Transmission Solenoid

89Cutlass

I have been experiencing shudder in my transmission and its definetlly the torque converter locking up to early. Its fine when im not touching the gas on when i give it half throttle or more, only when im just crusin along with my foot barely on the gas i can disegage it buy holding my foot on the brake. My question is can i unplug the transmission solenoid and do you guys think that the solenoid is the problem. How hard is it to change it ?

well, you have the 4T60/TH440T4, right?? Well, you can unplug the sensor for the lock up solenoid. You just wont have torque converter lockup, but It'll get you around until you have time to replace it. The sensor is on top of the transmission, very close to where it bolts to the engine. It is on the front of the transmission, by front I mean on the side closest to the front of the car. You can unplug it without taking anything off to get to it. The best way to get to it, is from the left side of the air box and lock under it with a flashlight and you should see 4 or 5 wires going into a plug into the tranny. Unplug it, and see what happens. If it runs fine, the solenoid is your problem. If it is still messing up, you got other more serious issues. But, have you changed your fluid in a while?? That seems to help a tranny out a lot if your having problems with it. You might change the fluid first. To change the solenoid, you have to take the side pan of the tranny off. I had very similar problmes, but mine turned out to be the crank sensor wire was shorting out. THe dealer ship qouted me $475 to do the solenoid and $660 for the torque converter. You can probably do the solenoid yourself, but you might want to get a manual or ask someone that really know how to do it.

I hope some of that helps. Let me know what happens and if you need some more help just holla at me.

-Robby

i have changed my fluid i changed it about a month ago the problem really isnt bad it just seems to shift into 4th gear right away if i take of slowly. the other thing i was thinking was the modulator valve. that has alot to do with shifting. could it be that

possibly, I would try unpluggin that sensor to see if it is the solenoid, that sensor controls, TC lock up, 1st gear switch, 4th gear switch and two solenoids, try that. I dont know how to check for the modulator valve though

-Robby

You were right man i unplugged the connector at the front of the tranny and just drove around for 15min and didnt notice a thing wrong with the car so i guess it is the solenoid thats not working right...

also some guy told me that if the engine isnt in perfect tune it will cause the tranny to shudder. The funny thing is that it only started doing this when i installed brand new ignition wires.

You sure they are a good set? It happens often that brand new parts are broken...

Might not be a bad idea to get another set and swap them out to make sure. The mechanic is correct, engine problems will be amplified 10x when the trans is in lockup. You feel everything. And the chance for a torque convertor that is locked to slip or shudder is next to none. So as long as it goes in to lockup and comes out when it should, I'd look more at the engine than to trans.

Jason

you are right beacause i really dont have any problems with the tranny just when it goes into lockup it shudders but it does dissengauge when it is supposed to. the engine seems to idle fine though. no misses nothing like that. ill try the old set of wires i had and see if that makes a difference. Also is it bad for the tranny to drive with the solenoid unplugged ?

having the solenoid not plugged in will not hurt the tranny or the motor, you'll just lose some MPG cuz the reason the TC lockups is for MPG. You'll just run more RPMs on the highway. But eclipse5302 has a good point, try some new wires and even plugs if you havent changed them in while. And since you have fresh tranny fluid, you should be good. what about other things on the motor, like your TB is it clean, air filter, fuel filter, injectors all that stuff. If any of those are clogged, you might get some shudder in the motor. If you do a pretty good tune on the engine, and the prob still persists, then your solenoid might be messed. Do a tune up, plug the sensor back in, and see what happens. If it still messes up, then the solenoid is your prob.

-Robby

Yeah, it won't hurt your transmission if your TCC is unplugged. All of those wires in that plug are used for the TCC. You will lose mileage, though.

But definatley, go through the engine with a good tuneup, and check everything over. Like I said, the TCC will NOT slip once engaged (it can, but it's very unlikely). So any shudder you are feeling is most likely a problem with the engine that you just can't feel unless there is that direct connection through the driveline that the TCC provides.

Let us know what happens.

Jason

Jason, Your up late! 89 Cutlass. I had the same problem until I changed the x over pipe. Just be driving along and it would clunk, more like a bang and the car would shudder. My wife would want me to turn around and go home. I would guess the the o2 sensor was destroyed by the exhaust leak. I don't know if thats your problem but I just thought the more info you have the better it would be.

I'am going to bed.

Well since ive unplugged the tcc connection it has drove like it use to. As soon as i get some more Cash im going to get some new wires. the plugs are almost brand new so im just going to remove them and inspect them. but as for the exhaust i do need a new cat converter its all broken up inside. but its been like that for a while now. I am almost certain its something like a wire or a plug. ill just have to test it all.

Thanks for all the info guys ill let you no what happens

I was talking to my brother and he said since i have a totally gone catalytic converter it could be causing the car to shift to early and thats what is making the tcc shudder when its engaged because it does engage when its supposed to

yeah I never thought of that but when the Cat gets old, its doesnt flow at all sometimes, and you lose some serious power. Yeah, not having good exhaust flow will cause it to shudder when the TC is locked up. Well man, good luck a new replacement cat is very cheap. Again, good luck and let us know.

-Robby

Well when i go under the car and bang on the cat with my fist you can here stuff rattling around inside it. so i no its gone its pretty anoying. i wonder how much a muffler shop would charge to install a new cat. the muffler is fine and there are no leaks in the rest of the exhaust as far as i no..

Shouldnt be too much to install a new one. It wont take them 5 minutes to cut your old one and put a new one in. They put me turbo tube in in like 5 minutes. Plus, the replacement cat wont be but like $30-40. Hope it works out for you man.

-Robby