I'm new and kinda hate my Cutlass. Looking for rims/lowering

Talisman

Well I figured I would sign up. Saw this link on some 4 door cutlass at the dragstrip. I'll be honest with you guys. I'm not really very fond of this car. Without going into details and sounding like a troll, I will basically just say I got stuck with it since my last car died until I can buy the GTO I want a little later in the year. Anyway, this car I think would probably make a great beater but I have to make it at least bearable and right now I pretty much despise driving it. I figure I'll probably just put my old radio in it but something has to be done about the horrible handling and brakes. I can find brake pads but is their any simple way to lower this car. I have a 95 Cutlass coupe by the way. I also am looking for some CHEAP 19's to put on this car. Suspension and wheels are my only real concern. I have a muffler and probably a K & N I will throw on the car just so it doesn't sound soooo wheezy and for a slight bit more pep(car is SLOW). I guess I should check the for sale forum huh? But help with the suspension and some good brake pads would be much appreciated.Thanks in advance.

why do all of that if you're getting a GTO soon?

I'm with Robby on this one.

But, if you do want to waste your money on the car instead of saving it for your GTO, here's a little list of stuff you can do:

Suspension Technique or Intrax Front lowering springs for a Monte Carlo

Birchmount or Flex-a-Form Rear Monoleaf, or you can get some Coilovers

Addco sway bars

Upgrade to FE3 suspension swaybars

Poly Bushings

GMPP Trailing Arms

KYB-GR2's all around with new mounts all around as well.

why do all of that if you're getting a GTO soon?

:withstupid:

Just makes no financial sense, just save your money for the GTO. Now if you were going to be stuck with it for 5yrs I might understand.

It's not like anything you do to it now will increase its resale value.

There is no simple way to lower the car. Springs will cost you almost $300 total, not including labor at $65/hr, and even with the cheapest 19's known to mankind, that's at least $1000.

Slick's already told you what you need for suspension parts... the cheap 19's, check Ebay. I've seen RVM-brand 19's there for less than $600/set shipped for chrome.

Sorry for my rambling. It was late last night and psting was kinda just an afterthought before I went to bed.

Actually you guys are right. Spending money on the car would be useless. I can't even get up the motivation to wash it. I just let it rain on the car to clean it. I just really want to not hate it so much as I do have to drive it around for 3 or 4 more months. And as it is the coupe body style with the ground effects, I see the potential although I still am not too fond of it's looks.

Money would be much better sent on the downpayment though. Gonna just suffer for a bit longer I guess

do yourself a favor and save that money for the GTO. Aftermarket wheels will help the appearance significantly, but thats a lot of dough for a few month driver...

It was a 4 door earlier model year cutlass with mismatch body panels. This was this past saturday night at Milan Dragstrip in Milan michigan about 45 minutes south west of Detroit(to be specific). It was some special street race drag/show night or some crap. I drove my Cutlass there but parked away from everyone racing. lol Not even interested in what it would run. I was there to show of a business car of mine and see the bikini contest. :D

If I had a 5 speed(or maybe even auto) with the 3.4 liter, I probably woulda ran it though just for the hell of it.

with mismatch body panels.

Sounds like most cars on this board.

Well that's pretty sad actually.

I just miss having a nimble little fun to drive car. My last car I had to finally put to rest was a 1990 Camry. Pretty boring car stock if I do say so myself. But I had wasted a ton of money on it. had swaped engine, auto to 5 speed swap, custom trans, short shifter, clutch, flywheel, lots of bolt ons, suspension, rims, audio system, custom paint, brakes, blah blah blah. I loved that car. Wasn't that fast(definitely better than the cutlass though) but it was a ton of fun to drive and looked very good for its age and what it was.

The suspension and brakes are 50% of the problem with this cutlass IMO. They are horrible. I don't really feel safe in it.

And rims would add a TON to the appearance of the car. Whatever. Maybe I will hit the lottery or something so I won't actually care about wasting money on it.

Not bad... would be better if it weren't gold. :lol:

and it didn't have the fugly ass sawblade wheels...

believe it or not, you can make those Cutlass coupes look pretty slick

I know. I can tell it has potential(plus the one in the e-body logo looks really good). Every now and then I will look at it from the side and it has really good lines. If I was really interested in making it not suck, I would shave the dumb@ss ridges on it, tint the windows, add black rims with polished lip, lower it, and add my old muffler I have lying around from my Camry. It would look good. I am sure of that. The instead of getting rid of the car when I buy the GTO or whatever I am getting, I would probbaly just keep it as a winter beater.If I come into some money soon, I might still do that.

I know. I can tell it has potential(plus the one in the e-body logo looks really good). Every now and then I will look at it from the side and it has really good lines. If I was really interested in making it not suck, I would shave the dumb@ss ridges on it, tint the windows, add black rims with polished lip, lower it, and add my old muffler I have lying around from my Camry. It would look good. I am sure of that. The instead of getting rid of the car when I buy the GTO or whatever I am getting, I would probbaly just keep it as a winter beater.If I come into some money soon, I might still do that.

well, thats a start...at least I sense a little optimism in your thoughts!