Window Tint - FINISHED, check out the pics!

nebojsa_o

put the tape on the inside. yeah, dont push hard. it doesnt work great but it's better than nothing for temp. i'm sure they'll be able to do it. i think they drill a hole and fill it with something to help it stop spread. i had a crooked 100mm crack in my blazer w/s and they fixed it and its been a year and hasnt spread.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nebojsa_o

• cutty

• supreme_style21

• Prospeeder

Well the crack can be felt with the nail from the outside, but not from the inside. So it doesn't go all the way through, should I still apply it from the inside?? I doubt it will spread any more in 2 days, but just to be sure, I'll tape it up. Thanks for the advice fellas. I'm pretty excited about the tint finally, only sleep 2 more times, :lol: . However I'm still not 100% sure what % tint I want. But I'll make up my mind on Wednesday morning for sure, and I'll have pics to show you guys as soon as I'm off work. :D

Well the crack can be felt with the nail from the outside, but not from the inside. So it doesn't go all the way through, should I still apply it from the inside?? I doubt it will spread any more in 2 days, but just to be sure, I'll tape it up. Thanks for the advice fellas. I'm pretty excited about the tint finally, only sleep 2 more times, :lol: . However I'm still not 100% sure what % tint I want. But I'll make up my mind on Wednesday morning for sure, and I'll have pics to show you guys as soon as I'm off work. :D

there is a 'plastic' layer between the glass in the windshield, so it can quite easily spread on the outside and leave the inside smooth. That layer keeps the windshield from exploding into the interior when it shatters.

All other glass will explode though, so its kinda half-assing the job.

Oh I see. So just tape on the inside will help?? I don't understand how it works, but I guess it does, anyways I taped up the inside, and didn't touch the outside. It's almost 8am, I gotta get going soon, and there is frost on the windows, I'll know if it cracked again in a few minutes, lol.

So today I dropped off the car, and the guy told me to call him at 2:30 it should be done. I called him, and he says "I couldn't get her tinted" I was like WTF? He says he tried one-piecing it, and he ends up with air bubbles near the bottom, where it curves all wierd. This is the second car he couldn't do, the first was a Berreta with a similar window. So I took the car and went to the next place. I say BOYD's couldn't do it, and he says, Camaro, or Cutlass?? I say Cutlass, he says "fuck". His wife had a '94 4dr. and he said he couldn't do it, even in 2 pieces it would be hard as hell, and cost me. So I go to the most expnesive/popular place in town I know that does this stuff, and I say I wanna tint my windows. He comes to me, and looks out the window, and says "shit" At this point I'm losing it, and I'm laughing like I'm almost happy. So he says those are the hardest cars to do as far as he knows. Showed me a website "www.tintdude.com" where a bunch of tinters talk, and it's a PITA appearently. He says, his boss worked for 23 years, and only had to do one of those, and he did it in 2 pieces, and it was OK, but could have been better. He says if it's OK with me, he'd love to try it in one piece and if it doesn't work, he'll do it for me in 2 pieces, like a Berreta he did a couple months ago. So I said alright have fun with it, and do whatever you can. The car is going to this guy at 8AM in 2 days. I'm so pissed and dissapointed now, that the best I can hope for is a decent looking 2 piece. Oh and BTW I decided on 5%. I saw a 20% in person at the shop, and it's a little bright, so I said screw it and 5% it is. Any comments? Are these guys just not able, or is it really a hard window to do? I'm considering driving into that ditch again, lol, j/k. :bash: But seriously I'm very dissapointed... :cry: :cry:

well from what i heard the rear window has 3 different curves to it, and when i had mine done, they had to cut each piece of tint to fit in between the defroster lines. since the guy that did mine said if he covered up the defroster lines that my rear defroster wouldnt work. i dunno but only if you look close up can you tell their are individual pieces.

I'd be happy if I can even get that. I got tomorrow off, and I'm going there, and I'll tell the guy to do anything he has to to get it done. 3 piece is more than I wanted, but if it has to be done, do it... I just can't believe it, even if I want to spend money, something has to be wrong. :lol:

I'd be happy if I can even get that. I got tomorrow off, and I'm going there, and I'll tell the guy to do anything he has to to get it done. 3 piece is more than I wanted, but if it has to be done, do it... I just can't believe it, even if I want to spend money, something has to be wrong. :lol:

well dont feel bad mine is in like 10 or so pieces. however many spaces their are in between each defroster line.

Maybe, see I didn't even ask this guy what kind of warranty there is on bubbling, or stuff like that. I wasn't thinking clearly anymore. Hopefully on Friday after work I have some good news.

Maybe, see I didn't even ask this guy what kind of warranty there is on bubbling, or stuff like that. I wasn't thinking clearly anymore. Hopefully on Friday after work I have some good news.

it should be a lifetime warranty

Any GOOD shop should be able to promise a ONE PIECE rear window. Along with a lifetime warranty. Anything short of that would make me walk away.

have u ever looked at the rear window of a cutty?! :shock:

Any GOOD shop should be able to promise a ONE PIECE rear window. Along with a lifetime warranty. Anything short of that would make me walk away.

yeah it has 3 different curves in it! :willynilly:

No shit.... Have you ever looked at one?? It's pretty wicked looking, and even if I did walk away, I got no where to walk away to... I'd like a one piece, but these guys are probably the best, well as far as I know, around here, and I'll see what they can do. This younger guy said he'll try to do a one piece, to see if he's up to the challenge, but he says he might not be able to do it..

yeah.

I have.

I've owned Cutlass Supreme's before. I've tried to tint the windows of Cutlass Supreme's before.

And I know of shops that do them in ONE piece.

Its something I'd never try again, but with experience and knowledge, its supposedly FAIRLY simple to do. I've seen it done. The shops here PROMISE that its done in on piece and guaranteed for life.

No shit.... Have you ever looked at one?? It's pretty wicked looking, and even if I did walk away, I got no where to walk away to... I'd like a one piece, but these guys are probably the best, well as far as I know, around here, and I'll see what they can do. This younger guy said he'll try to do a one piece, to see if he's up to the challenge, but he says he might not be able to do it..

then do it in three pieces. I know what a Cutlass window looks like. I've owned more than one of the damn things. fuck. I didn't say you had to do it in one. Like I said before, it can be done in one by the EXPERIENCED. Anything else is up to you.

I have 15% al around and love it! You can do a LOT more things in the car at night and not get seen 8)

That must be why my CURRENT car hasn't seen much action. My 88 had a little! :lol:

BTW do you have some more pics of your car w/ the 15% tint? I'm still trying to decide what I want to get next year.

then do it in three pieces. I know what a Cutlass window looks like. I've owned more than one of the damn things. fuck. I didn't say you had to do it in one. Like I said before, it can be done in one by the EXPERIENCED. Anything else is up to you.

:werd: An experienced tinter can definitely do a Cutlass 4dr in 1-piece, no problem.

Not to mention I would be leery of anyone that discourages rear defroster use. The guy that did my tint used Solargard tint and he actually encouraged using the rear defroster to speed up drying time. Anyone who discourages using the defroster probably uses some really low-grade, low quality tint.

I have 15% al around and love it! You can do a LOT more things in the car at night and not get seen 8)

That must be why my CURRENT car hasn't seen much action. My 88 had a little! :lol:

BTW do you have some more pics of your car w/ the 15% tint? I'm still trying to decide what I want to get next year.

Just the pics I have in my thread in the appearance section. I'd recommend 15% to anyone if you can get away with it!