Steps to replace a starter?

Kalgorn

It finally died. Car left me stranded at school. Thankfully I have road service and got it towed to my apartment. My definite guess is starter now. Turned the key, nothing at all. Lights come on but not even an attempt at cranking. So now I have to call out on work tomorrow morning and replace a starter so I can hopefully get to school at 1pm. My Haynes manual isn't the greatest help for removing the starter. It doesn't really tell where it is. Says it's under the engine next to the transmission bellhousing. I have yet to get under to look.

So how do I go about replacing this thing?

Any special tools I'm going to need?

Right now I'm just working on finding a ride over to AutoZone to get the part.

DISCONNECT THE BATTERY first! then its pretty much as simple as taking it out and replacing it, what you have to remember is what eyelets go where on the starter studs, if it is your first time you may want to tape them together so you don't mix them up. It's a straight forward job, lets just hope you don't have to shim it at all. I never have had to shim it and replaced many starters. If you have any mechanical ability it should be easy for you to get it done. Later Jay

Well do I have to remove anything to get to the starter? My Haynes manual says something about removing the flywheel inspection cover or something. I've never replaced a starter but I have basic mechanical abilities so I should be able to do it if I can find it.

Are you sure its the starter? Does the solenoid click? I had a corroded connection at my Park-neutral switch on top of my tranny that caused a no-start condition.

No I'm not entirely sure it's the starter. Would the solenoid click over and over again if you held the key in the on position trying to start it? Mine does absolutely nothing right now. It makes a single click and just sits there.

I picked up the starter so I'm going to work on it tomorrow. I was wondering if it was the park-neutral switch but I don't think it is because that wouldn't cause the car to crank a few times until it finally fires up (which was my problem for the past week).

If is the neutral safety switch, you will not hear the solenoid click at all, because the signal does not reach the solenoid for the starter. If the starter just clicks, its most likely the brushes that are shot in starter motor. If you are really desperate to get it started, than you can always hit the starter with someting (Hammer works good) a couple times and it should start right up.

Well my car does absolutely nothing right now when I turn the key. All the lights and gauges and stuff come on but that's it. No attempt at starting. A friend of mine said he thinks it's the starter solenoid because he had the same problem in his old van.

Sometimes a whack on the starter will get it to turn over. There are these carbon brushes in there that hang up when starters get old. A whack allows them to come down and make contact completing the circuit.

Hitting the solenoid will do nothing most of the time.

If you must change the starter, you will first have to drop down the oil cooler (if your Z has one) some 3.4s do and some don't. That is the thingy that your oil filter screws into. If there's two hoses coming off the base to the block, you have one. It's simple to do if you have a large enough socket to get on the bolt that the filter screws onto. When you re-mount it after putting in the new starter, lay a fine coating of RTV sealer around the base where it meets the block to ensure a leak-free connection.

After you drop the cooler assembly off, just undo the electrical connections and the two mounting bolts and you can maneuver the starter out around the A/C lines.

Good luck!

So do I have to take the filter off to remove the oil cooler? This seems kind of ridiculous if I have to drain my oil to replace my starter...

Well I went out and got under my car, found the starter, and now I sit here angry because I need a set of box wrenches to get the connectors off. I don't have box wrenches. So now I'm trying to get my roommate to wake up to take me to AutoZone to pick up a set... this is ridiculous. I can't use a socket because there's a large hose in my way. I'm also trying to figure out how I'm supposed to get to the second bolt holding the starter on... :roll:

Okay so I got the connectors off and the rear bolt under the flywheel inspection cover, but this front bolt is being a little bitch. I can get a longneck socket on it with a wrench but I brarely have any room to move the wrench. I tried hitting it with a hammer and the fucking bolt will not budge. How do you guys recommend getting this off? Or what have you guys that changed a starter used?

Okay I am so FUCKING pissed off right now. I've been working on this thing since 8 AM and I still haven't gotten the starter out. I got all the connectors off and both bolts are removed but THE GODDAMN THING WILL NOT COME OUT!!

How the FUCK do I get this thing out??? All it does is move around... I can't get it out from the bottom of top. It won't slip out of the spot that it sits. It won't get past the crossmember. It looks like the oil filter is in the way. Why in the hell would I have to drain my pan and remove my oil filter JUST to change the starter? For fucks sake... this is just such bullshit right now. I'm so fucking heated. :bash:

Fuck it... I'm going out and taking my filter off.

Okay I am so FUCKING pissed off right now. I've been working on this thing since 8 AM and I still haven't gotten the starter out. I got all the connectors off and both bolts are removed but THE GODDAMN THING WILL NOT COME OUT!!

How the FUCK do I get this thing out??? All it does is move around... I can't get it out from the bottom of top. It won't slip out of the spot that it sits. It won't get past the crossmember. It looks like the oil filter is in the way. Why in the hell would I have to drain my pan and remove my oil filter JUST to change the starter? For fucks sake... this is just such bullshit right now. I'm so fucking heated. :bash:

Fuck it... I'm going out and taking my filter off.

Alright man you need to chill, it sounds like you have an oil cooler.

What you need to do is take the filter off, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO DRAIN THE OIL!

You will see the spot where the filter threads onto and then there is a 6-point on the base of it. You need a 25 or 27mm? socket and take it off, after that long tube comes off the oil cooler swings out the way. You shouldn't have to remove the hoses to get the starter out, and you should be set.

Ohh and I've never had to shim any of these cars, ever.

I would recommend getting a newer starter (the smallest I could find was from a '99 Malibu with a 3100) They are so much smaller and are higher torque. The size and the wieght difference allow it to make it easier to get back up there.

I hope this is helpful, otherwise PM me and I'll give you my cell phone number.

Ohh, and I'm sure its the starter mine did the same thing on me except I was in close to 1000 miles away! I drove from Des Moines, IA to Mishawaka, In leaving the car running because otherwise I would have to wait a half hour for it to turn back over!

Tony

Well it's finally done...

I took the filter off and forced the starter out. Got it done just in time too... started storming (thunder & lightning). I don't know if I have an oil cooler or not... guessing I do but I got the starter out without removing the cooler if I have one. I don't think I had a socket big enough either.

Sorry that I flipped out I guess. I was just so pissed off because I had planned on seeing my girlfriend tonight and I couldn't miss another day of work and school.

I wish I would have gotten a newer starter but I already picked up an OEM one last night.

Thanks for the help everyone. I usually have my dad to assist me in things like this but I didn't have a choice this time.