1st gen brake upgrades?

91GPSTE

Was just wondering if it is possible to upgrade the brakes on my 91' to those of a newer car, say a 2002 Impala? Looks like my brakes are seizing up in the rear and I gotta replace the entire system so if the newer Impala police brakes will fit, I'd rather replace the whole thing.

You can upgrade the fronts to 95 1/2 - 96' brakes, it requires that you get the entire front strut assembly and the rotors. Calipers are re-used. The second-gen is entirely different. It would take a lot of work and welding to use their brakes.

You can upgrade the fronts to 95 1/2 - 96' brakes, it requires that you get the entire front strut assembly and the rotors. Calipers are re-used. The second-gen is entirely different. It would take a lot of work and welding to use their brakes.

Yes this is correct for the front, but how about the rear, where it is needed most? -ken

The 94 setup works just fine, and the front brakes do most of the work. I just don't feel it would be at all worth the effort to upgrade (barely) to the Impala setup from the 94 rear brakes.

impala rear brakes are drum in hat...not worth it...the brake pad size and rotor diameter is the same between the '94-up 1st gen and the 2nd gen...infact the brake pads carry the same part number

part of the idea... do the impala ones have a parking brake in-the-hat? like a drum brake in the center of the brake rotor's hub?

What do you think of that design? My grandfather came up with that for Delco Moraine for the 1965 Corvette. 8)

I love driving around down there. :lol:

part of the idea... do the impala ones have a parking brake in-the-hat? like a drum brake in the center of the brake rotor's hub?

What do you think of that design? My grandfather came up with that for Delco Moraine for the 1965 Corvette. 8)

I love driving around down there. :lol:

parking brake i\n the hat is theroretically supposed to be stronger, and it would not use the same surface as the regular brakes.

IF you drove really hard and stopped and used the PB, you could actually heat damage the rotors. i do notice more junk rotors have deep pad marks on the rear,m than the front.... Coincidence?????

however the drum in hat design could actually warp the rotor instead if it was applied hot and the rotor cools and contracts....