Window Tint - FINISHED, check out the pics!

nebojsa_o

TINT pictures here: http://www.w-body.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=415813#415813

Hey guys, so I finally made up my mind (partially) and am gonna get my back windows tinted. This upcoming wednesday, so in 5 days. Without even thinking much I figured I'd get Limo tint, pretty damn dark, almost not visible when looking inside. But then I got thinking, how dark is too dark?? Would limo tint be too dark to see out of, especially at night, when I do most of my driving? Or do you think limo tint would still be normal and easy to see out of? Tell me what you think, and if possible that someone could post a picture of limo tint from inside the car looking out, just so I can see how dark it is compared to the non-tinted windows. I don't have money to change my mind in 2 months, and get it changed, so I need help to figure out how dark do I want it. Help!!!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nebojsa_o

• cutty

• supreme_style21

• Prospeeder

There is no law here for the back ones, the front ones we can't touch even a little bit, but the back ones, as dark as we want. I'm asking on how dark is too dark, for drivability, and visibility from the drivers seat. Is limo tint very hard to see out of? Or do you get used to it quick, or is it not bad at all...

Does anyone have any problems seeing out of their car with a dark tint?? Or am I just panicing, and worrying too much?? In daylight, I'm not very worried, but at night, does it cut down visibility quite a bit??

My car is Dark Teal Metallic. It's a pretty dark green looking color. And from some angles it almost looks black when the light is low, I think it would work good with a dark tint, but I'm unsure how dark I want to go. I don't want it to look cool, but be useles, because I can't see out the back...

I had 20% on my last car, which I found was good at night. I wouldn't want to go a whole lot darker than that. Although I am planning 20%front/15%rear in the spring, 15% since I don't really do that much night driving anymore...

Do a search on cardomain or something for cars with 20, 15% tint and see how they look for your preference. I personally think it will look stupid on a 4-door unless you have SOME sort of tint on the front doors, even 35%.

Well I don't think it would look stupid on a 4 door, I like what cuttys looks like. I do agree it would look better with some tint in the front, but there really isn't much I can do about that, it's 100% illegal here. I'll see if I can see some samples before I get it tinted, just so I get an idea.... Thanks for the help guys, once the tint is done, I'll start a topic in the Members Rides section, and you can check it out.

i think ur tint looks really akward cutty, pich black on the back windows, then suddenly gold fish bowl clear up front, it looks really strange, even like 35% up front would balence it out

i think ur tint looks really akward cutty, pich black on the back windows, then suddenly gold fish bowl clear up front, it looks really strange, even like 35% up front would balence it out

well maybe if i had the money to get them re-tinted i would, but being recently married, and a kid on the way its not going to get done for awhile. but they used to be tinted, and they have a slight tint on the factory windows. so its good enough for me.

So far, I'm leaning towards the 15% or 20% idea... It would look less akward because the front ones are not gonna be tinted, and easier to see out of at night. I even asked at the place where I'm getting it tinted if he could do just a light tint of the front ones, and he said by law they can't touch them. How easy/hard would the drivers window and passanger windows be to tint myself?? They aren't as complicated as the back window, so maybe that's something I'll try sometime.

I think he means 5% on all windows except for windshield.

35% is way too light. I have 20% all the way around on the 94 Cutlass (click link in sig if you want to see). It takes a couple days to get used to at night, but once you're used to it, it feels like there's no tint at all. It's very easy to see at night, even for someone with subpar night vision. On my 89, I've considered going full limo tint so you can't even see silhouettes from outside. I've never actually seen limo from inside at night, but when I asked a few local guys, some say it's too dark, some say it's not, so I guess it depends on how good your night vision is, and whether you mostly drive in town with lots of street lights or in the country where it gets pitch black.

Also make sure you get metallized tint. Anything dyed will turn purple.

Thank you very much for that info. I think I will go with 20%. It seems to be dark enough for me. And I asked at that place about it turning purple or any kind of crap like that, the guy says, don't worry it won't happen, and even if it does you got lifetime warantty against stuff like that. So lifetime against turning purple, I'm pretty sure it's Metallized. Thank you very much for the help guys, I'm going there today to tell him I'll get 20% instead of Limo like I told him earlier. And on Wednesday at 11AM I'm dropping my car off there, and picking it up when I close up at work, since it's close to my workplace. I'm pretty excited, now my Cutty will stand out from the ones I've seen where it's mostly old grandmas driving them. :D :D :D

BOYD Autoglass is. I checked a few places, with them being the first one, and they had the best price for all "5" back ones. $215 or so bucks and we're talking CDN so I thought that was pretty good, because a few years ago it would have cost my brother that much for 3 windows on his Z24... Yea, I'm thinking 20% although I sat in a 5% tint today in one of their trucks, and I gotta tell you, it doesn't seem difficult to see out at all. So possibly a little darker also, we'll just have to see.

P.S. while we're on the topic of windows, and window tinting, my front windshield cracked today, a nice 15cm crack from top towards the bottom, but it's in that little tinted area so it doesn't bother me, although it will spread, so I'll need a new windshield too... :cry:

you wont need a new windshield. put scotch tape over it and take it to the glass place and they can stop it from spreading. i dont really like the 5% on the back of my camaro at night. it can be a little hard to see.

Stop it from spreading, eh?? Peter Griffin "Go ooonnn...." LoL, I'll ask them if it's doable, when I drop the car off for the tit job, I mean tint job. They tint and do other glass work there, so maybe that's something they could also do. Is that expensive?? And how does the scotch tape help, just put it on the outside of the glass over the crack??

Whatever you do, DON't PUSH HARD WHEN APPLYING THE TAPE!!! It will cause the crack to spread rapidly...

I doubt it is that expensive to have them fix it, if it is fixable. Boyd does some good work so if they can't do it, I doubt anyone else can either. When my mom got a stone chip it was repaired for free because of some thing on her package policy for the insurance (something like 3 free stone chip repairs for free at one time) or something like that. However I doubt it is very expensive at all.