ATTN: Chief Wiggum

TGPilot

I

Garrett, chill out. Everyone has an opinion to things, but saying they 'don't know what their talking' about and calling their input 'worthless' isn't constructive and was completely uncalled for. Everyone has different likes and dislikes when it comes to their sound systems.

I respect others opinions, but this guy is just trying to taunt me and I am saying that unless he wants to stay in the dark all of his life, should be open to others opinions ,like it seems only I am.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jeff M

• Prospeeder

• Garrett Powered

• GP1138

I

Garrett, chill out. Everyone has an opinion to things, but saying they 'don't know what their talking' about and calling their input 'worthless' isn't constructive and was completely uncalled for. Everyone has different likes and dislikes when it comes to their sound systems.

I respect others opinions, but this guy is just trying to taunt me and I am saying that unless he wants to stay in the dark all of his life, should be open to others opinions ,like it seems only I am.

Maybe its just giving your opinion with a hammer verses passing the plate that gets these responses :!: And if he does not want to do what someone says/you maybe, well....its his car, his money, his life to do with what he wants (if the wife approves :wink: ). Also, and I am guilty of this, re-read the post, you might find the words did NOT have the intent when you first read it, easy some times to get confused, I have had to apologize a few times for messing up there, so learn from me on that one, and to USE the PM to ask or clear up an issue with someone, give them the benefit of the doubt when you write them, might find what you thought they said or meant was not even close :lol: then you won’t look like a fool 8) .

So, that is the way it stands at this point :!:

Jeff M

Everyone looks like a fool compared to someone who knows everything in the universe about a car like you! I would always listen to you, Jeff. I can take a bashing and not let it bother me like in the "turbo goin out" thread, but I dont think that I am an oppinion with a hammer. I try to be helpful to too many people when it is not called for sometimes or it is off topic. oops.

Sorry Jeff. anyway sounds like your system would be pretty sweet. Do the 10s work well in the sides ? I thought of that too.

Everyone looks like a fool compared to someone who knows everything in the universe about a car like you!

:shock: Well thanks for the vote but the count is still out :lol:, if there needs to be one :lol: I have put in 15 years of working on these cars (and other/turbo cars/trucks as well) but I learn all the time, and quite often, my TSTE was bugging me since the front turn signal light would not light at all with the parking lights as it does with my 2 TGPs, I was talking to Jim W and he checked his and said the same :shock: and that was just an hour ago I learned that :lol: Best thing for me has been to listen, and ask (about my stupid lights :roll: ) and stay away from absolutes, too often thinking everything is known stops someone from learning more, and there is always more thank god or it would get boring for me!! And there are plenty of guys on here I learn from, they too have put in the wrench time on this and many other cars, together we have an impressive board (member) of directors here that can tear through pretty much any fix that is needed!!!! :D

I would always listen to you, Jeff. I can take a bashing and not let it bother me like in the "turbo goin out" thread, but I dont think that I am an oppinion with a hammer. I try to be helpful to too many people when it is not called for sometimes or it is off topic. oops.

I sure hope you did not feel I bashed you in that "turbo going out" thread, that was not the intent, I apologize if I did :oops: , my only reason was to keep things clear for the owner so he did not spend money he did not have to, that’s all 8), just don't forget that newbies like wiggy and anyone else really, are listening and remembering and taking notes, so what we all say will lead them one way or the other some day when a related issue arises, we want the right way for everyone the best as can be determined, before its written into stone/in a post. "hammer"....well maybe just some chilling is a good thing 8) , like you were not bashed in that post, nor should have felt an idiot because there were others that felt speakers in one place were better than your idea, its that absolute again. You can love the shit out of your speaker setup and that’s cool, its your car you had better have it how you like it :lol: if I like the dash and think it best, I won't lose any sleep or get pissed if you feel the doors are still best 8) 8)

Sorry Jeff. anyway sounds like your system would be pretty sweet. Do the 10s work well in the sides ? I thought of that too.

No worries, I think the reply I did here should show that 8) and maybe help your time here to be more enjoyable and with better results from you giving out some help, maybe instead of an absolute statement like: "turbo cracks are total bad news" to: "turbo cracks were bad for me, rebuilder blamed it on my turbo needing rebuilt" :wink: that leaves room for some other guys (besides me :lol: ) to offer what they found, and maybe save you some money 8) .

The 10's in the side sure showed how lame 100 watts RMS was, 500 watts took care of that, I learned (remembered again, getting old) that even though 100 rms made them lound, they soon ran out of good loud sound and not from getting too much power, but not enough meaning the speakers were playing the amp clipping :lol:. I can't remember the enclosure space back there (once sealed) but the trick (not mine, read it) is to use those foam peanuts and fill the cavity, then drain them all out and put into a large box and measure the sq ft, I liked that trick a ton!!!

Peace man 8)

Jeff M

The more I try to learn about a topic the more I feel stupid about the things I did in the past. I am constantly humbled, just like the other day, on the subject of those oil filters. and I read that link to that study. I went down to the dealership that day and bought an AC Delco filter and put it on. Won't tell you what brand I had on it(no, not Pennzoil).

Like my van that I used to love to brag how it had like 20 speakers in it. But it was a huge waste because 10 years ago I did not know shit and used credit to get some Good Guys to install it like crap. My Bostons were in there but never got enough power and were barely hooked up. :oops: the van was loud as hell though with all those Phoenix Golds in the back and 3 amps.

Now I just run 1 source for each bandwidth and amp it up as much as I can. It is less loud sounding that way. With those same Bostons! 10 yrs old and sounding beautiful. not saying a nice set of really good 6x9s (with the bass blocked off them) would not be welcome.

I think that a couple 10s would compliment it nice in those side panels. I just remembered my Bostons had 8s with them and I have been trying to find a way to utilise them. They would be perfect there with their fine mesh grills. I will have to use a flush mount setup and paint the grill light grey.

The more I try to learn about a topic the more I feel stupid about the things. I did in the past.

Nope, stupid is those that don't "learn" :lol: if you are learning as we all do every day then you cannot get any better than that 8) I think of our brains as hard drives, when first formatted/born its pretty empty :lol: , how much effort we spend filling it gets us smarter and wiser, or take some short cuts to get there faster and listen to older people that already have a 10, 20 or 30 year jump on this learning curve, they call their knowledge wisdom when its nothing more than “I made that mistake already, here is the right thing to do" :lol: Don’t make me compete with you on the fun mistakes I have made, this old guy has more than you :shock: :lol: , got to laugh at your mistakes, better you than someone else when you think about, I think I make some hilarious blunders at times :lol: , long as no one got hurt :oops: .

I am constantly humbled, just like the other day, on the subject of those oil filters. and I read that link to that study. I went down to the dealership that day and bought an AC Delco filter and put it on. Won't tell you what brand I had on it.

And when I owned my first 3 to 4 cars I don't even remember what filter I used, but I do know that there was no Internet to give me an idea, or me to think I should be concerned they are all different, and even think about cutting some open :shock: But my old cars lasted just fine, lucky me but even a cheapy oil filter has some value, we just get fussy when we know there is better for a buck or two more 8)

I think that a couple 10s would compliment it nice in those side panels. I just remembered my Bostons are 8s. They would be perfect there with their fine mesh grills. I will have to use a flush mount setup and paint the grill light grey.

I like your van story, my first 68 Cutty had a weird stereo system, I knew kind of what was wrong but kept what I had and made due, the head unit had like 500mv output, but my amp on low gain was hardly loud with it, on high gain was nice and loud but at low volume levels from the head unit caused my 6x9s to wobble and snap the voice coils :lol: :lol: so I just laughed since I did not break anything and called my high gain the NOS switch on my amp :lol: its fun to laugh at yourself, I enjoy doing it long as I don't break something too bad :oops: I remember wanting to break something....once I had finished testing the shit out of my chips and all was looking great with no knock, good A/F, all that, I wanted to then know how much the engine could take, knock/detonation that is, so I would know if these engines running safe was super safe or safe enough, I am picky, and I wanted to rebuild the motor so, toss in lots of timing and crank the boost, rattle-rattle stall, collapsed a spark plug, re-gap it and go for more, rattle-rattle and stall, blew the ground strap off a different plug (wanted to know too if one cylinder was favored to detonate first), a new plug and off again, this time no boost control and 17 psi on 92 octane, bammmm, sweeet lumpy idle like a big cam, shaky engine, found I finally blew a piston, but the original head gasket held and the rods did not bend and the rod bearings did not spin though after a longer time doing this might have flattened one, but it was fun and my local TGP buddies all were like cooool when they seen the piston 8)

Your Boston 8 inch subs would be a lot less pain to fit then these damn 10’s were, and with the 6x9’s I had, really did not need to go 10's, 8's and those strong ass thumpy 6x9's I had would have been enough bass for me, I don't need to rattle everyone within a city block...speaking of which, just read on there being something like a 32 or 34 inch subwoofer!!!! It can take 5,000 watts rms and cost $5,000, screw worrying about blowing out your lexan windows, one of those would blow the windows out of any car near you, or any house. It would be great to fire one out the back yard, then when some animals show up, run some 10 hz through it and make them think its an earthquake, or the same to some burglar, that would mess with his mind,

Ok, enough talking, I only got 4 days now to finish my 2004 taxes :shock: , yea I am just now able to get time to do my 2004 taxes :oops: , better get some money to at least make the 2 days it takes to do my part worth it, and this is only to get the info typed out in an 8 page spread sheet, it still will take a tax man to enter in all this shit.

Jeff M

I

Um, no, I wasn't trying to "taunt" you, Garrett. Nowhere near that. And I'll be damned if I don't listen to others' opinions. As a moderator, I'd be fucked up the ass if I didn't!

I personally don't like the dash speakers as opposed to door speakers. I never said you HAD to do anything, just putting my two cents in. You have a choice, ignore it, or reply civilly and maturely to it, even if you don't like it. I respect any opinion you may have, and it was never my intent to "taunt" you. I'm sure anyone reading my previous posts can see the same.

BUT what if u have door speakers AND dash speakers :lol: , from what ur saying it sounds like ur like, either or, not both

Eh, I don't know, but since we got both, the options are there easy to do you own thing the way you like :D . Having door and dash is great too, super front fill and using the doors to get some 6 inches so there is at least a little mid-bass instead of the 5 1/4 straining up top.

Jeff M

[ Having door and dash is great too, super front fill and using the doors to get some 6 inches so there is at least a little mid-bass instead of the 5 1/4 straining up top.

Jeff M

You may have 5 1/4, the TGP comes with 4x6s in the doors and dash. They got tweeters so they can be bass blocked with a good Sony or Alpine or Pioneer ( others too). so that an amplified subwoofer can take the load off those tiny voicecoils and paper cones.

If midbass is desired in the cabin 4" mids fit right into a slightly modified factory enclosure! Not too many cars have these that I have seen so might as well take advantage.

Its not too hard to fiberglass them over and have sealed mid boxes. Then you can turn it up all the way and there is no distortion from the cone flapping.

PM me if anyone is interested in getting some sealed 4" mid enclosures, I can make 1 more set with these pieces I pulled out of my red car.

All you would have to do is install the crossover box that comes with the seperates in the little hole behind the side mirror in the door. and run the tweeter wire through the door loom up to the dash.

I should offer a kit for a casual 2 day install and totally upgrade the front "soundstage". One door per day could be achieved by even a beginner installer with a good desire.

• 2 weeks later...
You may have 5 1/4, the TGP comes with 4x6s in the doors and dash.

4x6???is that what I took out to put in my 5 1/4 :lol: In the dash there is some tricks to get the stock grill to allow a seperates speakers to work, and not for the faint at heart. Doors were easy and took the 6 1/2 inch with ease, though the tweeters had to move but punching out a hole in the plastic there and using the existing grill cloth made that job clean and sweet, plenty of room for an xover in the door skin area.

Jeff M

I have a three way set in the doors, 6 1/2, 5 1/4, 1 inch tweeter. I made a custom encloser to hold all three. I basiclly enclosed the whole pocket area in the door. Were they had that wonderful little storage compartment. Then I took out the dash speakers and put my alarm in place of the right side. Also made it so the grill can be removed to show the alarm system. Just a little info.

Ken