ATTN: Chief Wiggum

TGPilot

Figured I wouold start a new thread for you seeing is how the other one has made it to 10 pages! :lol:

If you need help determining what is and what isn't on your TSTE just say so.

If you would take a picture of the turbo so we can see if it has a stock/cracked or Jeff M x-over pipe.

The other thing is for you to pull the ECM and look at the MEMCal chip to see if it is stock or a Jeff M chip.

Many normal running issues have been cured with Jeff's chip and some added performance points.

Those two things are essential to have a fun time with the car if you do not have the ability or desire to tune your own chip or fabricate your own x-over pipe... 8)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jeff M

• Prospeeder

• Garrett Powered

• GP1138

Guest ChiefWiggum

Thanks Kenny, I guess the other one should stay auction related.

I just got it home. It's idleing rough at the lights. Once it goes going, it runs real strong. No wierd noises or anything. The transmission is flawless.

The brakes on the other hand are terrible. I don't yet know if they need to be bled or what.

I took a picture of the crossover pipe. I'm pretty sure it's stock so it probably is my problem.

I have to get it uploaded somewhere then I'll post it.

I know what u mean, my brakes on my TGP are horrible! They need fixed, im going in for brakes soon. Mine idled pretty rough when i first got it, Look for vacuum leakes, or anything, does ur cruise work or vents change? cause thats a sure sign of a vacuum leak. I fixed my vac leak, then it ran fine.

Guest ChiefWiggum

He said his mechanic found a vacuum leak involving the ac system. I haven't had a chance to look into it yet. It sure would be nice if that's all it needs. The brakes are spongy like they have air in the system. Will try bleeding them first I guess.

Took the old lady out for a spin. It really gets going once it smooths out. That 1st to 2nd shift is sweet. Almost feels like it could chirp 2nd.

Got the photobucket thing going finally. My internet is creeping today.

Here's the pics:

DSCN2172.jpg

DSCN2171.jpg

DSCN2170.jpg

Guest TurboSedan

i think that's just black paint :?: anyway yeah that is definately the stock crossover pipe. you can tell because the heat shield is still on it. the stock flex bellows are very prone to cracking, even new stock GM crossover pipes crack in a very short amount of time due to the crappy flex bellows they used. you could either buy new SS braided flex bellows and have them welded in (what i did), or buy a Jeff M pipe (the best you can get).

Guest ChiefWiggum

Sounds like I'm getting the new crossover pipe wheter this one is holding or not. So they're cracking even at stock boost levels?

I'm going to try a pressure test on the whole system first to find all the vacuum leaks and see how it runs.

Guest ChiefWiggum
thats definatly the stock Xover, and whats with all the oil all over ur dog bone mount

It's dry. I think the camera flash just made it look glossy or something.

:bawl: You are a truly lucky individual.. That car is gorgeous! Glad to see it's in a garage where it's beauty will be preserved!

Nice to have you here Chief!

Guest ChiefWiggum
:bawl: You are a truly lucky individual.. That car is gorgeous! Glad to see it's in a garage where it's beauty will be preserved!

Nice to have you here Chief!

Thanks Luke, good to be here.

Yours is too. I love red Pontiac's too, as you can see by the Grand Am GT sitting next to it. :wink:

Sounds like I'm getting the new crossover pipe wheter this one is holding or not. So they're cracking even at stock boost levels?

I'm going to try a pressure test on the whole system first to find all the vacuum leaks and see how it runs.

well, from the extreme heat, and the motor moving, thats why theres the flex bellows, well, GM used shitty welds, and the heat shield traps in moisture and causes it to rust, and gets weaker and weaker till the shotty welds crack, boost has nothing to do with it

Guest TurboSedan

well, from the extreme heat, and the motor moving, thats why theres the flex bellows, well, GM used shitty welds, and the heat shield traps in moisture and causes it to rust, and gets weaker and weaker till the shotty welds crack, boost has nothing to do with it

no it has nothing to do with shitty welds. the welds are just fine. they crack between the flex bellows. the flex bellows GM used are a JOKE compared to what i'm using and of course, what Jeff M uses when he rebuilds the TGP crossover pipe.

Guest ChiefWiggum

I was sniffing around under the hood with it idleing and could defintantly smell some exhaust. So I'm guessing it probably is cracked. :x Sucks.

Old cars, what are you going to do?

http://www.tpsgarage.com/

First was to resolve the failure of the flex joint/bellows themselves, these failed from a number of reasons; one being the original sloppy work done when welding up the pipes not taking care to ensure exacting dimensions, producing added stress for these flex joints after the pipe was bolted on.

Guest TurboSedan

the welds do not crack, the flex bellows DO, that is the point. the problem has nothing to do with the actual welding. shitty ass flex bellows together with "not taking care of exacting dimensions" has everything to do with the flex bellows cracking. again, it is not the welds that crack nor were they "shoddy welds"

the welds do not crack, the flex bellows DO, that is the point. the problem has nothing to do with the actual welding. shitty ass flex bellows together with "not taking care of exacting dimensions" has everything to do with the flex bellows cracking. again, it is not the welds that crack nor were they "shoddy welds"

I know I'm beating a dead horse here but wouldn't it be ASC that designed the crossover and not GM?

TGPoldpipetoasted3ways.gif

See it's where it flex's there are no welds there. I'm assuming all of our motors have flex bellows in them correct? If so why does the LG5 have such a problem more pressure because of the boost? Or just a different design then the N/A motors?

Not really worth saying my reply here, just a small bit of info is all, I had this pic on my web site for a while:

Typical%20OEM%20Pipe%20Weld2.jpg

From the 450+ OEM pipes that have come to me/returned cores, the welds done are nasty so not surprised if they do let go once in a while, BUT!!!, you are around 99% correct :lol: 8) they are the flex joints that fail which is close enough for me :P

Jeff M

That exhaust smell might be coming from the EGR flex hose that cracks all the time too. It is also easier to get to so you might check that out first. You got to take out and look under the heat shield sleeve, but BE CAREFUL when you take it out that you dont flex it around too much and create a leak. Nice ride, the last time I seen one that clean, it was just broke in (with a broken lower motor mount ALREADY!) 13 k on the clock. I don't think I will ever see one that has lower mileage than that! but yours has to be low mileage, the paint looks GOOD 8) !

BTW If you keep the lower motor mount clean of oils. Try not to spill any power steering fluid on that side and keep it nice and clean. throw a big gulp on it occasionally(a little trick I have I will throw it in for free right now since you are new here 8) ) Good luck :thumbsup: with your ride :cheers:

Guest ChiefWiggum
That exhaust smell might be coming from the EGR flex hose that cracks all the time too. It is also easier to get to so you might check that out first. You got to take out and look under the heat shield sleeve, but BE CAREFUL when you take it out that you dont flex it around too much and create a leak. Nice ride, the last time I seen one that clean, it was just broke in (with a broken lower motor mount ALREADY!) 13 k on the clock. I don't think I will ever see one that has lower mileage than that! but yours has to be low mileage, the paint looks GOOD 8) !

BTW If you keep the lower motor mount clean of oils. Try not to spill any power steering fluid on that side and keep it nice and clean. throw a big gulp on it occasionally(a little trick I have I will throw it in for free right now since you are new here 8) ) Good luck :thumbsup: with your ride :cheers:

How long ago did you see one with 13k?

Thanks for the compliment and the motor mount tip. :)

I will check out the EGR flex hose. Which heay shield are you talking about?

I also just found a vacuum tee with one end without a hose connected. Can anybody tell me where this is supposed to go? It's right in the center of the picture. Down below the turbo.

DSCN2181.jpg

no that is ok, just the tranny vac. modulator. Run a search, and read about it if you want. on the egr too. actually, some people just delete the egr off their car.

I saw that car here in person, it was flawless. litterally. But red/tan so not as rare as yours. Or mine for that matter.I have only seen a few TGPs in real life and that one was immaculate. A time machine.