Possible brake upgrades?

cryptnix

I was talking to a Advanced Auto guy when I was buying my struts/mounts... and they said something about how the intrigue (sp..) brakes can fit on our cars without any problems ... but it has to be a certain make or some sort of b.s.

Can someone shed some light on this subject. I am really currious!

Not our cars, but the gen 2 W's which are completely different on the front suspension. There is no more hope of getting Intrigue brakes to fit a gen 1 than there is of putting Corvette brakes on our cars.

In my experience, auto parts store guys rarely know what they're talking about. The more confident the guy sounds, the less likely he knows what he's talking about.

Really all that is standing in the way are the correct adapters. I'm almost certain that as long as the brakes are bigger, and a proper rotor can be found for it, you should be able to make an adapter for it. I've been considering finding som f-body brakes or Vette brakes to test fit and design an adapter. Of course any time you want larger brakes, often you need bigger wheels too. Thats why its hard to market something like that. But if i can make them fit, i could have a run of adapters made and sell some to recover cost but im thinking well out into 06 before i start to worry about whether my brakes are good enough!

There really is no reason why the front brakes on a 2nd gen should be any better than the large rotor 1st gens...Rotors are about the same diameter, pads are fairly close, piston pressures (theoretical) should be pretty close also.

Oh and the rears...yeah pretty much identical stopping power back there if you have the '94'97 rear disks on your Gen-1

If you think the W-body Brakes suck, try driving a '95 4x4 Blazer. Hell I autocross my car and can tell you they work damn good...you just have to push the shit out of the brake pedal.

i suppose it doesn't help much having subwoofers in your trunk does it? :D

well i know when i put my car into the ditch ... my e-brake hangers got bent and i use the ebrake alot cause i don't like applying pressure to the trans even when i think i'm sitting on level ground. ... when I'm doing all my suspension work I think I may take a closer look ... being in all i have alot of pink shit to remove from my underbody !!! TSK TSK TSK

subwoofers? lol I had 5 people inside and a Chrysler Iron A-833 4-speed in the trunk...lemme tell you that definately didn't help! I acutally bottomed out the rear end of the car...damn flint roads!

88-93 W-body Rotors: 10.5"

Stock 97+ Front rotors: 10.9" Grand Prix, Regal

95.5-96 factory Rotors: 11.25"

97+ Upgrade rotors: 11.9"

the 97+ brakes are not worth it, you need aftermarket ones anyway just to get an extra .65", or else the factory ones will be SMALLER than ones that actually fit your car! 95-96! lol. Moral is unless you want to go to 13" rotors, dont bother, not worth the effort.

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=3&i=96679&t=96679

There seems to be some interesting information about w-body front spindles and larger brakes. Don't know if there is any truth behind any of the information there, but sure sounds like there might be.

the link says it's possible to put f-body calipers on our cars with little fabrication...

That is true...also, you have to consider that they can't take up much more room on the outboard side than the stock w-calipers or they will hit the wheel.

No opposed piston calipers will fit on our cars, that's for sure.

2000 F-body (Camaro/Firebird), dual piston aluminum. I think a few other years fit (98-02??), whichever is that same model generation. Only thing that needed to be changed was to re-tap the holes in the brackets (14mm from 12mm), and re-use the banjo bolt from the camaro caliper, as the one from the GP is the same size but different thread.

ive seen it done... im also doing it to my car this winter (only thing is the honey comb rims wont fit)

ya ill post some pictures aswell

edit 2... i got a set of 1997 + gold 5 spokes im gunna put on instead

Look again at the J-body link. It clearly says that the f-bod brakes will work on a SECOND gen w-body.

i've seen it done on a 1993 GTP ( with 1999 GTP tq star rims on it... and yes the spare tire has to be changed aswell ( he did them on the front and back) i emailed him and asked for pictures

So are you converting to the newer style front suspension as well?

ya 97 + (koning sp?) adjustables

Converting to the newer style front suspension involves a lot of welding and fabrication. That's a lot of trouble for marginally better braking.