Turbo 3.1L vs. N/A 3.1L

Robby1870

Here's my question all you turbo guys:

I know the external differences b/n turbo and N/A 3.1L (e.g. rear exhaust manifold, crossover, intercooler, all that stuff). And I know the compression on the turbo is 8.8:1 whereas my 3.1L is 8.9:1. However, are the internals of the two motors the same?? I assume the pistons, b/c of the compression, but are the better/more reliable?? What about rods and springs and all that stuff. I also know the turbo 4T60 is beefier. So, can I, throw a turbo on my 3.1L, beef up the trans and turn up the boost with a chip and blow my internals apart?? I really want to do this down the line, but I want to know how much Im gonna be out when the time comes, besides the stuff for the turbo. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Robby

Most of the internal parts are the same.

I believe the crank is hardened, or maybe it was just inspected and they picked the best cranks for the TGP, but if I remember right, it also has the same casting number as the NA crank.

Some say the TGP crank is identical to the 3100 crank. I have no idea if that's true or not.

Pistons and rods are the same, I believe.

Yeah, you should be able to turbo your existing engine.

I just finished comparing the TGP crank to the 3100 crank. Other than the TGP crank being a much cleaner casting, they do look identical.

In addition to Shawns post:

The oil pump is different...it has longer gears and runs with higher pressure. The TGP crank is much nicer than the 3.1 crank too. Cast better, hardened, rolled fillets, casting ridges removed, etc. Just stuff to make it stonger, but your NA crank should be fine. The chance of breaking a crank is slim, as long as you've got the right amount of fuel and spark (ie no knock) you'll be OK.

I thought the pistons were different...something about having a steel ring embedded in the piston. I thought that the pistons being different was how they got the lower compression. I could be wrong though.

Jason

so when I do this, I would need bigger injectors and better ignition?? Where would I get bigger injectors?? Anything else I would need to get?? Im puttin on higher ratio rockers this summer, and porting and polishing my intake manifolds. Thats like all the internal work I want to do. I would do the injectors, but thats really all I want to do. Is there anything I need to do to make this work??

Robby

Guest TurboSedan

i'm doing the same thing to my CS. hopefully i can start the work next month; i've been collecting TGP parts since last fall. you would need bigger injectors, i think the n/a 3.1 uses like 17lb injectors whereas the TGP uses 22lbs stock. i'd like to go with 24lbs myself. the ignition doesn't need any special TGP parts or anything, just make sure things are in good condition. i also plan on a Melling HV oil pump, new TGP stock fuel pump and filter, new thicker head gaskets (because of the slightly higher compression). i'm leaving the whole engine alone besides new gaskets and seals everywhere. you'll need a 2-bar MAP sensor and modify the plug, TGP PROM, TGP vacuum EGR (or block it off and disable it in the PROM like me), and use the wiring from your old digital EGR to control the TGP wastegate solenoid. you don't really need the TGP '3.1 INTERCOOLED TURBO' plenum, but you'll have to drill and tap your current plenum for the AIT sensor (assuming you'll use a K&N cone). other than that, a boost gauge and A/F gauge would be a very wise decision, and maybe even Diacom or something that can monitor knock. a BOV would help your turbo last longer and make your car faster. good luck getting all of the external TGP parts like the turbo, intercooler, crossover etc. i have an extra intercooler for sale but you would need the special TGP radiator to make it fit, so you may just consider a front mount intercooler and a radiator from a DOHC car. this forum, the TGP forum, 60' V6 forum, and ebaymotors are probably the best places to look for parts. any other questions let us know :)

joshua