Possible LF Spring problems??

19Cutlass94

Well you might remember the thread I had a while back about the weird noise I thought might be a wheel bearing on its way out...(http://www.w-body.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31254&highlight=wheel+bearing I actually used the search function to find that :wink: ) but when I put on my winter wheels I was jacking the drivers side up, and it made the same exact noise as when Im driving down the road and it does it. I had my dad hold the spring when I jacked the car up and let it down, and he said it was moving, how much I dont know. The passengers side does not do this at all. When I as jacking it up, it seemed like the spring, the strut, the wheel, where all moving with the noise, (if you can picture like a weird bonk, bonk, bonk noise thats fairly quick as the car is being jacked up)

It doesnt make any noise going down the road when the road is either 1) straight or 2) doesnt have any bumps. The most common time it makes the noise in during the corners, left or right, it doesnt seem to matter. What else makes me think it could be like a spring or strut or something is when I put the front STB bar on, it doesnt make the noise as much as it did before without it. When my dad had the new struts put in, he went to the dealer to have this done (please dont make any comments about omg is he stupid whyd he go to the dealer) and they just removed the old ones and put new ones in. So could it be possible that they might have done something? I just started driving when this was done, so I couldnt tell you if it made that noise before the new struts were put in.

I know is kinda long, so if youve got to this point, Thanks :lol: Anyone have any type of imput or anything that I might be able to look for.

But thats the thing. How could it be a bad strut? The struts are maybe 2yrs old and there basically the factory struts, like what the car came with. I duno I guess it could be possible. But pwmin, you said you had maybe something similair and replacing the strut didnt help. Is it possible that the spring just might be out of place by a little bit?

On the rear, the noise would most likely be spring bushings (or lack thereof).

I have never heard of spring bushings going bad on the front, but I suppose it's possible. I don't know how it could be out of place, they fit tightly into bushings and don't have much room at all for movement. A bushing would have to be bad or worn for them to move.

When struts go bad, they make noise when the shaft moves. On my car, one of the rear struts made a rattley crunchy sound.

Nah, not necessarily. The bouncing is caused by a worn out strut that has worn down from normal wear and tear. Just like anything else, there are other ways a strut can go bad.

Come to think of it, noise can also come from control arm bushings or even loose tierods. A bad bushing on a sway bar could make noise too. You might try closely examining all the rubber parts and see if they all look okay.