Just got back from the dyno run...

eclipse5302

With my 91 Cutlass 5-speed Turbo 3.1. I got 202.8 HP, and 275.6 TQ at the wheels. This was at 12-14 psi roughly. It should have been more HP I think, but the chip tuning isn't correct right now (its still the auto memcal). I plan on doing lots of tuning when I get the pocket programmer and some software. We just finished the 3 inch exhaust with a 40 series Flowmaster, and the car sounds real mean. When I get some time, I will update my website to show you guys everything.

Jason

No knock or det, only a little during shifting sometimes...and that has to do with the chip and the decel enleanment setting, I think. Hopefully that will be taken car of soon.

Jason

Actually my A/F ratios were great during the run. I use a cold start injector from a SAAB that turns on around 13-14 psi to help out with the ECMs' (and injectors') limit on fuel in that area. With turbos, you really run in to problems only when you run lean (or super high boost on a block/turbo that can't handle it). I'm planning on running a bigger intercooler and turbo very soon, so that should help...

Jason

what are you gonna use for a turbo & intercooler? and how much boost will the TGP engine handle? so far i'm hoping to use a T-25/T-28 hybrid and the stock TGP intercooler. oh yeah what are you using for boost control? i was thinking of using a grainger valve set very low (at first) and then keep a close eye on the A/F & boost gauges and then turn up the grainger. i'd also like to get that SMC alcohol injection kit but it sure is expensive.

joshua

Well, for the intercooler...I was planning on either a Spearco or Ford PowerStroke (modified). As for how much boost the motor will handle, time will tell. I'm just going to keep adding boost and fuel (being smart about it, not diving in and wondering what happened later) until I am satisfied. If I even need to go that high. You see, when you use a larger turbo, you can run more boost, but the other side is that you can run the same amount of boost at a lower AIC temp. For example, a T25 at 12psi brings the intercooled air to about 130-150 degrees. A T3/T4 will do 12 psi at around 100-130 degrees. I'm not positive of the temps but you get the idea. So you're really not gaining more boost, you gaining better quality boost. Now, the big T28 is also a good idea, especially with an auto, because you don't take too much of a hit with spool-up. I have a manual and an auto, so the manual car will probably get a larger turbo. For boost control, I use a 2 stepped Grainger valve. Step one is around 5-6 psi for normal driving. Step two is full boost, usually for racing. This is controlled by a switch. DEFINATELY get an A/F and boost gauge. I use AutoMeter. I'm getting an EGT meter soon as well to aid in tuning. And lastly, you MUST have a good fuel system to run high boost. I have a brand new pump, injectors, and filter. MY FPR is still OK. At full boost, my A/F is around 11:1-12:1 (according to the 4 gas at the dyno). But, I'm sure I will need to go to a Walboro 255lph pump just to make sure there is no chance of starvation at high RPM. Which would suck...

Lots of fun.

Jason

wow, some inteligence on this board :D , (I came from the efi-boards) , say... has any one herd or a turbo'd 3.4 DOHC, Im really really wanting to turbo my gtp next year when I rebuild my engine and tranz and I just wanted to know how to do it.

ya brian is working on it. i tried working on it and i gave up, probably gonna try again later, pioneering something that has to do with reprogramming chips and stuff is not my cup of tea.

eclipse, those are awesome #'s

Hmmmm, TC'ing a 3.4. If you could get the compression down a little, and get a chip for it, it would be possible. The chip would also have to control the transmission...which is electronic. There will be a lot of custom work though, like the crossover pipe, downpipe, rear exhaust header (which I don't think you can use a front one, because the cylinders are offset)...in fact most of the turbo setup will have to be custom. You're talking quite a bit of cash. With a 3.1, you can use most of the parts from the 89-90 TGPs (unless you have a 5-speed, in which you will need a custom turbo mount and chip). With a 3.4 all of that goes out of the window. But that doesn't make the turbo 3.4 impossible, just a little more difficult than most things.

It would be pretty cool though, a nice high revving V-6 motor with a turbo...hmmm. You'd probably need a bigger turbo than a T25 though, because the 3.4 is able to process more air than a 3.1 (it has better VE, and 4V per cylinder). You can't go too big of a turbo with an automatic trans, especially with the 3.4 having very little low end power to start with. Bad low end power with the spool-up time of a large turbo and an automatic = crawling off the line.

Sorry, got carried away.

Jason

Guest Anonymous
sorry, I was just asking, if there was BS in there I really didnt mean it, after all I came over here to get away from the BS

NO NO NO... I meant you will get no bullshit in the answers to your questions. I guess I should've worded that different. Sorry.

With my 91 Cutlass 5-speed Turbo 3.1. I got 202.8 HP, and 275.6 TQ at the wheels. This was at 12-14 psi roughly. It should have been more HP I think, but the chip tuning isn't correct right now (its still the auto memcal). I plan on doing lots of tuning when I get the pocket programmer and some software. We just finished the 3 inch exhaust with a 40 series Flowmaster, and the car sounds real mean. When I get some time, I will update my website to show you guys everything.

Jason

What turbo? if you upgrade to a larger turbo (assiming you have a stock TGP trubo) and run the same boost you will have More CFM's and make more power on the same boots levels. also i would say don't do the Flowmasters. they create backpressure (as do all chambered mufflers) i would look in to a straight through muffler like a magnaflow. the exhaust will definalty help spool the turbo. with the auto chip and a 5spd tranny i couldn't tell you how it would react...

BTW: nice numbers!

RedZ

I'm not sure which one yet, but since I have a 5 speed I can use a much larger turbo than if I had an automatic (spool time won't hurt me too bad). So I'm looking at a T3/T4. Of course, that will mean a new downpipe (which will have to be 3 inch to match my exhaust) and a new crossover or flange. Lots of custom crap.

Oh, and I have to pay for a wedding and a house.

Ummm, on second thought, it might be a while before a turbo upgrade.

The car actually runs pretty good considering all of the fuel/timing tables are for an automatic. But a good friend of mine has sent me a manual/turbo chip for testing, so we'll see what happens.

Jason

I'm not sure which one yet, but since I have a 5 speed I can use a much larger turbo than if I had an automatic (spool time won't hurt me too bad). So I'm looking at a T3/T4. Of course, that will mean a new downpipe (which will have to be 3 inch to match my exhaust) and a new crossover or flange. Lots of custom crap.

Oh, and I have to pay for a wedding and a house.

Ummm, on second thought, it might be a while before a turbo upgrade.

The car actually runs pretty good considering all of the fuel/timing tables are for an automatic. But a good friend of mine has sent me a manual/turbo chip for testing, so we'll see what happens.

Jason

Turbo upgrades definatly get pricy. A T3/4 Turbo is a good trubo. very expencive turbo but good. I would recomend looking into a Turbonetics T60-1 HIFI. it is a modified T3 that has rediculas Flow rates for boost levels under 20psi. my roomate is running that one on his 2001 Type R and just ran a 13.5@103mph on a stock motor and 6.5psi, that was also at 5800ft of altitude. as for the downpipe, a 2.5" should suffice but a 3" is better. if you need steel braided flexes let me know i can get a good deal on good quality flexes.

RedZ

yeah, but i just don't know alot about turbos yet so i just want to start with a TGP setup and go from there. i have almost everything from a TGP but the turbo itself and the oil/coolant return/supply lines and other small stuff like the 2-bar MAP. besides, i don't know where i'd get a custom crossover. i was thinking, what about a T3 from a Turbo T-bird? i was just looking at one in the j/y today....anyway could i use something like this as a core? i heard that turbo could work well on a 3.1, but like i said, i don't know alot about this stuff yet. like bolt pattern, A/R, flow maps, ugh. i know the T3 i was looking at today had a rectangular bolt pattern (i noticed the exhaust manifold was cracked all to hell too). not sure on actual dimensions. i'd probably need a custom downpipe too. would love to hear any ideas/replies tho. FWIW i'd be happy with high 13's or even low 14's. thanks

joshua

it wouldn't be to hard. any reputable muffler shop should be able to swap the T3 flange on and do any piping you need. Allot of shops won't even touch turbo's tho. A very easy cheap upgrade is to do a T28/T3 hibred. it will keep the T28 exhaust housing, everthing should bolt up and your Compressor size will be upgraded to a T3. so you get the same ammount of boost possibly capible of more but a much better CFM flow rating. More cfm's=more power. If you are ever interested in doing any custom turbo stuff and your in the colorado area, let me know i will treat you good.

Shane