Some STB ?s before I build my own...DONE with pics! 9/26

ToroToro

Within the next few days, I'm going to undergo the task of fabbing up a STB for the front. I just need to know some simple things first.

1) Is it safe to remove the three strut tower cover bolts with the car on the ground? Or is there something special I need to do?

2) With the factory STB, does it take the place of the black tower cover things, or does it bolt on over, or underneath them?

3) Last but not least, if the factory STB doesn't use the strut cover thingys, I should be able to weld my steel rectangular bar right to them right? ( unless they are aluminum... are they aluminum? )

If I still need the strut tower cover things, I have some 1/8" sheet metal I can make some brackets for, and weld the bar onto them.

I appreciate any input...

yes it is safe to take them off while the car is on the ground. Just don't drive it around!

I'm not sure how the cutty factory STB works, but in most cases, the STB brace goes on top of the ST cap

So you could just build a brace for your STB that either

1) Goes over the ST cap (usually just the two inner bolts)

2) Weld do the ST caps

Good luck with it!

The factory STB replaces the caps. It's pretty much a bar and some bracketry welded right onto the caps (although the caps they're welded to are slightly different in appearance than regular caps).

Yes, you should be able to weld your bar right to them.

Don't bounce or move the car if you have the caps off, the strut and rubber mount will work its way out of its hole if you do. Everything will stay put as long as the car doesn't move.

Thanks guys.

I decided to go ahead and cut out seperate brackets that will bolt over the covers. I found some galvanized steel sheetmetal, and cut the brackets out yesterday.

Not quite 1/8" like I wanted to use, but it's thick enough, and still VERY strong.

I guess I decided to do it this way so it'll be easier to sell, should I ever decide to produce these ( unlikely ), and so I dont need to have my car in pieces while I make this.

I'll keep you guys posted on my progress...

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it's finally finished ( minus paint )...

finishedstb001.jpg

Actually, I'm pretty impressed.... I can tell that the the front end is a little stiffer. Could be the placebo effect in action though. :willynilly:

At least it clears everything and bolts up straight...I was a little worried about that. And it should look sweet when it's painted. :D