major 1996 gtp problem

231gtpguy

I'm pissed I didn't get to see the banana hanging out of the persons ass!!

NWS

This shit is bananas, b-a-n-a-n-a-s :lol:

According to that name of that .gif, it's b-a-n-a-n-u-s :lol:

WHY GOD, WHY ?! :lol:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lakefxgp96

• Cam'ron

• sl3196

• fastbird232

found one!

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=190952352&dealer_id=57059954&car_year=1994&model=GP&bkms=1131680688918&lang=en&isp=y&start_year=1994&certified=&search_type=both&distance=300&make=PONT&min_price=&address=49001&advanced=&end_year=1996&max_price=&cardist=300

EDIT: now that i have had a close look at it, it appears to be a de-badge GTP that is posted as an SE, but not too sure. Im not convinced im right anymore. I think it was just the 'special edition' with a GTP package i am thinking of.

Its a GTP with the Special Edition badges. I know people said such SE;'s exist, but i have a hard time beleiving that.

What is this one then?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-Pontiac-Grand-Prix-LOW-MILES-many-new-parts_W0QQitemZ4587925334QQcategoryZ6422QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Guest Anonymous

I'm telling you, I don't think 94-6 SE's with a 3.4 exist. What set the GTP apart in those days was the 3.4, just like only GT sedans got the 3.4 in 94-6. SE was the 3.1, GTP/GT was the 3.4.

I'm telling you, I don't think 94-6 SE's with a 3.4 exist. What set the GTP apart in those days was the 3.4, just like only GT sedans got the 3.4 in 94-6. SE was the 3.1, GTP/GT was the 3.4.

Pretty sure I've seen 94-96 SE/3.4 cars. I have definitely seen non-GTP special edition cars with the 3.4's in them. There's a special edition here that has hood louvers and all(the hood on it is stock, my parents know the woman that owns it, I don't remember if she ordered the car or just bought it off a lot though). "pwmin" on the board has a 3.4/special edition car also...

Guest Anonymous
Pretty sure I've seen 94-96 SE/3.4 cars. I have definitely seen non-GTP special edition cars with the 3.4's in them. There's a special edition here that has hood louvers and all(the hood on it is stock, my parents know the woman that owns it, I don't remember if she ordered the car or just bought it off a lot though). "pwmin" on the board has a 3.4/special edition car also...

Don't confuse the 93 Special Editions with the 94+... they look very similar. Some of those came with the 3.4.

PWMIN's car is a GTP (IIRC) and if the car you've seen had louvres, it obviously was a GTP. Some of the special edition cars are easy to mistake becuase they lack the giant GTP badges, but are still actually GTP's. The Special Edition badges were available on both SE and GTP.

I don't want to come off as "abrasive" but i have a very hard time beleiving that 94-6 SE's came with the 3.4. I'm pretty sure i read some thing from GM that the SE was specifically the 3.1 and the GTP was specifically the 3.4 in 94-6.

Don't confuse the 93 Special Editions with the 94+... they look very similar. Some of those came with the 3.4.

PWMIN's car is a GTP (IIRC) and if the car you've seen had louvres, it obviously was a GTP. Some of the special edition cars are easy to mistake becuase they lack the giant GTP badges, but are still actually GTP's. The Special Edition badges were available on both SE and GTP.

I don't want to come off as "abrasive" but i have a very hard time beleiving that 94-6 SE's came with the 3.4. I'm pretty sure i read some thing from GM that the SE was specifically the 3.1 and the GTP was specifically the 3.4 in 94-6.

No way in hell that I would mistake a 93 for a 94+ car....the difference is pretty obvious there. This car I mentioned only has special edition badging on it whereas I've seen others that have a GTP badge on them along with the special edition badging(94-96 cars)....

Guest Anonymous

GTP's never got the GTP badge and the Special Edition decals together... it was one or the other. The Special edition decals mean nothing, don't even pay attention to them. They are just a (typically) dealer installed option. What matters are the hood louvres. But like i said, both SE and GTP could get decals.

We've all heard the rumors of the illustrious 94-6 3.4 SE, but there has never been any physical/visual proof of such a vehicle... anyone got and pics/links of one? Did a member on here have one?

Even Im going to have to agree with that. All of the so-called SE's 94-96 that i've been thinking of or have been seeing are just re-badged GTP's. Some people might think that they have an SE with the GTP package and post it that way, its the same thing: GTP package = GTP from 94-96 regardless of badging. The hood louvers exist on every one i have ever seen for 94-96 if the 3.4 is installed.

I could spot the fender badge from across the parking lot. That, along with the dual exhaust and exhaust note as he/she was pulling in.

EDIT: You know, I love threads like this. I like hearing about the history of these Grand Prixs, what suspensions they have for different levels, different packages that came with different powertrains/options, all that shit. Should probably get all this info together in one spot (Ross seems to know a lot about GTPs/RPEs).

Guest Anonymous
I could spot the fender badge from across the parking lot. That, along with the dual exhaust and exhaust note as he/she was pulling in.

It could be. If such was the case, its quite rare. do you see it often? If so get pics. I don't want to tell you that you didn't notice the louvres, but that could so. Also, 3.1 cars got dual exhaust as well with the B4U. I'm not sure if 3.1's came with some sort of fender badge, but i doubt it.

3100 cars didn't have a fender badge from what I have seen. ONly the 3.4 cars.

Also, I tried to read this thread all the way through, but might be saying things twice.

Reading the VIN on a car you can tell the trim level. The 5th digit of the VIN is the trim level. This would be the letter after the 4th which would be "W."

I'll look up the trim codes on Alldata tommorow for a 95 or 96 W they might be different than the 1990 sheet I have printed out, but maybe not.

Example:

My TSTE VIN states: "WT" indicating Grand Prix STE. According to the VIN breakdown I have from 1990, a GP SE would be "WP" and a GP LE would be a "WJ"

I'll have to look at 95-96 tommorow.

It could be. If such was the case, its quite rare. do you see it often? If so get pics. I don't want to tell you that you didn't notice the louvres, but that could so. Also, 3.1 cars got dual exhaust as well with the B4U. I'm not sure if 3.1's came with some sort of fender badge, but i doubt it.

Well, I know there weren't any louvers, but I did see the fender badges, which is exactly why it caught my eye and I remember it three days later. I'll keep my eye peeled.

...we should merge this thread with the obscure facts one...

they have made SEs with 3.4s they are rare it was something you could order from the dealer... there are requirements that make a GTP a GTP but all of those were orderable on the SEs as well... if the customer wanted to spend more money and not buy whats on the lot they could have any of them...

W Trim options by 4th and 5th VIN codes:

WH- Grand Prix LE

WJ- Grand Prix SE

WP- Grand Prix GT/GTP

WT- Grand Prix STE

1994-1995 (Were the same for both years)

WJ- Grand Prix SE

only one trim option listed for 94-95 :?

WJ- Grand Prix SE

WM- Grand Prix

Just for kicks:

WJ- Grand Prix SE

WP- Grand Prix GT

GTP not listed

WJ- Grand Prix SE

WP- Grand Prix GT

WR- Grand Prix GTP

they have made SEs with 3.4s they are rare it was something you could order from the dealer... there are requirements that make a GTP a GTP but all of those were orderable on the SEs as well... if the customer wanted to spend more money and not buy whats on the lot they could have any of them...

Odd that the only difference is two non-functional hood vents. At least on the '97+ models, "GTP" actually meant something... :roll: