Someone explain to me the rear suspension on my car please

1990lumina

1990 Lumina Euro 3.1 f41 suspension if it matters.

I know is has a monoleaf, but what else is there besides there?? This seems to be a fairly wierd set up back there, and I want to know more about how it works.

Like is there struts or anything else back there - there must be because I can't see that monoleaf doing all the work.

My friend's dad said this is somewhat set up like a rear Corvette suspension...and it is supposed to keep the center of gravity low to the ground...I think it does I pretty good job of this (I can cruise around corners with stock everything at a pretty good speed).

Anyone care to share, that would be great :D!!

Thanks

Take one of your back wheels off and all of your questions will be answered :lol: ...

Too lazy :leaving:.....Yeah, in all honesty I probably should, and might have to anyway because something is banging and it sounds like it is coming from the rear right....like metal hitting metal (like a bushing or something is shot)...But yeah I was just wondering how it all worked..

So is a coil over like a spring around the strut?? Because when I'm removing ice and shit from the rear wheel wells I can see something is back there, but I wasn't sure what it was because it has no spring around it...I'm guessing this is the strut.

Would coil overs be like what is on my dad's Taurus???

rearleaf.jpg

i don't know if this was covered, so i made a paiint drawing, now i left out obvious things like trailing arms, but essentially you have one spring that is fixed in the center of the chaassis and each side can function indepenently of each other with the struts for dampening purposes.

Here's a pic I snapped of my old GP's rear suspension (driver's side) :

sbds.jpg

Actually it was to highlight the swaybar for someone, but you get the idea.

Here's one from when I was replacing the struts on the Regal, obviously with the strut missing:

strutout.jpg

Here's one of the Regal's suspension, driver's side, pre-KYB's:

figure8.jpg

So Kevin, where in those pics would you put Moog monoleaf helper pads?
First pic where it points to "Monoleaf Pad." Put a jack and a block of wood underneath the spring as close to the knuckle as you can get it and jack the spring up enough so it isn't touching the knuckle. Scrape off the old rubber pad and place the new pad inside the knuckle under where the spring sits...