powersteering pump/variable assist

jeffrs73

hey there... well the power steering pump started whining like a mother last week on my 95 cutty vert... i went to the parts store and they didn't have a power steering pump with the variable assist, is the variable assist valve something you can remove easily from the old pump and put on the new one? also the car has abs and traction control... is there anything i should be wary of before going in there and mucking around?

thanks, Jeff

i would just suck the fluid out and replace it with bg power steering conditioner and see if it fixes it. iirc, there will be a spring in there you will have to watch out for. it's not hard, you gotta be careful taking it apart and putting it back together. dont specifically know if you can change out what youre asking though

Fluid exchange will not fix a whine.

uh, yes it can. if you add the stuff i said; it's not just a fluid change. i will say that it doesnt always work, just depends on why its whining. it's worth a try instead of the hastle.

uh, yes it can. if you add the stuff i said; it's not just a fluid change. i will say that it doesnt always work, just depends on why its whining. it's worth a try instead of the hastle.

stupid.gif

no, fluid exchange probably will not fix the whine. i didnt say that. what i mentioned was not just a fluid change. geesh. i've done it before (and it works sometimes). depends on the problem. i'm done. you can reply, but i dont want to get into an argument about this.

pretty sure its part of the pump... gonna go pick one up this weekend and attempt to add the valve, will let yall know how it turns out.... for something this simple id normally take it to a shop, but i just got her running right and im afraid of leaving her in someone elses hands just yet :P

They had ABS, which is primitive "traction control".

Completely different idea although they are more combined now days than ever.

ABS has to do with keeping the brakes from locking while applied in slippery conditions

Traction Control keeps the tires from spinning out of control when the gas is applied.

Brake Traction control is pretty new, which pulses the brake calipers on the corners where the wheels are powered to equalize the differential.

Most if not all Gen II w's have Engine Traction control, which retards ignition timing, and/or drops cylinders to decrease engine power output.

Anyways...brake traction control is SWEET, you have no idea!

• 3 weeks later...