FE1 Suspension question

19Cutlass94

Simply put, my car has FE1 suspension. I have just added the RSM STB bars to help the handling, but what else can I do? I have brand new struts, ok well not even 2 yrs old, but there like the factory ones that are good for like 75,000 miles. So I dont want to be replacing those, as it would not be worth it, both in terms of money and time. But what else can I do? Rear sway bar? It already has a front sway bar.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance everyone.

My Regal has FE1 suspension. Originally I was going to upgrade to stiffer springs front and rear, in addition to adding a rear sway bar to firm up the handling. So far all I've installed are KYB GR2 struts, and a set of 17" wheels & tires. I have noticed an immense improvement in handling, all while keeping the FE1 springs in place. I've decided to hold off on installing the swaybar, 'cause with the GR2's, I really don't need it.

Oh, what do you care, Dave, I gave you your money for it already :lol: :lol: :lol: .

The other part of the problem is that in order to install the swaybar, I need a few "nutserts" to rivet to the frame rails to mount the swaybar brackets. Well after doing tons of searching, the size of nutsert I need is not sold "ala carte" and therefore I would need to spend upwards of $100 for a nutsert kit that I'll probably only use a handful of times in my life, so for right now it's "ixnay" on the "aybarsway." 8)

That plus I'm a lazy ass :lol: :lol: :lol: ...

The inserts for the rear sway bar cost $25 for all six at the dealer, i know, i bought them for mine.

The biggest improvement on my FE1 car was the addition of the Lumina Z34 rear sway bar...one from any DOHC car would work, as it is the largest factory rear one. It takes away a lot of understeer.

As long as your car isn't bouncing when you hit bumps you should be ok...my car has a little less than 38k on it now and I just got done replacing the fronts and did the rears this spring...so sometimes they don't last long, especially if the car sat like mine did. I have the cheapo monroe struts and they are still way better than the factory ones...i honestly doubt the GR2's are any different!

just a warning though, to put a rear sway bar in you will have to remove the passenger side rear strut, in my experience

The inserts for the rear sway bar cost $25 for all six at the dealer, i know, i bought them for mine.
More info, please!!! Did you need to buy a special tool to install them? Also if you could pass along a part # for the nutserts, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The nutserts just slide in...I honestly didn't know the part number but i am buds with my local service guys so they let me look it up on the computer until i found it.

The Z34 (3.4 DOHC) rear bar is 14mm, where the normal FE3 bar on non-dohcs are 12mm. My local junkyard had like 5 DOHC cars so it wasn't hard to find one...and you really only need a 15/16" deep socket, hand sledge, 10mm box wrench to pull a rear bar...

As long as your car isn't bouncing when you hit bumps you should be ok

Its deffinatly not doing that. Although the STB bars helped SOOOO MUCH, the rear end still isnt as tight as I would prefer. So maybe that sway bar would help that out, or as it sits now, I really shouldnt worry about it unless something happens?

It doesnt exactly feel like the ass end is going crazy. Whenever I take corners rather fast, it feels like the rear of the car is just swaying on the rear tires, even though I have like 37psi in them. Would the rear sway bar help this at all. But it does feel looser than I would like it to be. Although the STB bar in the rear makes cornering feel sooo much better.