bleeding barkes

birdman

what is the correct way to bleed these brakes because i just replaced the rear calipers, pads, and rotors and the way we blead them was for me to push the pedal down and hold then he open and shut the valve. we did all the wheels and the car wasnt running. now there really really mushy and it worse than when i started. any ideas???

use a hose coming off the bleeder screw into a glass jar filled with brake fluid so you can see the bubbles.

Our Quad 4 Cutlass had a mushier pedal after we replaced the calipers/pads/rotors in the rear...but it got better after some miles on it.

Guest TurboSedan

start at the wheel furthest from the master cylinder...ie the passenger side rear wheel.

- attatch a clear line (like aquarium air hose) and put it on the bleeder fitting. run the other end into a clear container with some brake fluid in it. submerse the end of the line into the brake fluid and make sure it stays submersed.

- make sure the master cylinder fluid reservoir is toppped off.

- have a friend pump the brakes a few times and hold them down.

- open the bleeder with the right sized flare wrench and let the fluid/air come out. the brake pedal will go down to the floor....have your friend tell you when it does.

- when it goes to the floor, have him hold it there while you tighten the bleeder valve back up. don't let off the brake pedal until the bleeder valve is tight again.

- go back and make sure the master cylinder fluid reservoir is full and top off as necessary.

- repeat several times until no air comes out....just clean fluid.

- repeat same process at every wheel.