ALWAYS FORGOTTEN

Drache Rott

I keep seeing quite a few ignition problems on this forum.

And I have one thing to say.... you all are over looking the biggest cause of these problems... the easiest to diagnose... the cheapest to fix... THE CRANK POSITION SENSOR

it's on the back side of the motor ... near the knock sensor.... when they get old or to hot they crack... they can cause random missfires or stalling as well as the increased resistance can DESTROY either or both the ecu and the ignition module... which can also kill the coils...

all you do is pull it out of the block..(thats why it gets hot and cracked) it's about 1 1/2 inches long black with one bolt holding it in. To get to it you will have to roll the motor forward by unbolting the dogbones, then lock it forward with the eyelet on the bottom side the dogbone to the mount(thats whats it's there for ..for thoes of you that might have wondered). If it's cracked at all...REPLACE IT... if it's not go to autozone..they can test it for free... AND HERES THE BEST PART.... it's only 15-20$ for the part

and changing it usuly nets you some lost power and better gas mileage..do to it getting less sensitive as it gets older.... this is a no loss deal here.

Dave 8)

Well, I had the crank sensor wire replaced, I know what you mean. Mine was shorting out, which really felt like an ignition problem. I would have never thought about that being the problem.

-Robby

ummm did you say see? muhahahah... oh sorry that shouldn't be funny

you MIGHT be able to see it from the side ...but I usualy just find it by feel ... first you find the knock sensor with your hand and the crank sensor is just below and too the left of it...

it's not hard to change though.... it's only one bolt... and it slides out..may have to wiggle it...it has an oring to keep dirt out..if the oring hasn't shrivled with age and heat

ummm did you say see? muhahahah... oh sorry that shouldn't be funny

you MIGHT be able to see it from the side ...but I usualy just find it by feel ... first you find the knock sensor with your hand and the crank sensor is just below and too the left of it...

are you laughing at me? :)

Monty

naa just laughing that you postulated that you might be able to see ANYTHING on one of these fwd cars.... I remeber the first time I had to change the ignition module....and I'm not talking later years where they put it on top...I mean underneathe the exaust manifold.. between the overflow tank and through every thing else.... now picture me pulling this thing...... feet locked into the dog bones... belly mashed against the front bumper....shoulder and arms and head underneath the car to get my arms to it....I was working out all the time back then and my arms were way too big to get in any other way.. :( .... in any case I hade to take the whole damn thing out by feel ... and f'n gm.... has the nerve to put both metric and standard bolts on the same part ARRGH!!! 1/4 and 5mm... I rounded off the metric bolts because I didnt know!

The 2.2 Cavalier ignition module is on the bottom of the back of the engine, must be removed from underneath, by sticking arm in the narrow space between transaxle and motor. ^%%#&^$&^)(&*%$!

• 2 weeks later...

s0o0o...my car has been stalling every once in a while lately. Sometimes in the morning i get some thin white smoke out of my engine compartment that seems the come from the engine and it smells like solder. So all this could because of a $20 cranks sensor?

here's where i originally posted about the problem...

http://www.w-body.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2446&highlight=

umm the stalling could be the crank sensor...but the thin wisp of smoke that smells like solder sounds more like anitfreeze burning on one of the manifolds....check for a radiator leak to the front ..or a leak from one of the heater hoses or the pipes going to the core

David