Wiper problems

LukeZ34

I've never encountered any problems with the wipers on our cars, so that's why I'm asking all of you.

The drivers side wiper on Jess's TGP is freely movable up and down the windshield... Meaning I can grab it, and effortlessly move the thing up and down the window. Needless to say, it doesn't function worth a shit when you try to use it. It will move up, but won't go down.

What causes this, and what parts need to be replaced? I've never messed with the wiper systems on these cars, so I'm drawing a blank here.

TIA for any help!

Luke

Videos:(excuse my laughing in the second one, I have never seen them get stuck on each other before! :lol: )

http://home.lukez34.com/oldroot/pics/MOV05231.MPG (4mb)

http://home.lukez34.com/oldroot/pics/MOV05232.MPG (5.2mb)

Guest Anonymous

sounds like the hinge-type mechanism went bad on it. I dont know much about the whole setup there, but it sounds like whatever hinge type mechaism is on there is broken.

Are you referring to the hinge in which you can lift up on the wiper itself to change it?

Cause if so, that's not what I was referring to... although it is kind of hard to explain it, so that's my fault. Let me post a couple of short videos. 8)

Guest Anonymous

no not that part. I know this is difficult- but there should be a hinging piece with a motor or something that alows the wiper arm to go back and forth once turned on by you, and thats whats broken.. i think....

HOPEFULLY This is very easy Luke. My sister's '02 GP did this on both wiper arms on different occasions, and I've helped quite a few customers at work too. What happens is either the nut that mounts the wiper arm to the splined shaft loosens, or they don't make it tight enough from the factory. At any rate, the splines lose their grip on the wiper arm and they somewhat "strip" the bore on the arm. Remove the arm, (there's a plastic "locating" piece below the splined shaft, be sure not to remove that) use a wire brush to clean the splines on the shaft, then reinstall the arm. Make the nut tight, but not too tight, maybe in the 40 lb/ft range as long as it's more snug than before. The splines should be strong and will clean up nice. Give it a shot, 90% of the time it's this simple.

Yep, you were right!

Take a look at this:

End of the wiper

DSC05234%20(Medium).JPG

wiper shaft

DSC05237%20(Medium).JPG

Cleaned up both ends, and it works again!

The nuts on both wipers weren't very tight, so that was the problem!

Now I just need to figure out why they don't go down all the way, they still stick up a little bit. At least they work though, that's all Jess cares about. She was a little pissed when she didn't have a working drivers side wiper last time it rained! :lol:

Ah that's familiar :lol: and it's not just GM's. I got the same shit from my sister when her car lost the drivers side wiper. She got driven home by a coworker and I had to drive her BACK to work the next day, and fix the car there. But regarding how the wipers park, without seeing how they act in person, if they both need to go further down, there's an adjustment on one of the "transmission" linkages which I can't remember if it's accessible with it IN the car. The other option is to gently pry up that plastic lower locating piece on both sides, and clock it one notch "inward". I believe that locator sits on splines as well. I would mark the exact location of the locator before tampering with it just in case it doesn't work out right. My old '89 had one wiper park incorrectly, and this fixed it.

One of the wipers on my girlfriend's Saturn did that too.. the nut just came loose on the output shaft so obviously it wouldn't turn or hold in place correctly. She was using them one day on the highway when suddenly the driver's side ended up on her side mirror :lol: