@$*@$@$&# LIM!!11FIVE

digitaloutsider

I'm posting this in powertrain because the W-bodies share this engine too. The 3400 in the Montana has a leaking LIM. There's coolant in the oil, and it looks like a milky sludge (seen it many a time before). All I really need to know is what gasket people use most (Felpro, GM OEM, etc.) and what other parts or speciality tools are required.

Thanks guys.. :(

I'm posting this in powertrain because the W-bodies share this engine too. The 3400 in the Montana has a leaking LIM. There's coolant in the oil, and it looks like a milky sludge (seen it many a time before). All I really need to know is what gasket people use most (Felpro, GM OEM, etc.) and what other parts or speciality tools are required.

Thanks guys.. :(

GM oem, because they have corrected the LIM problem now

Felpro also updated thier design to fix the cracking issue however they took a different approach. GM uses metal tabs around the bolt holes in the gasket to prevent cracking from over torquing (the reason for the cracking). Felpro used a different kind of plastic for the frame and made it a bit beefier in those areas.

Both styles make use of a revised rubber/urthane material for the seal. You can use either but I would stick with GM. Also be sure to get the revised LIM bolts annd have a GM tech print the TSB for you which has the revised torque spec and procedure.

Have fun.

Bought the gasket kit and bolts from GM. Set me back about $125. I'm gonna get ahold of my buddy who has his own garage. I'm not doing this in my front yard. :lol:

Glad you bought the GM ones. Good luck with it.

well your average w-body has alot more room to work with then the cramped quaters that a u vans got so i can see that taking awhile longer.

Ah... crap, I was thinking this was his cutty. Guess I need to read more.

well your average w-body has alot more room to work with then the cramped quaters that a u vans got so i can see that taking awhile longer.

Ah... crap, I was thinking this was his cutty. Guess I need to read more.

:lol: :lol:

Yeah.. it's in the damn Montana. Ughghgh.h,.ht,rhther,. I might get up the gumption to do it tomorrow.

Other than the wiper transmission getting in the way, and the alternator bracket bolts being barely visible w/o a mirror, it's not much harder. Been there done that. May wanna change out the spark plugs and wires if they haven't been done, at the same time since there'll be a good amount of extra room for the rears.

I've given up on this for now.. I don't have the patience to even look at that stupid POS at the moment. If this was in a Grand Am or something I wouldn't care. It's a nightmare in that goddamn U-van..

GM did update the design of the LIM gaksets after 1998 I think, and the new ones are much stronger. I've never used anything but the factory gaskets so that's all I can speak to.

try 2003, 99-2002 1/2 all have the problem, but the 2003+ grand ams dont

You don't have to pull the rear valve cover off to do a lower intake job.....this means the coil packs and alternator don't have to come off either.

If its a 'traditional' 3100 or 3400, the intake leaks. Haven't seen any of the Equinox or Z Malibu cars yet.