Rock hard gas pedal

88Regal Limited

this has been happening ever since we got the car (2000) The gas pedal is really stiff. When you take off, it sounds like you are racing. (ecpecially when the cat piping rusted oyut, at every stop sign/ light, vroom, brrrrr, pop, brrrr. I swear to got a ricer ginned it beside the old 2.8 fury. I laughed my ass of from that one.) Any1 know why? Been like this for almost 5 years now.... And hasnt gotten better.

PS: 1988 buick regal limited. The only power options it has are brakes, antenna and steering. Why it isn't a custom I dont know... :lol:

Both 3.1's we have owned, including mine, have had a very stiff gas pedal. I oiled the crap out of the TB assembly which helped a little, but not much. Anyone with any ideas to make the pedal easier to push, let us know!

i resent the rusting out exhaust system remark! i personally put the new cat and piping on it :lol: cars nice and quiet now!

probably try oiling the pivot where the butterfly opens on the outside of the TB, but if it were me, i'd just goto the yard and push gas pedels till i find one i like and swap the whole stupid TB over.

When I disconnected the throttle cable from the TB, it moved freely without any effort at all. The problem is something with the TB itself I believe. I don't think its the spring because why would GM want to sell cars from the factory that takes a strong leg to push the gas?

last few times i've messed with that car i have found the actual throtle body hard to move, then again i never disconnected the throtle cables to find out.

Maybe he meant seized! :lol:

I didn't use WD40, I used 5W30. Worked great and never reoccurred, I distinctly remember using a little oil squirty thing and squirting it into the cable and also TB pivot areas.

Maybee the cable is binding down by the gas pedal some where? I had a bad cable in my old 79 Monte Carlo. One day while going to school, it got stuck wide open. I had to pound on the gas pedal with my foot until it came unstuck. Talk about scaring the crap out of a guy.

Maybee the cable is binding down by the gas pedal some where?
When I disconnected the throttle cable from the TB, the pedal moved freely without any effort at all. The problem is something with the TB itself I believe.

I can't speak for anyone else's car, but on mine, the problem is definitely not the cable or the pedal. When I lubed it before, I used WD40, so I'm thinking Shawn's idea of 5W30 may be the way to go.

My 80 Trans Am had a stiff gas pedal. Turned out to be too sharp of a bend in the cable (and i'm not talking about a kink either). Fabbed a bracket to straighten it out more, and it's super smooth now. Just a thought.

the gas pedal in my Cutty was stiff when I purchased it...I had no idea how to fix it since I had no mechanical experience. A few months later it snapped on the way to work and I was stuck with a running car that went nowhere! Lube that wire up at the TB and see what happens.

The 88 Cutlass I had had a super stiff pedal.

All 3 of the '94's (2 3100's and a 3.4 DOHC) have light gas pedals as does the '90 Quad 4. The 97 Grand Prix is kinda stiff but nowhere near what the old '88 Cutlass Supreme had

I'd replace the throttle cable, and not take any chances. I know too many people who have just sprayed WD-40, and then crashed a month later because the cable snapped.

Like I said, been happening since 2000. I'm going to try the 5-w30 thing. (because I'm changing the oil in the lawn tractor in a couple weeks. Thanks for the replies, keep em coming!