Boost loss after 2nd gear?

Prospeeder

Ok, i got my TGP ass fixed up, she screams! well, i floored it, and it would have full bost up through 1st, shift, go through second shift, then ALL the boost went away, the gauge said -7, and the car was SO SLOW, it stuck at 61mph on the HUD for a good 5 or more seconds, then actually wnet to 62 mph, lol, and the whole time, no boost, when i let off the gas then back on, it come all back, when i also just have it almost floored but not quite, it shifts into 3rd and stil has boost just fine, whats up with that, is there some kind of governor or somthing keeping to boost from coming in 3rd gear shift or what, BTW i ahd OD off, i wasnt planning on going all the way to 4th if that makes a difference

i made sure that all the IC hoses and vac lines were on and tight BTW

Is the stock air box still used..and that calaped prone intake hose? How about under the TB...That TB to IC pipe hose can look clamped on from top..but found out several times it comes loose from the bottome if not bolted on right.

oh thanks, ill check those out, the TB has the original clippy thing for it, so thats not a problem, and why would the intake hose only calapse in the 3rd gear shift? or any of that stuff go wrong just into 3rd gear

It does that on mine too. I figure the waste gate is barely open enough for all the air to just push its way out. Then you let off the throttle and it seals down so you can floor it again. You got to remember these are totally different than a N/A. Once you hear the boost start to leak out the wastegate (a rushing air whistle sound) take your foot off and ease back into it. I am trying to find someone still who has adjusted the wastegate to walk me through it. I got my boost gauge and BOV up and running so I will be trying to adjust mine soon.

Are you running an aftermarket Boost Control or the stock wastegate actuator solenoid?

You have an auto right?

Jeff-M chip or stock?

Stock intake or K&N?

Stock cat converter or upgraded exhaust?

8)

well, the waste gate is for the exhaust, the air wouldnt push through it, i wouldnt think, and the way the car is just Choked of power, im thinking the stock air box hose colapses, cause even if there was no boost, it shouldnt take like 5-6 seconds to go 1mph higher, ill have to look into a Cone filter

Are you running an aftermarket Boost Control or the stock wastegate actuator solenoid?

You have an auto right?

Jeff-M chip or stock?

Stock intake or K&N?

Stock cat converter or upgraded exhaust?

8)

Stock everything, auto

My first guess would be its hitting overboost. Does the SES light come on during this or what? It could be lots of different things, but thats my first guess...maybe the cat is plugged?

Shawn

To rule out overboost...does it feel like the car is trying to slam your teeth into the steering wheel when you are hard in acceleration? Or is it like you described that it just loses power, but not a complete loss in all power like you turned off the ignition?

Stock intake with stock chip at stock boost levels do not normally cause the hose to collapse unless the filter is plugged.

But you say that when you back out of it and get back on it is ok...might be the intake hose...easiest way to tell is drive on a paved road that is somewhat clean. Take the snorkel off the turbo inlet and drive. If it does the same thing then one of a few things might be happening.

I do not know the history of the car so these are off the cuff what I would look for...

1). You are getting a severe amount of knock and the ECM is pulling all the timing and trying to save the motor.

2). You have a dirty fuel filter or pump that is dying.

3). You have a weak wastgate actuator and it is not seating properly closing the wastegate. This will cause the back-off and return of boost.

4). Your wastegate solenoid is shorting causing an open loop and opening the wastegate.

5). Your cat converter is getting plugged up and not allowing full flow during hard acceleration. This is normally felt in the higher RPMs.

6). Your MAP sensor is old and confused telling the ECM it has no boost and it is not allowing the upper fuel maps to wake up.

There are other things..but I would check the snorkel for collapse first...then the operation of the wastegate circuit. 8)

well it feels like the car is suffucating, there NO power, it doesnt lurhc or nothin, jsut boost drops to negitive, and its super super super slow, no power what soever, but why would it only do it in 3rd gear? is that the hiest boost point or what, that might cause the hose to give out

Its just a conicidance it does it on 3rd. If your boosting...and then..BAM>..you have the boost guage pointing at green...you back off and then it goes boosting again..then its the intake hose collapsing.

So do TGPilots suggestion..Remove the turbo to airbox hose and shoot for the sky.

This hose is farrr from ok when it comes to sucking 200hp through a airbox with a paper filter.

Those hoses are designed to stay oval. they got wire in them. That was very helpful to me what TGPilot listed, even though I thought I ruled out most of that stuff. It sure woke up my brain cells again. :mrgreen:

The only hoses that have steel rings in them are these:

IC to upper charge hose

Lower charge hose to IC.

Factory Airbox to Passenger side engine compartment (behind the cover)

The hose going FROM the turbo TO the Factory Airbox is not reinforced with anything. THIS is the hose that could be collapsing under boost.

If you get the ru-1390 (if my memory serves me). Jeff M found the best one I think. You can use it on the turbo or cold air intake, very cool 8) .

look at my new one. just finished it hmmm 2 days ago. It is a tgp upper intake pipe chopped up and welded back at the perfect angle. I still have my battery under the coolant bottle there. pics are on the link below.

• 2 weeks later...

i lovethe black on black, looks sick. i'm having the same boost problem, my cruise controle caught on fire so i thought it could be from that, but mine has the same symtems so i'll try that if my hood will open. :cry: