'97 GTP Woes. Fuel, spark? WTF!

digitaloutsider

My buddy's '97 GTP is having one hell of a problem that I THINK we've narrowed down to the fuel pump. At WOT, the car shudders and bucks some, and in no way has a good powerband. Originally, we thought it was the fuel filter, so we replaced that. It improved the situation SLIGHTLY, but still no dice. Next came the O2 sensor. We figured MAYBE it had something to do with it. 130k old O2 sensors are never good. Nothing. Finally, I noticed that the supercharger belt was incredibly loose, so a late-night trip to AutoZone got us a nice new Gatorback belt of the perfect size. No slippage, nothing. This did improve the symptoms some, but again.. it's not near as good as it should be.

So to recap:

Symptoms: Poor acceleration, mediocre fuel economy, buck/studder at WOT.

Replaced: Fuel filter, spark plugs, O2 sensor, supercharger belt.

I'm seriously leaning towards the fuel pump. Anyone have any other ideas?

Yep, it's time for a Walbro... Just get it done right and throw a new fuel filter, check for kinked fuel lines( when you jack up the car, the jack can actually damage them)- check those first.

IIRC, the 97's had a "variable speed" fuel pump, which had some sort of resistor to choke down the voltage (and speed) of the pump during normal driving, while it operated full bore at WOT. I don't know the specifics, as I've only heard people complain about it, so I can't offer any real help with the remedy...

IIRC, the 97's had a "variable speed" fuel pump, which had some sort of resistor to choke down the voltage (and speed) of the pump during normal driving, while it operated full bore at WOT. I don't know the specifics, as I've only heard people complain about it, so I can't offer any real help with the remedy...

I found this about the resistor on clubgp for what it's worth.

http://www.clubgp.com/cgi-asp/mods.asp?modid=9

When I first noticed the problem an SES light came on like a day later.. I scanned it and it said "No activity on Oxygen sensor Bank 1 sensor 2." The light would be on a day, and then the next day it would go off..

Thats the only time I've seen an SES light come on.