How hard to replace a rocker panel?

99vetteman

Idiot question of the day. As you guys know, I have been on the hunt for a half decent early 90's w-body. Lumina Z34, Cutlass Coupe/Convertible etc etc. The cars are half decent but most have rotted out rocker panels. How hard are these to replace? Whats involved? And what do they usually cost?

Thanks alot

Jason

Pretty hard, almost impossible for the DIY'er unless you're real good with a welder. The rockers are welded on and will need to be cut off and new pieces welded. Labor will be pretty high.

I would recommend trying to find a more southern car.

Pretty hard, almost impossible for the DIY'er unless you're real good with a welder. The rockers are welded on and will need to be cut off and new pieces welded. Labor will be pretty high.

I would recommend trying to find a more southern car.

:werd:

If you are anything like me with a welder....you'll need to do a lot of grinding and whatnot...or just find a better condition car.

They are out there...just gotta find 'em ;)

The rockers are covered up on all the cars you named anyway. :shrug:

It's a pain in the ass nonetheless, but I guess it aint too bad. Mine were rusted through in quite a few spots on both sides.

Basically...

Sand and Rust Mort

Fiberglass cloth/resin

Plastic filler

A bunch more sanding

Glazing putty

Filler primer

Primer sealer

Paint

Clear

Took me a few days to do both rockers, but it turned out nice, and it's held up great so far. Was considering welding on panels, but it would be too hard for me...I'd probobly warp the shit out of them, or melt em. :lol:

66442151.jpg

66442182.jpg

66442204.jpg

Also took care of the typical rear 1/4 rust with the same method...

sts044.jpg

I'd say... dont let that rust deter you from a good deal or an otherwise nice car, but if you can get one rust-free, DO IT!

Jay I know how you like your cars to be in tip-top shape. You've owned some really nice w-bodies. Best thing WOULD be to find a more southern car, or one that's been kept in good shape. If it needs rockers, it probably has more rust and ultimatly needs a paintjob to be the kinda shape you are looking for.

I had to do both of my rocker panels, they were completely rusted through , and even part of their support structure.

I cut out EVERYTHING that was bad

Then I used POR-15 on everything left..

Next, I used spray in foam, so that when i laid the fiberglass, it had something to adhere to, it melted the foam a little , but not a lot.

I did 5-6 layers... I went overboard for a reason. The rocker panels on a CS International have little studs that extend out from the body to mount the ground effects.

Then I used some screw in type studs, they look like lag bolts on on side, and regular studs on the other.You have to drill a hole ahead of time to keep the fiberglass from cracking....

After another layer or two of glass over the stud, do your body filler to get the area smooth, and prime/paint.

If your wondering about the foam.... when you open the door, there is a vent panel that is screwed in right below the stud where your door locks against the body. take that out, and rip out the foam.

Now you have rockers that are really strong , and won't rust.

I replaced mine with new GM rockers. The guy said I got the last 2 out of 6 in the country!

Its kind of hard to see on these pics

car.jpg

low2.jpg

Thats some really good work.....

Looks nice Jcrow... :wink:

What do you mean by spray in foam? Like that insulation shit?

The person who did the rockers before me used that stuff and put aluminum tape over it. So when it would get warm outside, that foam would expand and push the tape outward...looked like hell. :lol:

I tried to gouge all that shit out with a screwdriver before I glassed over it, so it wouldn't push my bodywork out when it got warm outside. Sounds like you had strong enough fiberglass that it wouldn't get pushed out though.

What do you mean by spray in foam? Like that insulation shit?

The person who did the rockers before me used that stuff and put aluminum tape over it. So when it would get warm outside, that foam would expand and push the tape outward...looked like hell. :lol:

I tried to gouge all that shit out with a screwdriver before I glassed over it, so it wouldn't push my bodywork out when it got warm outside. Sounds like you had strong enough fiberglass that it wouldn't get pushed out though.

Yea the spray in shit... thats why you tear it out after the fiberglass sets. You don't wanna leave it in there. It's just there to hold the shape while you glass.

You guys are crazy as hell??? They make a rocker that slips on and you can just rivit it if you want. I spot welded mine but rivit will hold up just as good.

No bondo or fiberglass that will just bubble and fall off in a couple of years and defineatly not spray foam.. :smilielol: Gees.

JC Whitney has them for $35. I talked to another guy from Smeal's (an auto body supplier here in PA) He has them for $42 so i'm sure they have them in your area just go to a junkyard thet sells new body parts.

You guys are crazy as hell??? They make a rocker that slips on and you can just rivit it if you want. I spot welded mine but rivit will hold up just as good.

No bondo or fiberglass that will just bubble and fall off in a couple of years and defineatly not spray foam.. :smilielol: Gees.

JC Whitney has them for $35. I talked to another guy from Smeal's (an auto body supplier here in PA) He has them for $42 so i'm sure they have them in your area just go to a junkyard thet sells new body parts.

I didn't want anything that would rust again. , and I don't think mine will be "falling off" anytime soon. My car doesn't have any foam in it... the foam was just there to make the basic shape of the rockerpanel while i fiberglassed. I do like your suggestion though, because it would have been nice to have a metal replacment that i could have treated so that it would have never rusted. I did the same thing with my fenders, I coated the inside surface with glass to prevent rust.....

Hey Toro, you think your steps may work for some rear wheel wells?

I dont see any reason why it wouldn't. It's come out great on everything I've tried it on...

And my stuff hasn't fallen off yet either, and I'm not expecting it to. It's people who dont know how to use it, or buy the cheapest shit around that give filler and fiberglass a bad reputation. You can get some really nice results if you take your time, and PREP PREP PREP.

I don't think filler and fiberglass is the best to use, because eventually where the other material is bonded to the metal will develop tiny cracks allowing moisture to get in. Rusting will be accelerated in that area, kind of like when rust starts forming behind paint.

Although... I don't think most people on here keep their cars that long for it to matter.

I've also found that pop/beer can boxes work well. I patched the rocker panels on my '88 with a Diet Pepsi box to back up the filler, and it came out real nice. I actually had to rebuild the lower part of the driver's side front fender and I actually had it done so well i drilled it and re-fastened the mudflaps! lol

That was pretty close to 200,000 miles and it had been through 15 Northwestern Pennsylvania winters, so i really wasn't mad about it. Suprsingly, the underbody on that car looked almost new

I don't think filler and fiberglass is the best to use, because eventually where the other material is bonded to the metal will develop tiny cracks allowing moisture to get in. Rusting will be accelerated in that area, kind of like when rust starts forming behind paint.

Although... I don't think most people on here keep their cars that long for it to matter.

I don't know... Like I said before I started with the glass and everything I coated the entire area with POR-15. THEN I started with the temp foam, and fiberglass...

Doesn't really matter... If I had to do it over again... I would buy the metal set, and just rustproof the shit outta that....

Suprsingly, the underbody on that car looked almost new

Mine too , it was just the rockers... isn't that weird?

You guys can do to your cars whatever you like. All I'm saying is that W-Body's are Uni-Bodies and the rocker is a pretty good structure of it. I'm suprised it doesn't crack?

Just an FYI:

I've sent alot of Regals and Grand Prix's to there final resting place and all of them didn't have any rockers left under the side skirts. And you the ones with astro roofs didn't have any quarters left behind the doors either because the roof had nowhere for the water to go. Another bad GM disign I guess??

• 9 years later...

Its darn near a decade later. Anyone, particularly the guy who did bondo + fiberglass, care to comment on how it turned out? I'm looking at the same problem, but, of course, have the dilemma of not wanting to toss a pile of money into a car with limited service life.