Brand new 94+ rotors on '91?

CutlassSL91

OK, this may be a really stupid question, but would i be able to order brand new aftermarket rotors/calipers for a 94+ W-car and still have it work with the upgrade procedure the same? Thanks

(I just feel better with new, this car desperatly needs the stopping power.

i would advise you buy new calipers and rotors, anyway. and, yes, it will work. you will need to get the brackets, like was said. to get the park brake to work isnt hard. i have done it to two of my friends' w's. if you take out the rear holding screw and sometimes the one in front of the gas tank, the right side will work and the left side reaches without it. you have to use about a 1/2" spacer and a longer bolt on the one side and bend the bracket on the other. (cant remember for sure which side though since i dont have them in front of me). or you can buy the right cables and replace the old ones so you dont have to ghetto rig it. it's not really ghetto, though, since the bolt has never come loose or anything happened.

i think it makes a huge difference. I drive a 97 cutlass supreme and my 91 culass supreme. The difference is rediculous. I wouldn't even worry about dealing with the rear brakes because the front brakes do most of the stopping. Then again that is just an opinion coming from someone who wants to do the brake swap, not someone who has done it.

i think it makes a huge difference. I drive a 97 cutlass supreme and my 91 culass supreme. The difference is rediculous. I wouldn't even worry about dealing with the rear brakes because the front brakes do most of the stopping. Then again that is just an opinion coming from someone who wants to do the brake swap, not someone who has done it.

On top of having bigger front and rear brakes, your '97 also has a much better master cylinder..

I wouldn't even worry about dealing with the rear brakes because the front brakes do most of the stopping. Then again that is just an opinion coming from someone who wants to do the brake swap, not someone who has done it.
I would do the swap simply because the 94-96 rears don't sieze up constantly like the 88-93's do. Also, the newer style calipers are self-adjusting (you don't need to pump the e-brake before you drive off) and it's easy as all hell to do a pad change...

• 1 month later...

The new style is better! When i put new calipers on my dead 91 lumina they held when released but always produced friction against the rotors. The new style ones (bought used) when released, completely released the rotors and allowed them when spun to "freewheel"

This phenominum has to do with how far the calipers recede into the pistons when the brakes are relaeased...

Additionally, Since the old ones are always dragging they are always hot and we all know an overheated brakes perform poor. Those calipers have boiled my brake fluid before. 0 ken

advocate for the 94+ rear brake conversion

Hope you replaced your fluid

Since the old ones are always dragging they are always hot and we all know an overheated brakes perform poor. Those calipers have boiled my brake fluid before. 0 ken

advocate for the 94+ rear brake conversion

Yeah, when i ripped the MFers off and did my upgrade.

I'm not sure what to call the difference, but automakers redesigned many calipers so that the brake pad would pull farther away from the rotor avoiding instances of drag in order to make cars get better mileage (ie every corner they could cut)