major 1996 gtp problem

231gtpguy

Guest Anonymous

This thread is one of the most hopeless and ridiculus i've seen in a while. We've got 1996 "Grand Am" GTP's coming with a 3.8 T/C, 91-6 GTP's never getting the DOHC, and asians launching things from thier ass.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lakefxgp96

• Cam'ron

• sl3196

• fastbird232

lol :lol: and some dood in a monte carlo that doesnt know what engines come in a pontiac but feels the need to respond to a post from a guy with said bananas being launched from the ass

Obvious things that you absolutely must have to qaulify to have a 1996 GTP:

2 Door

B4U Ground FX package (flares over the fenders, round foglights, cutout around the exhaust tips.

3.4 DOHC engine, with an X as the 8th digit on your VIN.

Absolute deciding factor: Hood Louvers, 2 vents on the side of your hood.

Any other option you have will not necessarily mean it is as GTP, leather seats, a particular rim, none of that will matter.

Here is a prime example i googled:

mycar.jpg

Now my car looks almost identical and is Not a GTP, it is an SE. An SE can come with a 3.4 DOHC, but will not have hood louvers, it is missing the hood louvers, and originally was equipped with a 3100. If you have anyting that says 'special edition' on it, it makes no difference, that is just the dealer trying to sell more cars by rebadging. Dont feel ashamed, when I bought this car in 2001 i was convinced that anything with a GTP badge is supercharged, it just simply isnt true. Only 97-05 Grand Prix GTP's are supercharged. 91-96 is the 3.4 DOHC.

One thing to feel good about though is that you have one of the best performing and most reliable of all of the years for that motor, 215 HP and lots of RPMs to play with.

Yeah, pre-'97 GTPs only have 1 badge, on the trunk. The "24 VALVE V6" ones on the fenders are a giveaway, though.

3.4 SE's have those too

Oh yeah, duh. Well, the fender badges PLUS the hood louvers equals GTP.

Off topic question, but did regular SE coupes get the FE3 suspension, too?

the pre 97 GTPs look great, handle great, get good gas mileage... and are pretty quick. Theres not too much aftermarket for the LQ1, as compared to the L67... but I feel that the 3.4 has much more potential than the 3.8. Or maybe I just tell myself that to justify spending so much on making my car perfect.

I'm pretty sure that all 3.4s came with the FE3 suspension package.

GTP was a package that was added to the SE model in the later years. All 96 GTPs are SE's with the GTP package.

94-96 GTPs had the 3.4DOHC in them as was said before the only stock turbo'd GP was the TGP 89 - 90 and the 97+ were 3.8 supercharged.... so whats wrong with the car....? ive never seen one with the badges on the side of the car unless its a 97+ mine says it on the rear as do all others ive seen...

Yes, as well as Y99 Handling.

So the GTP is more of an appearance package than a really different car than the SE? How common are 3.4L SEs?

Yes, as well as Y99 Handling.

So the GTP is more of an appearance package than a really different car than the SE? How common are 3.4L SEs?

Id say there are a few more GTPs than 3.4 SEs. It made more sense to get the 'GTP package' than to trick out an SE with more options, except for insurance cost!

Guest Anonymous

the GTP in 91-96 Is quite ambigious, especially within 91--93. In those years, you could get an SE with the 3.4, B4U, 5-speed, and LOADED to the max (leather, CD, AQ9's, etc) , kinda similar to how my car came- except the hood vents. Its almost like the only thing the GTP could have over the SE was the hood vents. However, SE's optioned this way were quite uncommon, and most GTP's were loaded and SE's relativly base. But loaded 3.4 SE's minus hood vents do exist.

It seems like you could add whatever you wanted to an SE starting from completely base to the point of loaded, and the GTP just came loaded (leather CD, sunroof being the only options).

94-96 was slightly different. I think SE stricly meant 3.1 and GTP strickly meant 3.4. I've never seen/heard of a 94-6 SE with a factory 3.4. Both trim levels could come stripped or loaded then, wheras the 91-3 GTP came "loaded" as a rule.

However, i've always seen 91-3 (and 94-6) GTP's with all 3 GTP badges.

94-96 was slightly different. I think SE stricly meant 3.1 and GTP strickly meant 3.4. I've never seen/heard of a 94-6 SE with a factory 3.4. Both trim levels could come stripped or loaded then, wheras the 91-3 GTP came "loaded" as a rule.

They do exist. I can't think of a member on any particular board that has one but they to exist. Everything you said about the 91-93 is exactly the same about the 94-96. In addtion there is a 'special edition' which for the most part is a dealer option, often if the car was white, you would also get white 5 spokes, black cars got gold crosslaces. 3100 or 3.4 was an option on both the SE and special edition. The thing with the 94-96 is that the 3.4 started to lose ground and wasnt installed in nearly as many cars, less GTPs, less 3.4 SEs.

They do exist. I can't think of a member on any particular board that has one but they to exist. Everything you said about the 91-93 is exactly the same about the 94-96. In addtion there is a 'special edition' which for the most part is a dealer option, often if the car was white, you would also get white 5 spokes, black cars got gold crosslaces. 3100 or 3.4 was an option on both the SE and special edition. The thing with the 94-96 is that the 3.4 started to lose ground and wasnt installed in nearly as many cars, less GTPs, less 3.4 SEs.

found one!

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=190952352&dealer_id=57059954&car_year=1994&model=GP&bkms=1131680688918&lang=en&isp=y&start_year=1994&certified=&search_type=both&distance=300&make=PONT&min_price=&address=49001&advanced=&end_year=1996&max_price=&cardist=300

EDIT: now that i have had a close look at it, it appears to be a de-badge GTP that is posted as an SE, but not too sure. Im not convinced im right anymore. I think it was just the 'special edition' with a GTP package i am thinking of.

Guest Anonymous

Holy Double Post! :lol:

I had heard rumors about 94-6 SE's with a 3.4, but if such exists, they are EXTREMELY rare. 91-3 SE's with a 3.4 are relativly common, i've seen quite a few of them, but never the 94-6.

The Special Edition was also available in 93, however that was not a dealer thing. The were more of a "Gold Apperance" package and badged as a Special Edition. They came with metallic green paint, gold crosslaces, the gold stickers, and the tan interior. They were all a B4U SE, some came with a 3.4, very few had options. Similarly is my car in 92, the highlight being the blue wheels and the documentation. I think the 94-6 Special Edition is more watered down, and restricted to the badges. The wheels weren't a given. I've seen red, blue, and green Special Editions with plain jane crosslaces or regular 5-spokes.

Guest Anonymous
found one!

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=190952352&dealer_id=57059954&car_year=1994&model=GP&bkms=1131680688918&lang=en&isp=y&start_year=1994&certified=&search_type=both&distance=300&make=PONT&min_price=&address=49001&advanced=&end_year=1996&max_price=&cardist=300

EDIT: now that i have had a close look at it, it appears to be a de-badge GTP that is posted as an SE, but not too sure. Im not convinced im right anymore. I think it was just the 'special edition' with a GTP package i am thinking of.

Its a GTP with the Special Edition badges. I know people said such SE;'s exist, but i have a hard time beleiving that.