Avalanche

7. Pontiac Vibe

8. And the one that puts the icing on this hideous cake is the ASStek! :puke:

I might have missed a couple, but those are the ones I hate the most.

Aaron

The '93-'96 GT/GTP coupes were the best years for the Grand Prix to me. The '97-'03 GT/GTP coupes were very nice, but to me they entire Gen2 Grand Prix platform was a rip-off of the Regal, including the powertrain.

I still dont like. I think the older ones like 88-96 were the best looking. The 97-03 GP were nice but they didn't have the look of the 88-96. The 88-96's looked tougher and sportier. Now these 2004 GP's just don't appeal to me regardless of how much I see them or how much HP they have! :puke: :puke:

What the hell is the 280X2?

The 280X2 version on the 3800 was built for the Gforce concept car although I can't see why it wouldn't be the top motor.

In order for the W-Body to compete with BMW's 3-Series it needs the following:

- Rear Wheel Drive

- 5-Speed (or 6-Speed) Manual

- Build quality that exceeds Cadillac's standards

- All aluminum DOHC multi-valve engines

can you actually believe that GM said "we are aiming the new gp at BMW" <-------- :lol: :lol: :lol: WTF are they smoking! #1 if you don't make a performance car in 5 or 6speed then you already lost. No matter how much hp and tq gm throws at the gp if you don't make a manual shift then you will never even get close to competing with bmw.

I think you meant "Shawn" right? :)

Anyways, the C/K-Series truck was beautiful from '93-'96 when it was still boxy and you could barely distinguish a Chevy from a GMC. Then '97-'02 was beautiful as well, and tougher than a bastard! Now the '03+ models look like the front end was designed by the same idiot who penned the '03+ Sunfire! What the hell is up with those headlights?

I think almost every new car is ugly. Even the chevy trucks are starting to look funny. I liked the way they were. Like Sawns truck.

Yeah, and to think they pay the fucker $1M+ a year. That's what you get for hiring someone who worked for Chrysler. Anyways, Lutz actually brought some nice ideas, but he didn't pen the designs himself. Some other idiot did that.

They said Lutz would make things better, but it looks like things are getting uglier.

The only four banger performance vehicle I know of us the Lotus Esprit S4S, other than that everything else that's a four cylinder is a piece of crap. Unless the four cylinder has a displacement of 1L/cylinder, I think it'd be a piece of crap in terms of performance. Unless you mount it on a go-cart.

Lutz is a putz. Have you seen the solstice yet? Lutz wanted to design a pure performance car. Start with no power anything. Very simple interior. AND A 4 CYLINDER?!?!?! Oh yeah, that's performance you retard.

Yeah, I know what you mean. A 4 cylinder in a car is not a performance, I dont care how much power it has. A pure performance motor is one that while running in idle, will rattle the windows out of a house, and have enough torque to pull a building down.

Robby

In order for the W-Body to compete with BMW's 3-Series it needs the following:

I don't think a W-body could ever compete with a BMW.

My wife's half brother had an '89 BMW 7-series that he totaled. I don't remember exactly what model it was, but it's one with a V12 engine. I never thought much about them, because BMW's of that time period weren't particularly aesthetically pleasing to me... BUT the body hardware is exceptional. Body panels are firm and solid with absolutely no give and no flex, even at the edges where GM body panels tend to flex and squeak if you grab the edge and wiggle it. The BMW fenders felt like every single point was securely anchored. The quarter panels had no flex to them, even when pushing firmly. Granted, the 7-series was a $90,000 car way back then, but I have never seen this kind of quality in ANY GM product, including Cadillac.

Guest Anonymous
The cars that I don't like to see coming down the road that GM builds is as follows:

These are for the new ones....

1. Chevrolet Cavalier

2. Buick Rendevous(sp?)

3. Cadillac CTS

4. Chevrolet Monte Carlo

5. Chevrolet Tracker

6. Chevrolet Avalanche

7. Pontiac Vibe

8. And the one that puts the icing on this hideous cake is the ASStek! :puke:

I might have missed a couple, but those are the ones I hate the most.

Aaron

I agree with you on almost all of these. I saw an Avalanche the other day in all black that didn't look too bad. And I kinda like the Cadillac also. But I don't think I would ever buy either cause I don't like them that much.

Ahh!! How could I forget the Sunfire, with the F'd up headlights! I wouldn't want to get hit head on by one of these either! The front is so pointed, it would probly split me in half! Same goes for the ass end. The CTS is "alright". From the side, it is a beautiful car to me, but the front and ass is just freakin NASTY, and only comes with a V-6! As for the Avalanche, I do like it better without all the cladding.

Aaron

What the hell is the 280X2?

The 280X2 version on the 3800 was built for the Gforce concept car although I can't see why it wouldn't be the top motor.

I "think" it means 280HP and 280lb-ft torque.

Yeah, a lot of you guys need to get with the times!!!!

You're talking cosmetics, I'm talking the overall engineering of the mechanical & performance aspects. If the '04 GP is GM's interpretation of the sign of the times, I think your comment should be directed to them instead.

(Moves right arm and hand in gate patterns beside him) - Damnit! GM is depriving me of a performance oriented coupe/sedan. My arm is deprived of any action that resembles shift movement! F1-inspired shift-paddles are only as good as the car they are attached to. This is easily true for the F355 - but not a friggin' zoo creature sloth four-door wannabe racer like the 'new' GP. Since when has anyone been EXCITED to see what's come? Let me take you down memory lane in no particular order...

Wow, that new Monte Carlo is ugly

Wow, that new Impala is ugly

Wow, that new Aztek is indescribably ugly

Wow, that new Bonneville isn't too bad

Wow, that new Sunfire is BUTT ugly

Wow, that new Avalanche

Wow, that new Vibe isn't even Pontiac's design and it's still ugly (though I must admit, I'm still impressed at the many utilitarian model-varieties - GEE, THANKS TOYOTA!)

Wow, that new Grand Prix (an estimated majority see it as a step-backwards in design, function, and heritage value - I won't elaborate further)

The only vehicles I've been excited to see come from GM are:

GMC Denali - and now the quad-steer Silverado

Chev Trailblazer (GMC Envoy is a little more attractive)

The Vibe only because I can have what I need/want from a small car I will end up needing for my future considerations

That's about it. If anyone else is as little excited about GM's engineering for style and purpose, they're succeeding in pushing us away from their product and heading towards the auto-makers that seem to understand and willingly make money at catering to our so-called old-school needs/wants.

I agree with you Shawn, I just wanted to point out what GM had to do in order to compete with BMW. Let's just put it this way, the W-Body will never be on the same par as BMW. GM itself will never build vehicles that have the same build quality as BMW.

The 7 Series Penny's brother owned was probably the 750i or 750iL if it was a long-wheelbase model. I believe it'd be a 5.0L DOHC 48-valve V-12.

I don't think a W-body could ever compete with a BMW.

My wife's half brother had an '89 BMW 7-series that he totaled. I don't remember exactly what model it was, but it's one with a V12 engine. I never thought much about them, because BMW's of that time period weren't particularly aesthetically pleasing to me... BUT the body hardware is exceptional. Body panels are firm and solid with absolutely no give and no flex, even at the edges where GM body panels tend to flex and squeak if you grab the edge and wiggle it. The BMW fenders felt like every single point was securely anchored. The quarter panels had no flex to them, even when pushing firmly. Granted, the 7-series was a $90,000 car way back then, but I have never seen this kind of quality in ANY GM product, including Cadillac.

The 7 Series Penny's brother owned was probably the 750i or 750iL if it was a long-wheelbase model. I believe it'd be a 5.0L DOHC 48-valve V-12.

Yep, I think it was a 750i. It was a decent looking car, the exterior appearance wasn't all that impressive, but the build quality and feeling of solidity was outstanding.

I had never thought I'd be interested in any BMW, but now I think I wouldn't rule out getting an 8-9 year old 7-series someday.

The 90 - 92 Toronado was pair against a BMW in a major auto magazine, I cant remember which but there was a site that had a link to it some where, Ill see if I can find it.

Nice! I've always liked those 90-92 Trofeo's a lot. I'd definitely choose one over a BMW 3-series anyday, especially that body style of 3-series. Those older 3-series were ugly, IMO.