No steering after trans install, how to fix?

dbtk2

I am almost completely done putting the new (rebuilt) trans in the STE, I just have a few hoses and connections to hook up and one trans cooler line, then it just needs trans fluid and some coolant and its done. However, when I put the cradle back in and bolted up the rack, I turned the wheel to make sure it worked right (because I have heard of people having problems with it not steering after cam swaps and whatnot) and the tires didn't do anything. I know on the '97+ GP's that all that happened was the steering column was pulled out of the rack and it just needs to be reinstalled, is this the case with our cars or do I need to get a new rack installed, or maybe do something else? I need to get this thing on the road, my 295/50/15's on my TA don't agree with the snow.

Shawn

Did you not disconnect the pinch bolt for the steering column? You need to do that when you drop the cradle.

I know you need to do that when you drop the cradle. Of what purpose did your post serve at all??? Unless you're trying to help the problem there really is no point in posting. I'm not trying to be an ass, but its just that a post like that has no point. To make a long story short, about 13 months ago my trans went bad. Brought the car to a trans shop they "fixed" it. So 1 week later the trans puked again. The trans shop claimed it wasn't their fault, etc... and didn't want to fix it. Then they said they would fix it, tore it all apart, decided they didn't want to put it back together, and gave me the car back and the trans back seperately, and the trans was in pieces. All I did was put the trans together and the car back together. When they took it apart they unbolted the ps rack from the cradle and suspended it with mechanics wire, which works just fine if your careful.

Shawn

okay, i've been there, done that. its a bitch but not that bad, first things first, drop the column outa the car, pull the drivers front wheel and take out whatever you gotta to get a clear view of where the steering shaft connects to the rack, you may have to drop that corner of the cradle down to get at it better. then disconnect the piece that connects to te rack, i believe its 11mm, pull that off and you will be able to see how it all goes together. i wish i could describe how it is supposed to connect, but anyhow disconnect the coupler from the end of the column and reatatch everything how it should be, while your at it regrease the slider that moves with the column. then put that all back where it ought to be and put the column in. i know its not exact, but its been about a year since i did this so my deatails aren't the best.

Did you not disconnect the pinch bolt for the steering column? You need to do that when you drop the cradle.

I know you need to do that when you drop the cradle. Of what purpose did your post serve at all??? Unless you're trying to help the problem there really is no point in posting. I'm not trying to be an ass, but its just that a post like that has no point. To make a long story short, about 13 months ago my trans went bad. Brought the car to a trans shop they "fixed" it. So 1 week later the trans puked again. The trans shop claimed it wasn't their fault, etc... and didn't want to fix it. Then they said they would fix it, tore it all apart, decided they didn't want to put it back together, and gave me the car back and the trans back seperately, and the trans was in pieces. All I did was put the trans together and the car back together. When they took it apart they unbolted the ps rack from the cradle and suspended it with mechanics wire, which works just fine if your careful.

Shawn

Wow. Uhhh.... The column did seperate, correct? Then the mechanic's wire was NOT sufficient. It's not like I said OMG UR WRONG U IDIOT GO BUY A KIA. I asked a simple question.