pitzel

Ok, I've used the search function, and haven't had any good answer to this question:

I have a 1992 Cutlass Supreme 4-door.

Recently we had freezing rain, and I was a bit too aggressive in trying to open the doors using the handles. The handles didn't physically break off, but something inside the doors broke and/or stretched, and now I can't open the doors reliably. I pull the handle, but it just seems like its moving, but not actually 'catching' on the parts inside that are needed to actually open the door. Almost as though its locked (although its unlocked...and I can sneak in through the back doors and open the front doors).

I have taken the interior parts of the door off, to try and get a look, to no avail.

Any ideas? Thank you, any advice is desperately appreciated.

you have most likely bent the linkage rods, although I've seen door handles that have cracked around the lug that pushes down on the rod, resulting in excess slack, but a handle that kinds still works, sometimes...

Depending on the design.... some cars have an easy to release snap clip that be be undone and allow the rod to be removed, with an adjustable part on a threaded shaft at the lower end, which can be adjusted to corect the problem.... though I'd try to straighten the rod slightly first, before ajusting....

If you don't have a snap clip and instead have a FUCKING black square thing, it is easiest to physically remove the entire door latch mechansism from the car, bend the rod straighter, and reinstall.

The 94 and 95 sedan CS's I have have the fucking black clip,

my 91 and 92 lumina have the easy to relase type clip.

if you have to remove the mechanism you have three torks bolts around the latch, and three rivets to drill out on the door, plus detaching the lock rod.....

btw if a handle is broken, front and rear door handles are the same(but not left and right), get a junk one from another cars rear door.

Thank you very much; my 1992 had the easy to release type clip, and the threaded shaft for adjustment. A complete pain in the (you know where) though to make adjustments to -- have to pretty much dissassemble the whole door.

At least I got one door working. Just have to service the passenger side now, the same way.

no problem. be warned though.... sometimes they are finicky..... I recommend straightening the rod slighty and then adjusting...

on my brothers 94 the drivers handle mechanism has failed 3 times now..... and I'm casually searching for a good j.y one, but not very hard, I tried a 95 CS one I had lying around, but it did not work. I know where I can get one if I wait till I go to a friends j/y.

hope all works out for you, AND>>>>>

get some silicone grease and grease up your weatherstriping, so if won't freeze stuck, and spray the mechanism with wd40.